appy breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, many horses are improperly referred to as few spots. Many of these actually started out as snowcaps and varnished-out.

The only way to know...for sure, is to see what the horse looked like when born. Or, test it once this new test becomes available.

Fewspots do not have colour on their body
I disagree; they may have some colour, but not very much. Many of them have dark ears, faces, and lower legs, such as this example.

groupa1.gif

I've seen that picture- I have always thought the horse was an extended Snowcap
smile.gif

well, there may be no test for it but people who have true fewspots can tell you that is all the have produced!! We need to get Ginny and Susan or other snowcap/fewspot breeders on here, they could probably tell us all about this stuff!!

It is just all so confusing but I try to look at it just like the paint pattern!!

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
No, he is pretty well exactly the same as a friend's stallion, was born that way, and is registered few-spot Appaloosa. This particular picture was taken from an Appaloosa colour site, and is in the column representing few-spots.

Gage it is not as simple as that. Say a horse is not homozygous, but is minimally marked and produces 10 leopard foals out of ten non Appy mares- what does that prove?? Put to 100 mares- the next 90 might be solid!! A lot of, especially Mini, stallions are never put on enough mares or are still too young to have proved anything. That is why we need the test. And it is going to be a real eye opener.

Thanks Gage,

for your vote of confidence. :) But I am still in the very early learning stages on appys :)

But I agree that Ginny, my appy mentor, has learned a lot because she REALLY studies a subject that interests her, and she puts her heart and soul into her appy program :)

Even so, unless we actually have a test of some kind , we can really only talk about what has been seen and our own experiences.

In my experience, appy genetics are lots more complicated than pinto ones.

I do think that the difference between a snowcap and a fewspotted leopard might very well be just a matter of how much white there is on a continuum. And if that is the case, I believe that some snowcaps (which have been called fewspots.....possibly mistakenly) ) are better producers of loud color than some fewspots. I also think the color history probably has loads to do with how much color any given fewspot OR snow cap might produce. But at this point this is just my opinion or educated guess. :)

I am fascinated by appys and will continue to lurk and learn from anyone who studies them, as well as contining to breed my few appys..... sometimes getting glorious color and often times not :)

Susan O.

Hmm again i Have known many appy breeders who have been doing it for years and they dont seem to think a true few spot is one with no color it usualy has jsut that a few spots hence the name few spot as opposed to NO spots
biggrin.gif

Again i have a HORRIBLE picture i mean bad (although truth be told even in person the mare isnt a beauty queen) of my FEW spot mare she is a palomino few spot although the color is a bit hard to see in the pics she does have 1 blue eye and the other partial and passes that on to her foals - she has had an appy every foal some very loud leopards and others like my 2 pintaloosas which over a bit of time ( as a yearling and the other in a couple of months stilla baby) have developed mottling and new spots in there pinto spots.

Yes, that is Sheila Archer's opinion, after all the intensive research she has done I think is qualified enough to make the statement that my filly is indeed a few spot.

I did not make the statement that she was homozygous, that can only be proven by test breedings.

De horses that vanessa shows ARE few-spots, de foal in de middle could be a big snowcap, but the others are definatly few-spot, few-spots are born the same color as they are adult, they are white with almost always shadow in flanks and legs, and maybe a few spots on the body.

Here a few other few-spots, (all proven few-spots!):

guppy.jpg

orionvciroshet.jpg

phantasy.jpg

rockyvdhoeve.jpg

vulcan.jpg

Linda,on the last one especially it is obviously an extended Snowcap, you can see the delineation of the blanket! This is exactly the point I am trying to make. Since Snowcaps are thought to be homozygous too, the result would be the same. Perhaps we should just call them Fewspot Snowcaps, then people would settle down. I still think there are going to be many surprises when the test comes out.

rabbitsfizz said:
Linda,on the last one especially it is obviously an extended Snowcap, you can see the delineation of the blanket! 
431970[/snapback]

I don't see it myself, unless it ends up there by the horse's head?

I had been thinking that it would be nice to have a few spot or snowcap but with all the controversy over what they really are, maybe not, lol!

Shall we debate "leopards" and "near-leopards" next?
smile.gif

LOL magic..

I think the thing to do really is to go with the appy registry and whatever they are going with at least for now.. or perhaps everyone can be happy that some seem to think that snowcaps are all over the place and not as hard to come by as thought before
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back