Appy color ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
I have got a yearling filly that was born black with 2 white socks and striped hooves. Sire is a leopard, dam is black. Filly has now gotten ALOT of white hairs coming in all over her. I was told by her previous owner that her sire was born black and changed into what he is today. Do you think this could be happening to her? I looked at her yesterday and couldnt believe how much white is coming in on her. Could she turn into a leopard? Anybody got any ideas??

That would be nice. She is just so small and super friendly. I thought she was a pretty girl when she was born all black and small and now this color change has got my heart beating a little faster.
biggrin.gif
Wondering what this little package could turn into.

While she "could" eventually get appy spots....she wouldn't be considered a "Leopard". True Leopards are born that way. If her sire was born black, I would bet he what is called a "near" Leopard.

We bought a light bay mare as a yearling from Lucky Four Farms and when she was a two year old she started to get app. spots on her lips and under her tail. After a few months she finally started to get spots all over. She ended up being a varnish app. When we told Wade and he was very suprised. Her first foal was a silver buckskin Leopard Appaloosa. An appaloosa can change colors all the way up to five years old or atleast the books say so.

Yes, she would only ever be a "near" Leopard, but she could definitely achieve that- she could also turn green with little pink lovehearts all over
smile.gif
Then you could give her to Marty- she'd fit right in there
biggrin.gif
An Appy can do anything
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
green & pink
ohmy.gif
she'd be worth something for sure then !!! LOL

AppyLover2 said:
Being an appy, she could turn into about anything.  Good luck (sounds like you want a leopard).
436751[/snapback]

LOL, she really could end up any color or pattern!!! I also have a Lucky four mare that had motteling as a yearling. She finally got frosting, tiny bit at 3 years and now at 6 she has enough white on her butt to have little white spots that show.

AppyLover2 said:
Being an appy, she could turn into about anything.  Good luck (sounds like you want a leopard).
436751[/snapback]

LOL, she really could end up any color or pattern!!! I also have a Lucky four mare that had motteling as a yearling. She finally got frosting, tiny bit at 3 years and now at 6 she has enough white on her butt to have little white spots that show.

Definatly sounds like what an appy would do !
smile.gif

Here is our filly Calista- at one week and six weeks. She'll continue to get more white all over her body but her spots will stay so she'll be a near leopard or a varnish roan with hip spots... that's the fun of apps- surprises all the time!

calistarear1mnth063005.jpg

calistaspots6wks.jpg

Tammie

My appy gelding was born black and then truned brown in the winter. When I shaved him this spring at 1yr.old he's black with a gray butt that has black and white spots all over it. So anything is possible. Can't wait to see what Smarty ends up looking like when he's done appying out.

Christy
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back