Arabian Ears???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't the best example but my appy filly, Delight, has some awesome arabian ears for a miniature, in my opinion! They are slender and tippy and they are tighter together than this photo shows (she had one ear paying attention elsewhere!)

DelightEars.jpg

And I think she has a great example of an arabian head, not TOO much of a "bump" as someone was calling it, and her nose slims down then gets wider near the nostrils - my dream girl =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Lyn, I personally think placement on the head is a whole other issue. I have seen minis as well as Arabs, infact all horses, with ears set too far back on their head and I have seen them so low on the forehead that they look like part of the forelock. I do laugh every time I see those certain set of ears.

To me.........any ear........no matter where they are place on the head........that is not straight up, like in the second box and others, (lets say a 90 degree angle( in my opinion is on the verge of loppiness. :lol: I am sure that isn't even a word. There are just different degrees! Not a really bad thing unless they are more like 45 degrees. I PERSONALLY...............and this is just me, want my horses to have a tight ear. It is a part of the total expression that makes up what I find attractive.

[SIZE=18pt]NOW I THINK I AM GOING TO EAT SOME CARROT SALAD! :new_shocked: [/SIZE]

WHAT'S UP DOC!
lgpp0573.jpg

actually lop eared rabbits have very specific criteria of correct
default_wink.png
:

I may be more of an ear fanatic than most one because of arabs and 2 because of my rabbits....one breed I worked with required ears so tight that they touched BUT had to also be small and open
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: my other breed allowed for less closeness but must be open and small ...this breed was overrun with bad ears...in fact my buck the great one
default_wink.png
: ...that was his major flaw it drove me nuts
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: whats worse is ears seem to be very hereditary so if you get bad ears in a line good luck getting them back out
default_wacko.png
:
default_unsure.png
:

Look at box 1 and 6. Box one is slightly lopped. When ears do not stand straight up and go off to each side they are variations of lopped. See the "V" formation?
Now look at box 6.......those are severely lopped. Anything from 1 to 6 is NOT a tight ear.

ttouch7s.jpg
I think that what Carol is trying to say is Lop ears has as much to do with placement as position.... If the ears are places further back on the head or out to the side more even at the base they can be considered lop is that right ?Lyn
To me.........any ear........no matter where they are place on the head........that is not straight up, like in the second box and others, (lets say a 90 degree angle( in my opinion is on the verge of loppiness. I am sure that isn't even a word. There are just different degrees!
Okay, I'm biting my tongue until it's bleeding here. Basically: Nope. Nada. Uh-uh. No way. Not correct. Sorry, do not get out of jail free.

My objection here is to using the term "lop ear" to mean anything not straight up, not to anyone's preference for a "tight ear" versus another kind of ear. A lop ear is a very specific condition and it is NOT one found on any normal horse. Now my memory does fail me as to exact medical cause and if it is strictly congenital or can be caused by injury as well, but I do remember from my 4-H judging days that a lop ear is strictly picture 6 or worse, with no ability to lift the ear up. I think they can sort of swing them forward or back along the sides of the head, but they can't raise them into a normal vertical position. Horses may have one ear this way or both, but it is an actual defect and not a conformational preference issue.

Ears like those seen on horse #1 are perfectly normal and in fact found on most non-hotblooded breeds. My arab Spyderman has ears like that and I find them adorable and friendly (his are slightly more hooky at the tips than the example picture.) You'd better believe though that if he sees something snort-worthy those ears radar forward to point at each other with tips close together! :bgrin #1 is a picture of a relaxed ear posture for him.

I own the book that diagram was taken out of, and Linda Tellington Jones uses that diagram to show some different NORMAL ear shapes/positions and then explains what they can sometimes mean about a horse's personality. Ears that form a V like that (tips further apart than the base) usually indicate a friendly and open personality.

Leia

Oh that is too funny! A bit long but they are definitely TIGHT! :lol: TOO CUTE! Is he/she palomino too?

Uh Rory. I don't think people really get the idea of lopped! Flopped maybe......but not lopped! :lol:

You wanted to see EARS!?

wyliebugfc.jpg

wyliepose%20.jpg

Everyone that sees her says "palomino". The registry thinks she is a light sorrel. However, one of her siblings was thought to be a possible palomino and he is a bright, beautiful ORANGE sorrel. I'm sticking with Palomino for this little girl!

Minimule,

You are doing great with the mini mules!!! Love those ears!! My two mini mules are now going on two and one is already broke to drive! ( Driven very lightly till older) One that came out of my arab type mare has a beautiful head with VERY TIPPY ears! Both have been sold but I get to see them all the time!! Gotta love them! Everyone ask why I don't breed my mares again with the same stud. Just wish I could get into the breeding thing! Dag on it!!! Just too much worry for me. But it would be a good market in my area, I just worry too much where they will go. So not me! Love your palomino!!!! That's what I'd say she is too!

quote name='minimule' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:46 AM' post='539166']

Oh that is too funny! A bit long but they are definitely TIGHT! :lol: TOO CUTE! Is he/she palomino too?

Uh Rory. I don't think people really get the idea of lopped! Flopped maybe......but not lopped! :lol:

You wanted to see EARS!?

wyliebugfc.jpg

wyliepose%20.jpg

Everyone that sees her says "palomino". The registry thinks she is a light sorrel. However, one of her siblings was thought to be a possible palomino and he is a bright, beautiful ORANGE sorrel. I'm sticking with Palomino for this little girl!

Hmmm..

