Aquarium

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever have any questions about your fish aquarium feel free to message me. My dad owned an Aquarium business for 16 years so a lot of his knowledge rubbed off on me as I was growing up
default_smile.png
It's quite pleasant to have a fish tank.
Oh, thank you! The crayfish shed his skin recently. My heart turned over when I saw that skin, thinking he had died. But, then I saw his little claws on the edge of the hidey place we put in for him, so I knew it was just a skin. He is very active, and I've seen him lurking in the greenery, as though he wants to grab the fish, but I think they are too large for him.

My husband is now making noises about jazzing up our aquarium with color. He's looking at Ram Cichlids. They're supposed to be okay with Angel Fish and won't bother our two "suckers" at the bottom.

Marsha, Have you named your crayfish yet? I was thinking...Elvis...As in "Blue Suede Shoes".....Yeah, I know it's a stretch....LOL.

My husband is now making noises about jazzing up our aquarium with color. He's looking at Ram Cichlids. They're supposed to be okay with Angel Fish and won't bother our two "suckers" at the bottom.

Marsha, Have you named your crayfish yet? I was thinking...Elvis...As in "Blue Suede Shoes".....Yeah, I know it's a stretch....LOL.
Do you have a recent photo of your setup?

Grand daughter suggested Percy for the crayfish. Elvis and the blue suede shoes is a cool idea.

So, I want to continue my words about this. Actually, there are different types of species that are soo interesting. Not so long ago, I've read about bristle worms! They are quite similar to Bobbit worms, with some differences. Personally, I'm a person that likes the fact of the presence of different species. Most of them are quite interesting for me, since I'm a biologist. However, this tip arcreef.com has helped me to understand the meaning of them for a long time ago. However, since then, I'm learning more about species...

So, I want to continue my words about this. Actually, there are different types of species that are soo interesting. Not so long ago, I've read about bristle worms! They are quite similar to Bobbit worms, with some differences. Personally, I'm a person that likes the fact of the presence of different species. Most of them are quite interesting for me, since I'm a biologist. However, this tip arcreef.com has helped me to understand the meaning of them for a long time ago. However, since then, I'm learning more about species...
How many gallons would you say is needed to create an environment for diversity? I'm thinking of upgrading. I like the bow front, but I will need a more efficient filter system.

How many gallons would you say is needed to create an environment for diversity? I'm thinking of upgrading. I like the bow front, but I will need a more efficient filter system.
I apologize if answering is inappropriate, since your question wasn't directed at me...

It depends on the size and activity level of the species you are wanting to keep. Also how many you are wanting to keep. Also the shape of the tank plays a part. Active fish appreciate a longer tank. Bigger is better in fish keeping, so you might want to decide how big of a tank you have space for and are comfortable with keeping. Then you can pick some appropriate species for that size tank. The next step would be making sure they all like the same water conditions such as temperature and pH(soft or hard water). The last step is to make sure they will not harass each other, kill each other, or, out eat each other. I can hook you up with some websites I have found helpful.

Any aquarium suggestions are welcome!
I'm not upgrading at this time, but it's something I'm thinking of. Investment in time, knowledge, and money, so I have to think about it carefully.

When I am in the looking stage I like Live Aquaria's website. Really nice pictures, and quick stats and overview of each animal. I have never bought anything from them, but they are a good starting point for me because I like pictures. Then I check out youtube for anything I haven't seen in person to see how it swims and what it looks like in a tank. But my favorite website to learn how to take care of any fish, start and maintain any type of aquarium is Wet Web Media. It's a group of volunteer aquarists (all of them experts in their field, scientists, authors, or just really dedicated), who's goal is to educate people so they can be successful fish keepers. Articles on just about anything you can think of: species, compatibility issues, equipment, maintenance, different types of set-ups.

When I am in the looking stage I like Live Aquaria's website. Really nice pictures, and quick stats and overview of each animal. I have never bought anything from them, but they are a good starting point for me because I like pictures. Then I check out youtube for anything I haven't seen in person to see how it swims and what it looks like in a tank. But my favorite website to learn how to take care of any fish, start and maintain any type of aquarium is Wet Web Media. It's a group of volunteer aquarists (all of them experts in their field, scientists, authors, or just really dedicated), who's goal is to educate people so they can be successful fish keepers. Articles on just about anything you can think of: species, compatibility issues, equipment, maintenance, different types of set-ups.

Oh wow. Great suggestions. I will check out those sites.

To be honest, I have never kept several species together at once. Especially if they are crayfish and fish ... I do not know why, but I have a slight fear that they will not be able to live together and will destroy each other (although they are not). I have three small aquariums, about the same size as yours. I recently purchased a fourth for a bet. These are very amazing fish that I can look at for hours, it is very relaxing. True, when I found out about betta age, I felt a little sad that they live only 3-5 years, but this is not so little. Well, I hope everything is fine with your aquarium and various representatives of the aquatic fauna coexist with a peaceful life. Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back