Apples, Apples Everywhere

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
I feel about now like I'm up to my ears in apples. I have 2 trees that have produced a huge crop this year. Today I peeled about 90 and it's about the 5th day or so I've worked on them. My poor little freezer is about full and one tree hasn't even started dropping them yet. I looked on the internet for apple recipes the other day, found one and thought "ummmmm, I've never made applesauce". Wow....I'm making more right now. I have no idea what kind of apples these are, they sure aren't very pretty, but they're delicious cooking apples. It would be SOOO much easier if I wasn't one of those people who hate to see things go to waste. LOL

Anybody else with a bounty from Mother Nature that they're not sure what they're gonna do with all of it?

Edited to add - Just went out to take a couple pictures and picked up another 25. ARGGGGGGGG

Anyway, this is a limb on the tree that hasn't started dropping any yet.

Apples001.jpg

Does anyone know enough about apples to tell me what kind they are?? I've searched the web and can't really decide.

Apples004.jpg

Like I said, they aren't pretty, but they sure are good!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky! We have some small cooking apples too, but they look even less edible than yours. The horses are always happy to take care of the surplus.

I can't help you in identifying the apples...but I sure can tell you that they look delicious!!! And that tree is just gorgeous fully loaded like that! It's making me hungry for the ONE apple that's sitting on the counter for Herhee's and Manny's breakfast tomorrow morning!
default_eat.gif

Any chance there is a food kitchen, church or otherwise who could use them?

I hate to waste good food too!!!!!
default_laugh.png
Wish I were close, I'd help use them.
default_rolleyes.gif

Wrap in brown paper and store in cool, dark area for longer storage, in current form.

I feel about now like I'm up to my ears in apples. I have 2 trees that have produced a huge crop this year. Today I peeled about 90 and it's about the 5th day or so I've worked on them. My poor little freezer is about full and one tree hasn't even started dropping them yet. I looked on the internet for apple recipes the other day, found one and thought "ummmmm, I've never made applesauce". Wow....I'm making more right now. I have no idea what kind of apples these are, they sure aren't very pretty, but they're delicious cooking apples. It would be SOOO much easier if I wasn't one of those people who hate to see things go to waste. LOL
Anybody else with a bounty from Mother Nature that they're not sure what they're gonna do with all of it?

Edited to add - Just went out to take a couple pictures and picked up another 25. ARGGGGGGGG

Anyway, this is a limb on the tree that hasn't started dropping any yet.

Apples001.jpg

Does anyone know enough about apples to tell me what kind they are?? I've searched the web and can't really decide.

Apples004.jpg

Like I said, they aren't pretty, but they sure are good!!!!
They look a little like Gala apples, but I don't know much about apples, except that I buy them at the store.
default_wink.png

I love homemade applesauce, and it freezes so well. Its alot of work, and it cooks done quite abit, but so much better than store bought applesauce. [i just make it up as I go along when I make homemade apple sauce, I know what goes into it, but don't measure a thing.]

The look like Gala's to me, too.

My kids would love to live next to your fence line. With the price of apples

at the store, here in Washington, where we are known for our apples and

ship them all over the world.......I'd like to live next door to your fence line.

My guys eat about 15 pounds of apples a week.

Wish there was a way to transplant a full grown producing apple tree but think

we'll plant one and also start a carrot patch next season and pray for Mother Nature's

bounty.

Hummm....never thought about Gala's. I think you might be right. Peeled about another 40 today while I was watching Nationals. Decided what I made yesterday, regardless of how good it was, wasn't really applesauce...more like pie filling (with brown sugar and cinnamon) so today I just cooked some down and added white sugar. Looks just like canned applesauce....only tastes better. Actually I find I'm having fun with them trying different things, just thinking I may have to invest in a larger freezer. LOL Wish some of you lived closer so I could share with you.

Hummm....never thought about Gala's. I think you might be right. Peeled about another 40 today while I was watching Nationals. Decided what I made yesterday, regardless of how good it was, wasn't really applesauce...more like pie filling (with brown sugar and cinnamon) so today I just cooked some down and added white sugar. Looks just like canned applesauce....only tastes better. Actually I find I'm having fun with them trying different things, just thinking I may have to invest in a larger freezer. LOL Wish some of you lived closer so I could share with you.
My applesauce looks a bit like pie filling too, but that's the way I like it. I cut the apples in fairly large pieces for applesauce, add white sugar and cinnamon (sometimes some apple pie spice), add a little water to get it started and cook the heck out of it.

