Arabian Ears???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
Another thread got me to thinking. Does an Arabian horse have short ears? I think that they look long,and expressive, maybe I am wrong. Are there others out there that are ear nuts like me. Renee

Ofcourse Arabians have larger ears. Especially mares. But I am and ear nut and every Arabian I own has had what we call "TIGHT" ears. It's part of what makes up overall expression to me. Lop ears can be any size but kind of sit like a "V" on a horses head. (point a bit tilted outward)

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it comes from the genes. my arabain gelding blackie has long pointly ears. but his dams were short & pointly. his sires were long & pointy. but if you watch the old black stallion movies & look on my geldings picture you may see. hes also the black stallions great grandson.
default_yes.gif
:

Blackie

another funny thing is my mini filly has tiny arabian ears.
default_wub.png
: so cute!

[SIZE=18pt]The arabians we had had large ears however they were usually hooked towards each other.... like Carol said ...also had slightly turned in tips..... hooky ears if that makes any sense.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Here's a picture of my 3/4-Arabian gelding. Excuse the goofy picture (he's an in-your-face kind of guy), but it does show his ears pretty well.

Cheddar-Aug2004.jpg

He's 21 years old in this picture (he's going to be 23 in May, 2006).

Oh please show me more ears. I love it. Not too many people take pictures of Miniatures straight on, so it is hard to tell, but I think that BTU has very tight ears.

[SIZE=18pt]here are some of our ears and X ears...lol sorry Amanda now owns Howie but Im looking for ear pics in my albums.[/SIZE]

f3fbe3ad.jpg

Side view of Sillouettes ears but she has the closest thing to an Arabian head that I have.... including ears.

f2d671c4.jpg
f2c99db4.jpg

f2e5d7bf.jpg

Carbons naturally forward pricky, hooky ears

Lyn

Gee, I have to leave for the afternoon. Hope there are lots of ears when I get back. I think we should have a tight hooky ear contest. Renee

Gee, I have to leave for the afternoon. Hope there are lots of ears when I get back. I think we should have a tight hooky ear contest. Renee
Obviously not a Mini.........

Now you can have TIGHT ears that are not necessarily HOOKY. But here is an example of TIGHT as well as HOOKY ears.

abha_myra3_sm.jpg

Abha Majaraani - 2005 National Champion Filly of Spain who happens to be a Marwan daughter.

Now those are Arabian ears Carol, the first hooky ones on here!

Somewhere I have some good pictures showing some very hooky Arabian ears, but none are on the computer.

I always think of Arabian ears as being longer & very hooky; some of our Morgans have had tight ears, a few were "almost" hooky, and others had short ears....I always referred to them as "pony ears"

Some Minis do have very cute ears, but they are short ears....and short ears are, to me, pony ears. I'm like Renee, I too like the longer, tighter ears on the Minis. I just looked through some pictures, & only now do I see how we just never take face shots...so, no front-on shots of ears here I guess!

[SIZE=18pt]Now that people is an ARABIAN HEAD!!!!! I would love to look at that face every day! Eye to muzzle length is longer than what we say we want in the minis but....look at the distance from tip of ear to eye and then eye to nostril,,,,that is equal!!!!!! Large expressive eyes, width between eyes, large nostrils on a tiny mussle as opposed to tiny slits for nostrils on a not so tiny muzzle...... This is the difference between the little "dishy" heads we say we like on "Arabian" type minis, who in reality have domed foreheads not dishes , short heads with nostrils on the tops of the muzzles..Those are related to the dwarfing gene that caused our minis to reduce size.... not an arabian look.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Karo's tight itty bitty tiny tippy ears. This was when she was 2 months old, you should see them now they are extremely tippy and very very hairy :bgrin

29150julylaur.JPG

I know I have some more tippy ear pictures around, I'll look for them.

Now those are Arabian ears Carol, the first hooky ones on here!

Some Minis do have very cute ears, but they are short ears....and short ears are, to me, pony ears.
Well, Minimor, I totally agree. Pony ears are really short tiny ears. Cute! But I didn't want to say that because some would take offense and I am not trying to belittle Minis at all. They are what they are.

I love the cute little short ears on a mini. Charmed......Karo is darling!

Now I just wish I show a good example of LOP as well as ears set way too far forward and too far back. We just cannot post pictures of other peoples horses on the Forum.

[SIZE=18pt]Here ya go Carol.... I admit I have one....here is my beloved Fancy....thank God she doesnt pass these along to her children![/SIZE]

f52f9822.jpg

Lyn

Ok, here are my guys ears.

Minis first, they have tinny, tiny pony ears, although they look longer and tighter in the summer without all of the extra hair!

Suzy's ears

img052.jpg

Locita's ears

img049.jpg

Now for my big guys.

Geronimo,(arab) his are a lot tighter and longer than they look, Santa hat is pushing them apart!
default_wink.png
:

img056.jpg

My anglo-arab mare, First Tyme, who we no longer have ( I can't find my good pic of her ears, but they were so long I swear she was half mule!)

img057.jpg

And the best ears we've ever had. I don't know what this guy was, but I'm thinking he had a little Saddlebred, Arab, and Quarter in him or something. We lost him a few years ago to a spinal disease.

img058.jpg
img053.jpg

They were a lot tighter than this pic makes them look.

img055.jpg

funny you should mention that Lyn! Lately it has been a discussion about head shape and how many people call mini's dishyed head when infact allt hey have is a BUMP on their forehead. I've yet to see a arab that is "dishy" to have a big bumped forhead..what makes a arab dishy is because it truly has a concaved nasal bone and because their muzzles are a bit wider...NOT because they have a big bump so the nose is dipped in after the bump..LOL personally i hate seeing a big bummped forhead. I'd have to leave the forlock long and cover it up if i had one with a big bumped forehead. I think more people making the comments need to examine a true arabian and then try to BREED for the true characteristics not a big bumped forehead! lol I also see alot of people talking about how in a halter mini you should have small little refined ears..well honestly i like to see a more natural look than little bitty ears..nicely shaped PROPORTIONATE ears are more my taste.

funny you should mention that Lyn! Lately it has been a discussion about head shape and how many people call mini's dishyed head when infact allt hey have is a BUMP on their forehead. I've yet to see a arab that is "dishy" to have a big bumped forhead..what makes a arab dishy is because it truly has a concaved nasal bone and because their muzzles are a bit wider...NOT because they have a big bump so the nose is dipped in after the bump..LOL personally i hate seeing a big bummped forhead.
Well, I have to be honest here and say there are many who like that bump on an Arab. It's called a "JIBBAH" Personally, I don't like it......I prefer a nice flat broad forehead. But that is why they paint cars different colors! We all have our likes and dislikes. It is not considered a fault with Arabs, just a preference. Big difference.

Carol

l2.jpg

The mare in my avatar has nice ears for a mini, IMHO...here she is again in a different photo.

Oh, a question...what is the definition of "tight" ears?

I always equated it with smaller ears, a compact sort of look to them...but I think in looking at the other photos and captions, that maybe it is more meaning the ears that naturally prick towards each other, being closer together when in that position?

Interesting thread.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

Not only lovely ears but lovely head also.She makes my heart melt!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

l2.jpg

The mare in my avatar has nice ears for a mini, IMHO...here she is again in a different photo.

Interesting thread.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back