Appropriate Pasture Mates

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shes My Style

Reaction score
What would be appropriate pasture mates for a mini? The largest pony you would recommend? How about donkeys, goats or sheep? Any specific breeds of goats, etc that do better with them?

I want to get Scribbles some form of pasture mate because even though she shares a fence line with the big guys sometimes they are in the back field and not near her and she seems lonely. Though I do have to say my mustang really seems to like her and hangs out near her a lot. I'm really not sure if I'm ready for another mini or pony, but figured I would look into all options. Any pros and cons would be great.

I think with regards to equine companions (either donkeys or ponies), it depends on the size of the mini as well as the size of the companion. Putting a 48" pony/donkey in with a 35" mini is a little different than putting the same pony/donkey in with a 28" mini.

Regarding goats/sheep, I'd say nothing with horns! In my limited experience, goats with horns like to use them on each other and could hurt a mini if they treated them like goat buddies. Also take care against toxicity as I believe some goat feed is toxic to horses.

I tried getting a pair of goats as companions for my big horse (before I got my mini). Neither party wanted anything to do with the other! But I have heard success stories of horses that love their goat buddies. I personally would go with another equine as a companion; however, goats would be inclined to eat weeds and things that the mini would not, so that could be handy too. Good luck, whatever you decide!
default_smile.png

Remind us again how big Scribbles is, as that will determine how big a mini or pony would be recommended to pasture with her.

A mini donkey would possibly be ok, but sometimes they don't get along since they don't really speak the same "language", so both might still be lonely for their own kind. [i do have just one donkey, and she and one of my mares are really bonded, so I'm not worried about her at this time.] Sheep can be an ok pasture mate for a single horse, although, not all horses and sheep will get along. [My first horse, a half-Arab gelding was an only horse for quite awhile, and he seemed to have made friends with the neighbors ram; they'd stand on their respective sides of the fence and "talk".] Goats are notorious for chewing tails, not all do it, but some do and you could end of with no tail on your mini.

Why not just get another Mini? Horses do not do well on their own they are herd animals and the the people they get on with best are other horses. Horses speak Horse, they do not speak Donkey or Goat. And think about the poor "friend" who does not speak the same language either and is now marooned in the field with this strange animal who does not understand what it is saying and who also speaks a foreign language. If you have the room get another Mini, first and foremost. Anything else is second best.

You could find a rescue mini that needs a home. Maybe an older mini looking for somewhere to live out retirement? I had pygmy goats (they even had horns) out with my mini at one point but they wanted nothing to do with each other. And they ate just as much as a mini. You also have to trim their feet, worm, and vaccinate them. So I figured I'd be better off just getting another mini. You can ask around for someone trying to find a home for a "pet" quality mini. Maybe with an overbite or slightly crooked legs?? Something that won't be a major medical issue but isn't show or breeding quality.

One day I went to my trainers back in the 70's to find her laying over top of her killed champion cutting horse that I was suppose to show that weekend. Gutted by the neighbor's goat that got loose in her pasture.

A couple months ago CMHR too in a rescue that foundered and also had been injured by goat horns to the eyes.

I never want to see this type of thing again.

Listen to Rabbit, the voice of common sense and reason around here. Stay with your own species. Another mini.

We keep our minis with a herd of dairy goats. I guess since each species have their own kind they don't mess with each other. The goats are dehorned. Around feeding time the minis do get protective of their food.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a goat with no horns bigger then my 33 inch miniature they are find but dont interact with each other. U would be better off getting a donkey or other miniature
default_smile.png

Thanks for the replies so far.

If I got a goat it would obviously be dehorned. However, I don't want to risk her tail being chewed up as someone pointed out is a possibility, so that option may be out. I really appreciate that being pointed out - exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Quite frankly I've got very little desire for another mini horse at this point. The only reason I am considering another animal is because she seems lonely when the other horses move to the back field. I'm really debating on a small donkey though. I used to have a large donkey and he got along great with my regular sized horses - none of the communication problems indicated here even tough my horses had never seen a donkey before him. I really miss that long-eared goof.

About how many inches tall max should a donkey or pony be? Would up to 40 inches be okay? More? Less? Something I will have to consider no matter if its a donkey or mini horse/pony.

There are some really cute miniature donkeys that would be just the right size, and many people keep them with their herds of minis.

I wouldn't go bigger than 36-38" and that might be pushing it depending on the individuals.

I have mostly 36-38" minis, but do have a 31" stallion, a 32" mare, her 31" donkey, and a 33" mare. The 31" stallion goes out with the 32" mare and one of the 36" mares and they are fine out together (he's run with a couple other tall mares before with no issues here). The 33" mare goes out with two 36" mares and three 38" mares with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a good team of mares that foundered on the urine from a billy goat-like with walnut bedding. therefore i will never have a billy in with the horses again.

Some notes on donkeys that I picked up in looking for a guardian donkey:

It is true that horses and donkeys do not speak the same language. Donkeys get certain social needs from other donkeys that they will not from horses, and vice-versa. So while not *as* lonely, they will still be lonely. There is (rare as it turns out) an exception to this: if the donkey was raised with horses and is imprinted on them, the donkey may actually prefer horses to donkeys. This would be ideal for your situation - but somewhat hard to find.

A donkey pair was really more than I wanted to take on, and in my discussions with Longhopes Donkey Rescue, though they had 65 donks they had not one that was ideal for my situation. I needed a protective gelding imprinted on horses, and she said that would be rare indeed. Yet at Harmony Equine Rescue, they had a seized donkey and minis that came in together, and that was exactly what Samwise is: a protective, horse-bonded gelding donkey.

In my situation there is a size difference that is a bit worrisome (a mini donkey would be, as someone has put it, "cat food"), but the interactions between Sam and the horses is more horse-like than donkey-like (read: rough play between donkey geldings. Sam is the model of horse etiquette). If I take either of the horses out for a walk, or to go to the vet, Sam brays for them until they return. He misses them badly, and they call for him too. Sam is one of the sweetest animals I have known, and in his interactions he restrains things like bites or kicks. His favorite is Luke, the yearling. I often find them sleeping next to each other in the pasture.

BTW, I am not sure why, but Sam has a way with the ladies. Every woman in the neighborhood adores him, and he loves women. He is fine with me inasmuch as I am Food Boy.

If you find this kind of rare find, go for it (but in your situation you do not need size, so go for the same size or near to same). But donkeys are as much (or more!) work as a mini, so all things being equal a mini is your best choice.

I have a 31.25" gelding with a 36.5" mare, they are fine. I would even venture to stay, that with his stature, I would be comfortable with him being with a pony up to 40" as long as they weren't a massive tank.

Another mini mare or gelding would be ideal. Sometimes minis get along well with large horses but there is a risk of injury and bullying. I'm no goat lady, so your on your own there. My goats were more trouble than they were worth!

What about mini mules? Do they get along with mini horses? I know their moms are mini horses, but their dads are mini donkeys so I'm not sure what language they would speak.

The mini donkey at the rescue I work at is turned out with three mini horses and they seem to get along fine, but I guess the ideal situation would probably be for her to have another mini donkey friend.

Latest posts

Back