I bought a box of apples a couple years ago from the local food co-op and made apple sauce, I got 3 quarts plus like 6 pints of sauce out of the box of apples (those are all the containers I have).

We had a Gala apple tree at our old house and I made this great apple butter all the time. Super easy!

The recipe calls for a lot of sugar, adjust it as needed--sweeter apples obviously need less sugar.

Crock Pot Apple Butter

Fill crock pot heaping full of peeled, chopped apples. Add 4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves, 1/4 tsp. salt. Drizzle 4 c. sugar over apples. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Lower heat and cook all day until thick and dark in color. Stir occassionally. Put in jars; cool and freeze, leaving room to expand.

Julie thanks so much for that recipe. I've been thinking apple butter might be my next project. Found a receipe on the net that called for maple syrup in it. Guess I'm gonna have to give yours a try though. Wonder what gives it it's dark color?

For the first time since 1989 our apple tree gave us grain bags full of apples. I don't feed them to my horses but my friend who has big horses enjoyed them... SOmeone that was looking at our property to buy saw all the apples on the ground & I made the comment that the wind blew a lot of them off lately. SHe told her realtor that she didn't want to buy our place because it was too wi
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
ndy!!!!!!!!

WOW you are lucky to have so many apples but also lots of work!

Here are a couple recipes-

German Apple Cake

2 eggs

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

2 tsp cinnamon

4 apples, peeled and thinly sliced

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup vegetable oil

Mix ingredients together with spoon (no mixer) Batter is stiff. Spray 9 x 13 pan.

Bake at 350 45- 60 minutes

Let cool somewhat and top with a dollop of cool whip-Delicious!!

Apple muffins or bread

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

4 TBlspoon softened butter

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2 apples thinly sliced in small pieces

Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, Beat butter and brown sugar, Beat in eggs, vanilla. Stir apples in

Spray pan or muffin pan.

Bake 350 18-22 minutes

Missy
default_smile.png

Your apples look to be decidedly wider than they are high, a shape that says "McIntosh" to me. If they are, lucky you, they are my favorite cooking apple, and we can't grow them around here. Macs have a distinctive smell and taste, you can't miss it!
default_yes.gif

Well, we don't have any apple trees, although there's an orchard or two over the hill... Those apples of yours look so good, maybe I'll buy some at the orchard and make applesauce too!

We did get a bunch of tiny plums from my young plum tree this year and I made the yummiest jam. Quality, not quantity, there. Now, green beans, I will have to start giving away. Put 5 baggies in the freezer tonight, and we've been eating them for dinner pretty steady, too. And plum tomatoes, I just canned 5 pints, but I don't think the seal held.
default_sad.png
So I'll stick 'em in the fridge and use 'em up. I do love to have pretty jars in rows on my shelves, though...

It's funny - I haven't had a garden in years, haven't canned or frozen for years before that, and this year I just HAD to start doing it again. Our sweet corn is 8 feet tall and just getting ready to pick, summer squash finishing up, winter squash going strong... Sigh... I love gardening.
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the recipes BasketMiss. Used to have one for a raw apple cake that was delish too. Sure hope I still have it.

Julie, just wanted to tell you I tried your applebutter recipe today and it's wonderful!!! I've never made it before and did it on the stovetop rather than a crock pot, but it's a winner as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again!

Cathy, you have no idea how many times I've chuckled over it being too windy at your place for people to buy. With someone like that you could probably have showed her a "magical spot" (like maybe a knot hole in a tree) that allows you to control the wind.
default_wink.png

If you get tired of peeling, cooking and freezing try dehydrating them. I used to have an apple tree and dried most of mine. Just cut in slices & sprinkle with cinn/sugar (or not) and pop in the dehydrator. They keep for years, (longer if stored in the freezer). Great for a snack watching tv or good horse treats!

I moved and ran out of dried apples
default_sad.png
now I miss them!

Glad you liked it!!

Julie, just wanted to tell you I tried your applebutter recipe today and it's wonderful!!! I've never made it before and did it on the stovetop rather than a crock pot, but it's a winner as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back