Arabian "Type" Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the two are most like your ideal "Arabian Miniature" in relation to type?

• Horse #1:

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Horse #2:

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Horse #3:

Votes: 38 40.4%

• Total voters
Well, I don't post much on here anymore...just due to lack of time...

And while I agree I rarely see a mini that makes me think...oh that's a mini Arab, but I do see several that to me have an "arab look" about them, a "modern" mini ...or type, whatever your preference of wording. Just like there are some minis that have a "look" of a quarter horse, saddlebred, morgan ext....I have some of each probably out in my field. I am more drawn to the look of the arabs and saddlebred....or national show horses......so I'd like to think that most of my minis fall in that line of "look"

Here is a filly to me that if she were bigger she'd possibly look like an arab...

Aziza as a weanling at 27.5" - she was National Champion Open Weanling filly, National Champion Futurity Weanling filly, Res. National Champion Owned and Bred by

316396_660228844672_73103993_33933563_942226730_n.jpg

just this week, as a yearling - no conditioned or full clipped, has only been in the barn two weeks, and no sweats or formal conditioning.....so I think she will only improve

559804_742688000862_73103993_34313059_1681643991_n.jpg

Erica, Aziza is BEAUTIFUL! How tall is she now as a yearling, and how tall do you think she'll mature?

Thanks Parmela - at present she's under 31" at a full year......so.......who knows she may stay A size she's definetly on track as my foals usually grow fast..... She's AMHR/ASPC, sire and dam are just 35"......

Each breed can have several "types" in them. Arabians come in all shapes and sizes as well as quarter horses just to name two breeds. They are typed according to what they are used for , for the most part. I have no problem with people saying that a mini looks "Araby". I think this stems from arched necks, dished faces and a flatter croup. I have seen some more extreme then others in "Arab" type and most of these seem to be halter horses. I personally like a little more substance to my minis then the pencil legged refinement I see winning halter classes. However, I love the hooky necks and dished faces. So if I had to pick a breed to represent out lil minis, I would choose a Morgan which would be substance with a great head and neck.

In the poll, I think "Araby" type would be a blend of # 2 & # 3. I personally like # 3 better (Morgan look) but # 2 is young and may mature in a way I find pleasing to my eye. None of the 3 offer and extreme exotic Arabian look in my opinion.

I have never seen a pic of a mini, without anything to reference the height, and thought "that's an Arabian." They just don't look close enough to ever be mistaken for one or really even accurately called "arabian type." But that's must my opinion. In sort of a nod to another thread going on right now, I do believe it's MUCH harder to get balance, refinement, long necks, etc., in the 34" and under mini. I believe that is what has lead many to incorporate ASPC stock into their breeding programs. It's just plain easier to breed for a certain look when you are dealing with horses in the 38" and plus range. That's just the truth. So maybe for some it's easier to breed and sell those. NOTE: I'm not saying breeding of any quality animial is easy, but easier in some cases. It's darn difficult to breed for a refined and balanced horse when the mature height is 30". That's just a fact. And it's still difficult in a mature animal that is 34" and under. But it gets easier as the horse gets taller.

But, if ever I saw an under 34" horse that I thought could truly be called "Arabian type" it's that filly above of Erica's. Folks, THAT'S a quality breeding program and even so, with all the national champions Erica has produced, how many are as refined and TINY as that one? She's one in a million in my opinion. Another one that comes to mind is Squirt. He's tiny and extremely well proportioned. He's not nearly as refined at Aziza, but for his size, he's extremely rare. Just my two cents. Now I'll go back into hiding!lol

As someone that used to breed arabs, Parm, I agree with you! That is one beautiful small horse and has the arab look! Just stunning! Does she want to move to Maryland?

But, if ever I saw an under 34" horse that I thought could truly be called "Arabian type" it's that filly above of Erica's. Folks, THAT'S a quality breeding program and even so, with all the national champions Erica has produced, how many are as refined and TINY as that one?

Don't get me wrong she is a very pretty filly, but this kind of wording is exactly what is a problem...Not ALL horse breeds look like arabs, so why should all minis and why should that only be considered quality breeding? I have seen quite a few minis 34" and under that were very refined and heck, I have even seen some minis that had NO legs at all and were some of the cutest little things I ever saw...Maybe we just need to realize we truly aren't dealing with horses but ponies no matter what we call them...some ponies do tend to look more like a horse than others...if it is a size breed, they should all be welcomed and enjoyed, every type depending on one's preference.
default_smile.png
I still say it should come down to balance. A well balanced horse is beautiful regardless of what "type" they are mimicing.

