Appy's Reserve National Champion Costume

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontworrybeappy

Reaction score
Johnny Johnston took these this spring - just finally got to getting them online!

jjappykarentp2web.jpg

default_wub.png
:

jjappykarentp3web.jpg

jjappytp1web.jpg

jjappytp2web.jpg

and the win photo from 2005...

db_ResNatChWin1-75dpi1.jpg

I saw the picture from the show before, but the closeups are awesome. :aktion033:

I love the banner.

Amanda

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awesome job making that costume. Did you do all the bead work?? Even looks to have some authentic fur pelts hanging on as well !! You could not have picked a better horse as far as coloring goes. I can see why the judges liked you guys. :aktion033: :aktion033: Thanks for finally showing us the pictures!!

What an awesome job making that costume. Did you do all the bead work?? Even looks to have some authentic fur pelts hanging on as well !! You could not have picked a better horse as far as coloring goes. I can see why the judges liked you guys. :aktion033: :aktion033: Thanks for finally showing us the pictures!!
I did the Indian costume because he's an appy - always wanted to have that kind of big horse costume but never had a big Appy! :bgrin

I made the whole thing for Appy - using real leather, real rabbit skins, about half and half real and "artificial" beads - I used puffy, shiny fabric paint for some of the beading... but even up close people think all the beads are real! I even made his "bridle" and leadline.... some leg decorations and some beaded and feathered mane and tail ties... a talking stick and some other "props".

Brenda and I bought the dresses from a Native American lady, (I embellished mine a bit) and B found the tipis at an online novelty store. I did the design and made the digital file for the banner and had it printed up... The jewelry was half made by me and half purchased.

I love it and I'd love to do costume again at Nationals, but I've got no idea how to top that!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

:aktion033: CONGRATULATIONS :aktion033:

Great Job, and a Wonderful Horse sets it off...
default_wink.png
:

How cute and how appropriate being an app! But great costume and how clever! (Horse Shows Make Us Two Tents!) Now answer a question for me since I have never seen a Mini costume class. Does somebody carry around the tents as you walk around them? I am just not sure how you incorporate props in your costume classes.

How cute and how appropriate being an app! But great costume and how clever! (Horse Shows Make Us Two Tents!) Now answer a question for me since I have never seen a Mini costume class. Does somebody carry around the tents as you walk around them? I am just not sure how you incorporate props in your costume classes.
here's the answer.... how we entered the arena!

db_ResNatChWin2-75dpi1.jpg

Yep - we were inside the tents, cut holes in the floors for our feet!

(and no, we did NOT practice beforehand, the first time Appy saw the banner or the walking tents was on the way INTO the arena!)
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Didn't bother him a bit!
db_nat-cost291.jpg

db_nat-cost151.jpg

:xbud: Not even when we ran out of the arena in our "victory pass"! :aktion033:

db_nat-cost141.jpg

Guess no one can tell how much I ADORE this horse, heh?
default_wub.png
: :bgrin :bgrin
default_wub.png
:

Thanks........that is pretty cool. Now why can't you just enter again using the same costume? Our biggest winners in costume have used the same costume over and over. Is there some rule or is it that it's your personal preference not to use the same costume?

Thanks........that is pretty cool. Now why can't you just enter again using the same costume? Our biggest winners in costume have used the same costume over and over. Is there some rule or is it that it's your personal preference not to use the same costume?
I know - I've used this Arabian costume for nearly 20 years, and it was over 20 years old when I refurbished it! I have NO plans to ever use another! Specially with the 90000 pearls sewn into this one!

db_db_Khornerstone_Costume211.jpg
db_bo-show11.jpg

but with Arabians, it's more of a performance class, with workmanship being a low percentage of the judging.... "originality" doesn't even enter into it!

With the minis, seems they look for new and exciting ideas every year!

Oh so gorgeous! The third and fourth pics or stunning. Did you do all the work yourself and is that all beads? Mary

Latest posts

Back