apartment dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartkranch

Reaction score
Please don't say a cat because the fiancee is severely allergic.

I want a puppy, I've adopted full grown dogs and I always had problems. I want a puppy, from a good breeder, not from a puppy mill. We work different hours so the dog won't be alone in a crate no longer than 7 hours. A long time for a puppy but if it gets trained I'll start leaving it on tile so it won't ruin the carpet.

We want something small, not hyper, and smart. We live on the third story so walking up and down will be a lot of work LOL. The fiancee already said he's not helping out, but I know he will if he likes the dog.

My mother rasied Pomerians, I had mine for 8 years, I miss her every day
default_no.gif
. I love Poms as long as you can find one that isn't missing half a brain. I asked about one and the fiancee said heck no. They are stupid, and they bite. ( his mother has a pom) So he thinks every pom is going to be like his mothers. Even tho the dog wasn't that bad. lol

He said no terrier breeds because they are hyper.

I know there are dog breeders on here, that can help me get the right breed.

My pull is a pom or a mini auzzie.

he said a shih tzu but I don't like them.

Anyone have any opions, on different breeds. Or should I get what I want?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, shoot! I was going to suggest a shih-tzu, too. They're my favorite breed. VERY laid back and confident. Not at all yappy like the stereotype of little dogs.

My aunt has a yorkie maltese mix (a Morkie) that they absolutely LOVE. He does not shed, weighs about 10-12 pounds, housetrained very easily, is playful but not overly hyper, and is just super sweet and sooo cute! We had a schnauzer in the past. She was a really smart dog, housetrained quickly, didn't really shed much at all, and learned tricks very quickly. Generally, the smaller the dog the more often they will have to be taken out...up and down 3 flights of stairs apparently?! Have fun dog hunting and hope you find a great one.

Well, shoot! I was going to suggest a shih-tzu, too. They're my favorite breed. VERY laid back and confident. Not at all yappy like the stereotype of little dogs.
see do I get the breed he likes hoping I can like the dog? I just don't think they are cute, but I've just seen the ugly weird looking ones. lol

My aunt has a yorkie maltese mix (a Morkie) that they absolutely LOVE. He does not shed, weighs about 10-12 pounds, housetrained very easily, is playful but not overly hyper, and is just super sweet and sooo cute! We had a schnauzer in the past. She was a really smart dog, housetrained quickly, didn't really shed much at all, and learned tricks very quickly. Generally, the smaller the dog the more often they will have to be taken out...up and down 3 flights of stairs apparently?! Have fun dog hunting and hope you find a great one.
up and down 3 flights of stairs, I need the work out anyways. I heard yorkies are hard to house break tho

I like the schnauzer if I was going to get another house dog but have 4 already. Schnauzer's don't shed and are get companions.

I would suggest highly going to your community animal shelter and adopt a dog--there are 100'd there waiting for a great home that have lots of love to give. I have adopted 2 of my 4 and they are the sweetest little ladies you would ever want to see. One is a dachy cross and the other is a mini pin that did not get her tail and ears cropped.

I was a breeder of top winning German Shepherds for years before I was divorced and if people are looking for pedigree'd animal do go to a reputable breeder who can give you guarantees on your pet, has all the required AKC and local Kennel records and are willing to show them to you. If not --RUN FAST!!!

Now that I no longer breed or show I'm a big advocate of getting shelter animals. I have adopted like I said 2 house dogs and one of the most wonderful cats I have ever owned. When it comes time to add another fur friend it will be from a shelter.

I like the schnauzer if I was going to get another house dog but have 4 already. Schnauzer's don't shed and are get companions.

I would suggest highly going to your community animal shelter and adopt a dog--there are 100'd there waiting for a great home that have lots of love to give. I have adopted 2 of my 4 and they are the sweetest little ladies you would ever want to see. One is a dachy cross and the other is a mini pin that did not get her tail and ears cropped.

I was a breeder of top winning German Shepherds for years before I was divorced and if people are looking for pedigree'd animal do go to a reputable breeder who can give you guarantees on your pet, has all the required AKC and local Kennel records and are willing to show them to you. If not --RUN FAST!!!

Now that I no longer breed or show I'm a big advocate of getting shelter animals. I have adopted like I said 2 house dogs and one of the most wonderful cats I have ever owned. When it comes time to add another fur friend it will be from a shelter.
Always had problems with grown dogs we adopted (5), I don't want a grown dog that I can't get rid of, and I want a puppy that doesn't have issues like the shelter dog does. If I have extra room to get a dog that might have issues I would.

I will keep that in mind by going to a breeder

Last edited by a moderator:
Do NOT get a JRT! I love mine, but when hubby and I had the apartment, they were a nightmare! Bark, bark, bark, bark, bark....both of them! They are great in the house and good farm dogs though.

