Appaloosa colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Reaction score
This little guy has me wondering what is going on. He looked buckskin when he was born. I just clipped him and now not sure. I was expecting to see more appy white and was a bit disappointed till I looked at his pictures and examined him closer he has dark spots all down his hip and back legs and looks like more are coming in on his sides towards his withers. What color pattern do you all think he will be I am just not sure do blanket spots go down on back legs and what is with the dark spots and the little white on croup, it doesn't look much like a white blanket. Does anyone have any ideas about his spots and color?

Buckskinwithblanket.jpg

Cnv0405.jpg

Cnv0408.jpg

Cnv0461.jpg

Cnv0386.jpg

Ooo He's beautiful! IMO he's a smutty buckskin, and his pattern would be lacy non-spotted blanket, the dark spots on him may be body spots or they could be from clipping, one of my bay snowcaps had the dark spots like that right after clipping but eventually they disappeared.. Give him a year or two, bet he clips out with more spots/blanket next time!
default_yes.gif

Ooo He's beautiful! IMO he's a smutty buckskin, and his pattern would be lacy non-spotted blanket, the dark spots on him may be body spots or they could be from clipping, one of my bay snowcaps had the dark spots like that right after clipping but eventually they disappeared.. Give him a year or two, bet he clips out with more spots/blanket next time!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the input, I was thinking smutty buckskin but figured it was wishful thinking as I can't see the darmer shading on legs or mane and tail he just looks one color.I will be very happy to have him a buckskin . I hope he does get more spots. I am hoping the spots are not from clipping or body spots but, I guess I can't have everything.LOL Guess I will just settle for what I got and hope for more color later on.
default_smile.png

beautiful horse. I am so taken with his coloration and I agree you will probably see more spots next summer.

Some sooty/smutty buckskins are so dark you really can't distinguish the darker points with the other shading.. How long after clipping were the clipped pics taken? Their clipped coats are always a shade different then they're true color so once his grows back in he may look more buckskin.. He's super cute either way!

And I know what you mean about color! We had bred our loud blue eyes black pinto mare to our loud blue eyed black near leopard overoloosa and when she finally foaled she gave us a solid black colt with a blue eye, have to admit I was a tad bummed that we didn't get any color, but was happy for a healthy nice colt..

101_2740.jpg

But within a few weeks he started developing a sprinkling of white hairs, so clipped him out and found this:

101_2955.jpg

And week by week he keeps getting more and more white hairs over his hips/back and shoulders:

101_3410.jpg

102_3583.jpg

Taken just a few weeks ago:

102_3622.jpg

He too has some very small blacker spots throughout the area that the white hairs are spreading, at first I thought they were just from clipping, but there's still some hanging around even now that his coat has grown back in..

His sire went from this:

Sky as foal

To this (pictured as a 7 year old:

102_2546.jpg

And I also heard that his grandsire (C-Chief Proud Eagle) did a similar coloration change, went from almost solid black to near leopard (not 100% sure on this as I've never seen photos of Proud Eagle as a foal) soo perhaps our little fella will follow in their "hoofsteps"
default_wub.png
TJ's for sale but I'm not going to be heartbroken if he doesn't sell this year (had planned on keeping him as a driving prospect, but with unexpected vet bills I've decided to offer him) as I'd love to see how much he changes over the winter to next clipping!
default_smile.png

beautiful horse. I am so taken with his coloration and I agree you will probably see more spots next summer.

Thanks for incouragement I am hoping for more color.

Some sooty/smutty buckskins are so dark you really can't distinguish the darker points with the other shading.. How long after clipping were the clipped pics taken? Their clipped coats are always a shade different then they're true color so once his grows back in he may look more buckskin.. He's super cute either way!

And I know what you mean about color! We had bred our loud blue eyes black pinto mare to our loud blue eyed black near leopard overoloosa and when she finally foaled she gave us a solid black colt with a blue eye, have to admit I was a tad bummed that we didn't get any color, but was happy for a healthy nice colt..

101_2740.jpg

But within a few weeks he started developing a sprinkling of white hairs, so clipped him out and found this:

101_2955.jpg

And week by week he keeps getting more and more white hairs over his hips/back and shoulders:

101_3410.jpg

102_3583.jpg

Taken just a few weeks ago:

102_3622.jpg

He too has some very small blacker spots throughout the area that the white hairs are spreading, at first I thought they were just from clipping, but there's still some hanging around even now that his coat has grown back in..

His sire went from this:

Sky as foal

To this (pictured as a 7 year old:

102_2546.jpg

And I also heard that his grandsire (C-Chief Proud Eagle) did a similar coloration change, went from almost solid black to near leopard (not 100% sure on this as I've never seen photos of Proud Eagle as a foal) soo perhaps our little fella will follow in their "hoofsteps"
default_wub.png
TJ's for sale but I'm not going to be heartbroken if he doesn't sell this year (had planned on keeping him as a driving prospect, but with unexpected vet bills I've decided to offer him) as I'd love to see how much he changes over the winter to next clipping!
default_smile.png
I will be anxious to see his color when it grows back in, he was two/toned before with his baby fuzz being light and darker color underneath.

Wow your little guy ...really ... made some drastic changes.Do you think he will change as much as Sky did, I love his color and blue eyes ?

BTW my colt's dam is a pintaloosa that I had posted on here last fall. I think you siad you kinda liked her.

Cnv0111-1.jpg

BlazeOfGlory.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow your little guy ...really ... made some drastic changes.Do you think he will change as much as Sky did, I love his color and blue eyes ?
At the rate he's coloring out I really wouldn't be surprised, don't know if he'll go leopard like his daddy, but I see much more white in TJ's future lol

Yep, I do like your gal, was hoping for something similar to her from this cross, both the pinto and appy markings, but can't complain about a black appy with blue eye either!

Looks like your gal carries the varnish gene too (as well as my Sky and TJ more than likely) so with that you're little guy will more than likely color out even more
default_yes.gif

At the rate he's coloring out I really wouldn't be surprised, don't know if he'll go leopard like his daddy, but I see much more white in TJ's future lol

Yep, I do like your gal, was hoping for something similar to her from this cross, both the pinto and appy markings, but can't complain about a black appy with blue eye either!

Looks like your gal carries the varnish gene too (as well as my Sky and TJ more than likely) so with that you're little guy will more than likely color out even more
default_yes.gif
Here is a picture of the only other foal out of mare[Glory] this one is sired by a minimal marked blanketed son of Bryland Farms Rain Dance.

HitTheJackpot9-2.jpg

This colt is sired by Spark Of Destiny the sire of the buckskin colt. Interesting how they can sire some really loud foals and then some rather plain ones.

CanterburyHezAKeeperOfTheStars1.jpg

Love them both Nancy!! Looking forward to our 2009 foal crop, have a variety of color/patterns crossed with Sky, would love for some loud fillies to keep back to cross on our junior appy guy or perhaps our solid Buckeroo grandson.. Did a repeat breeding of the cross that resulted in the black appy colt above, then I have a bay pinto, a black/bay solid, and a silver bay roan solid in foal to him.. Also crossed my black based snowcap mare with out buckskin in hopes of a flashy buckskin driving appy.. Is your mare bred back the same for next year?

Oh I'm sure he will color up more with time. My buckskin apps also tend tbe dark buckskins. I wonder if the appy gene causes that?

Latest posts

Back