As a head hunter myself, ears and eyes are a must LOL...

Here are some of my favs..

Guess who LOL

ClononeenDiarmuid1.jpg

When this mare looks at you dead on they almost touch together..she was "swiveling" her ears when the picture snapped, but it does show the sharp inward tips...

justbarbiebridle.jpg

This is Spider at 3 hours. I really have to get a recent pic..his ears are wicked tipped and tiny

spiderears.jpg

Can you see'em?? LOL These are really nice ears..tippy, tiny and definately uses them LOL

mirage.jpg

My objection here is to using the term "lop ear" to mean anything not straight up, not to anyone's preference for a "tight ear" versus another kind of ear. A lop ear is a very specific condition and it is NOT one found on any normal horse. Ears like those seen on horse #1 are perfectly normal

Leia
Well, see Leia, that is what again is nice about opinion. Nobody said they were not NORMAL or DEFECTIVE. Although box number 1 was pushing the envelope I did not have a correct photo to use. So I did the best with what I had. And to me, any ears that angle out at all, I called lopped. Just different degrees. And I am not talking about a congential defect either. It's just a generalized term. MANY minis carry that earset......but many do not. As I said in my post I prefer horses ears not to be set like that. I prefer a good tight ear. You like ears one way, I like them another.

Yes, I do know whose book that is and all the terms. Kind of silly.
default_wacko.png
:

And here is another example of a a generalized term.

A "wry" tail in a tail that is flopped over to the side and one that can NEVER be carried properly. A definite genetic oddity.

BUT......... many people refer to horses that carry a tail off to the side as having a "wry" tail even though that horse can carry his tail properly from time to time. (not truly a wry tail)

I PERSONALLY would never own a horse that did not carry as straight tail or have a tendency to look like a wry tail. Again, a generalized term.

Vertical Limit, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge on the various types of ears.. That little palomino of mini mules has got a nice set of straight ones thats for sure. Mine have all got the "slight" varying degrees of the V, unless I get a angle shot that might give them a different impression. But I do think that most minis have this as a typical trait, and it is so common that it is not faulted unless truly lopped lol. Thankyou for sharing the chart.
default_yes.gif
: Here is a close up of prince. He would probably qualify as photo #1
princehead.jpg

Oh please show me more ears. I love it. Not too many people take pictures of Miniatures straight on, so it is hard to tell, but I think that BTU has very tight ears.
I had a BTU son who had the cutest tippy ears well yes hooky ears if that is even a term

But I do think that most minis have this as a typical trait, and it is so common that it is not faulted unless truly lopped lol. Thankyou for sharing the chart.
default_yes.gif
: Here is a close up of prince. He would probably qualify as photo #1 [
Margaret, that chart is obviously not what I had in mind. It was sent to me by a lurker because I could not find something better and as I said #1 was pushing the envelope. One day I will find my stuff from judging school and post the "real" thing. I do not find ears like your horse offensive at all........but when they get to that 45 degree angle it just looks DUMB. Again, my opinion. Actually I have always admired that photo. I think he's quite cute.

Ok, number 6 would be what we call cow eared around here, hmm, could be because we have so many cows and so many cow horses around the area. :bgrin

Krisp

Cow-eared, that is what I call them too. I remember my first experience with this. I was asked if I would handle a little filly at Nationals in a color class for some people we were stalled next to. I thought she was a darling filly and said sure.

We got in the ring and when we stopped and I asked her to stand up she sure did give me ears, OMG, they did not come up and toward me they just went out, I mean straight out. I started chuckling and I couldn't stop. I was expecting them to start spinning and the filly was going to take off!

All kidding aside, I think most of our miniatures have the cute little pony ears that you see in diagram 10 of the chart with varying degrees of tippy. They are typically small and oh so cute. I personally like a smaller ear and with the Arab ears that are a bit longer, if they are not "right" it is oh-so evident.

Actually I have always admired that photo. I think he's quite cute.
Gosh thanks,
default_blush.png
: I dont mind using him as example for this post. Maybe somone can learn something about what is and what is not a fault.

I couldn't guite figure the chart out. I did regonize number 6. I've had them. But, am

I right in thinking that if the ears are not put on just right they can't give you them in a show. I have had a lot of little ones with little ears (kind of looking like ice cream cones sticking out the side) that don't seem to be able to put them ahead when you try to get them to show. You rock the horse back then try to bring him out and back go the ears. Maybe it is just me as I could take a Champion horse in and not get a ribbon.

This is my new filly "Lucky Harts Busy Lizzy" I really liked her ears among other things. I can't wait till she arrives!

busylizzy2.jpg

IVE SEEN THOSE EARS RABBIT ARENT THEY A RARE BREED OF A CERTAIN COUNTRY WHERE THEY NEARLY TOUCH EACH OTHER??? I THOUGH THEY WERE REALLY FUNNY WHEN I FIRST SAW THEM
default_yes.gif
:
nice1fh.jpg
THESE ARE MY FANCY HEELS, WE EARS, WHEN I BOUGHT HER I DIDNT REALISE UNTIL I CLIPPED HER THAT SOMTHING HAD BITTEN THE TOP OF ONE OF THEM, :eek: THE OTHER ONES LOVLEY LOL :bgrin IVE NOTICED SOME BEAUTIFUL EARS ON OUR FORUM FRIENDS HORSES, IM GLAD THIS POST WAS STARTED AS ITS BROUGHT MY ATTENTION TO EARS LOL
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back