What if the words:

Fine

Foundation

Draft

were used? Would there be as much controversy?

What if the words:

Fine

Foundation

Draft

Maybe! We all see with different eyes... I like your list, and if I were coming up with "the catagories", I would take yours and add one more -- stock. A lot of times, peope talk about a "draft" mini where I see more of a stock (quarter horse type), or vice versa. My favorite kind of mini are the ones with beauty and refinement that are built to DO things -- good chests and butts
default_yes.gif

Okay. Really? I haven't read through the whole post, but I did vote and say that #2 looked the most "Arabian".

The Arabian has contributed to virtually every modern breed of horse and pony, including the Thoroughbred (a breed created with heavy influence of the Arab in the 17th and 18th centuries), which has, in turn, heavily influenced many sport horse breeds since...; the Welsh Pony also has a very heavy influence of Arab blood (that's where the dishy head comes in); and the Shetland Pony; which, then, includes all sorts of other ponies....including minis (which have Welsh, Shetland, and God knows what other breeds in it). It's analogous to saying that the Modern American Shetland has a "Hackney Look"; the first time I saw a Modern American Shetland I said, "What?! LOL...That's a Hackney Pony!".

Miniatures are a height breed...I've seen very delicate ones, very boxy ones, and every thing in between. But many have much more Welsh (and therefore Arabian) in them.....Maybe we should compare them to section A Welsh ponies (my favourite
default_smile.png

And, yes, Aziza is gorgeous...and very much an Arabian type mini, I'd say
default_wub.png
....without question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is my own opinion, but when looking in the amha magazine I think the super dishy head is so way over done and some don't even look like horses anymore. I've had non horsie friends see the magazines and say ' ew what's wrong with that horses head!?!' *no offense to anyone*

Im not a breeder and I agree with only breeding mares and stallions that are healthy confirmation and genetics, but I feel the 'Arab' type minis are getting to be too man made.

Kales..I tend to agree. The first pics I saw of the extreme mini dish shape looked more like a deformity than an asset. But then, I also feel there is more Icelandic in them than we hear about. In any case, I love them all!

Personally, I am not a fan of the "arabian" style miniatures.

I like a nice, fine, conformed animal but I would rather have a performance bred mini with some legs than a Arabian style mini with a neck that resembles a serpents. (My opinion)

I don't see the use of an arabian style miniatures. Arabians (halter) are becoming animals for the only use of prancing around and setting up. No riding or whatever. We as miniature horse enthusiasts try daily to fight the question, "What can you do with a miniature?" Why would we want to base our ponies off a horse that has no use other than looking "pretty"?

If I ever get into breeding I don't want to breed such animals. I want miniatures that can jump and pull a cart; not stand their and lift its head it for me in the ring.

Well honestly, there is a lot more to Arabian type than a long snakey neck! I have to say that Miniatures are still a very, very long way from looking anything like the extreme "halter type" Arabian some here are referring to. I agree with Jean B--I've never yet seen a Mini that truly looks like an Arabian--certainly I have never yet seen one that I would ever mistake for an Arabian even if I saw it in a photo with nothing else to compare to and judge the horse's size by. There is just a world of difference between Arabian and Miniatures.

I have to point out that it takes more than legs to make a performance horse. It takes more than substance to make a performance horse. There is absolutely no reason why a refined horse with a long, never-needs-sweating-to-look-good-in-a-halter-class neck can't have everything else it takes to make a good performance horse.

If I owned Erica's filly, I sure would call her "Arabian Type" She is gorgeous. I had Arabians back in the 70's, and I love the breed. And No, I have never seen a Mini that truely looks like an Arabian.... But since I love Arabians, I don't see any reason that I can't strive to have a little horse that may resemble an Arab.. I have been trying for over 30 years... and do I have a little Arabian yet? Nope, Do I ever expect to have a "true" Mini Arab? Nope....but I will keep trying. (oh, and I'd like color with mine too LOL)

What if the words:

Fine

Foundation

Draft

great idea but out of curiosity whats the difference between foundation and a draft , I always thought they were the same thing

I think until you can make a definition for foundation type for miniatures it can be anything. Too me I consider it to be the stock/draft type.

If I were to separate everything by type I would break it down like this personally:

Pleasure/Saddle

Stock/Hunter

Draft

The majority of minis are the Stock/Hunter type but those who show and win in halter are more of your Pleasure/Saddle types.

Latest posts

Back