appaloosas...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at a filly that has a partial blanket and then some roaning on her back, she is 3....she does not look like she has gotten much more spotting since birth so I am wondering if she is done?? I thought I hear once mares continue to spot out until about 5 or 6 years old????

thank you

Terri

If she has roaning more than likely she will continue to roan and change color somewhat from year to year until the day she dies
wink.gif

Frisky Fields mini said:
I thought I hear once mares continue to spot out until about 5 or 6 years old???? Terri

470342[/snapback]

I'm not an appy breeder myself, although have owned a few over the years.....and it was my understanding that -- yes, they can continue to spot out over 5 years.

MA

I have one after 4 years is just now spotting out on her shoulders! All this time I thought she would never spot out, and just be a pretty sorrel colored mare. I noticed some roaning this summer and now BINGO!! we got 3 white quarter size spots on her shoulder. Doing the happy dance since I can see more coming in.
biggrin.gif

I have a brown frosted appy mare that is this year getting quarter sized white spots randomly over her body! She is 5 years old

Last edited by a moderator:
Appaloosas can and do continue to color until the day they die... this is the natural "Appaloosa" roaning gene at work...

Watch your mare as she grows up... she may not show definite changes now, but there are always subtle color and pattern changes at work. She will also continue to get more mottling as she gets older as well...

Good luck with your new girl!!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Short answer: A long, long time.

We had a pintaloosa mare who exhibted only pinto until she was 8 years old. Then she got tons of appy spots! During her life, she produced mostly app but did make one black & white pinto. All were to a leopard appy stud.

That one pinto foal is now grown & bred to a leopard herself. Can't wait to see what we get! Our "pinto" might still show us appy spots. She's only coming 5. She is a genetic pintaloosa, like her mom. Before someone "argues" with me, she is 1/4 pinto (and that's what she's showing phenotypically) and 3/4 appy (tho she's not exhibiting it yet.) She has tons of mottling.
smile.gif

If you are happy with the filly the way she looks now, then buy her.
smile.gif
If you are COUNTING on a much "louder" colored mare, well, it's a gamble. I've personally had appys with NO characteristics that started spotting out as late as four years old, and got more and more color each year after that, but you never know. Some appys don't get more coloring. Some look like totally different horses over the course of just a couple of years. That's part of what makes them so interesting to me.
wub.gif

I had an Appaloosa mare that was born solid black with a star and by the time she was 2yrs..she had roaning over her body and a faint snowcap...when she reached the rip old age of 35yrs she was a total Blue Roan snowcap!!!! out of 7 foals all bred to a chestnut spotted blanket she had : 1.Red roan snowcap, 2 Bay roan frosting blanket ,2 red roan roaned blanket, 1 bay marbled roan ,1 red roan no appy spots , last two foals by a Bay roan blanket she had 1 bay roan snowcap and a Blue roan leaopard.......

So yes they can and most do continue to color out more each year......Never would of dreamed my mare was a Blue Roan snowcap... She died at the age of 37 and was a great 4H horse for 6 years to my neighbor...

Latest posts

Back