Do NOT get a JRT! I love mine, but when hubby and I had the apartment, they were a nightmare! Bark, bark, bark, bark, bark....both of them! They are great in the house and good farm dogs though.
that was one of those pound dogs. Hyper as heck, but the lady said that they are calm and blah blah blah

Can I suggest if you are wanting a purebred dog to attend a dog show with some favourites in mind and talk to breeders that are there??

Or at least visit some breeders to see if those dogs are what YOU are wanting and to see if that breed is what you thought they were like??

Every breed of dog is not for every person (I cannot stand most terrier breeds at all...mini schnauzers especially---now Giant or Standard Schnauzer completely different dogs from the minis). And what one person loves about their particular breed is exactly what the next person can't stand.

Are you looking for a 'non shedding' breed (which will have to be groomed)? What size do you mean by 'small'?

I had a family come and visit my cardigans on the weekend, and they were very surprised at how much dog is there for how small they are....they are very solid dogs weighing between 25-40 lbs, but they aren't much more than 12" high, so they are considered by many people to be 'small' dogs (though I would not consider them small by any means). So that is why I'm asking.

If it is YOU that wants the dog and will be doing all the care for it, I would be getting the dog that YOU want. If you take the route of visiting breeders (and reputable ones will WANT you and ENCOURAGE you to come and visit the dogs to be sure it is what you think it is) I would take your fiance with you....maybe it would open his eyes up to what the particular breed is really like.

~kathryn

Anoki, has great advice. another dog is a grayhound. They are major couch potatoes, but extremely lovey dovey. And when you want to turn up the volume they can do that too. They adapt very easily. Normally I would suggest a retired racer but see you dont want an older dog. Ive got to think there are alot of people who breed them that do not race and would have puppies.I would each make a list of things you would like to be able to do with the dog,

swimming, hiking, frisbee etc, then narrow that list down to trainability, how much actual time YOU have to spend with the dog and how much one on one time each breed needs, then narrow that list down....then crumpple all your lists and go with the cutiest love muffin you can find....I like the ones that will lick ya' to death!! Keep us posted!!

LOL, LittleRibbie , very amusing way to choose.

I have a small dog for the first time ever, I've always done big, the bigger the better, until now. After lots and lots of research (over a year) keeping in mind what my likes and dislikes are I bought a Boston Terrier. She is (ok, I may be slightly biased) a fantastic dog. She house trained in under 2 weeks, had only 4 or 5 accidents and then could be trusted anywhere. She is smart, oh my heavens is she ever. If I ask her where her treats are she goes to the cupboard and taps it with her paw. When I take out the treats (2 kinds)I ask which one she wants and she will choose (not always the same one lol)by bumping the bag with her nose. She can say 'please', give high 5s, put up her hands, dance, the list of tricks goes on. She is very food motivated but works for praise too, can't stand being scolded at all. I have never spanked her for anything, I think it would break her heart. She isn't yappy but will bark when there is a reason, then stops when told to.She does shed but because her coat is very short it is not very noticeable (except on my white sheets lol, she is black after all ;) ) Now, as much as my Abby is everything I could hope for I have seen some Bostons who have a variety of issues. Some are barky, that seems to be a family trait and training thing. My friend has one and it has bulgy eyes which I find unattractive, again, some do some don't. And without clear guidance and time any dog this smart will find ways to get into trouble. If you don't give them things to occupy them they will make up games that you might not appreciate, they are NOT a dog to get and ignore, they need lots of attention (most small dogs do it seems) My advice is to narrow down your choices and then research breed traits. There are lots of resources on line for dog hunting. I found a couple that allow you to type in what you like, size, not much grooming etc. and it will list dogs that fit your requirements. Good luck, I hope you find your best friend yet.
default_yes.gif

Can I suggest if you are wanting a purebred dog to attend a dog show with some favourites in mind and talk to breeders that are there??

Or at least visit some breeders to see if those dogs are what YOU are wanting and to see if that breed is what you thought they were like??

Every breed of dog is not for every person (I cannot stand most terrier breeds at all...mini schnauzers especially---now Giant or Standard Schnauzer completely different dogs from the minis). And what one person loves about their particular breed is exactly what the next person can't stand.

Are you looking for a 'non shedding' breed (which will have to be groomed)? What size do you mean by 'small'?

I had a family come and visit my cardigans on the weekend, and they were very surprised at how much dog is there for how small they are....they are very solid dogs weighing between 25-40 lbs, but they aren't much more than 12" high, so they are considered by many people to be 'small' dogs (though I would not consider them small by any means). So that is why I'm asking.

If it is YOU that wants the dog and will be doing all the care for it, I would be getting the dog that YOU want. If you take the route of visiting breeders (and reputable ones will WANT you and ENCOURAGE you to come and visit the dogs to be sure it is what you think it is) I would take your fiance with you....maybe it would open his eyes up to what the particular breed is really like.

~kathryn
My pom was 10 pounds. So something around that size would be great. I agree they can be annoying but I learned how one person they are and that's what I like. I don't mind the care, I use to send my girl to the groomers one every two weeks, and I took regular care of her during the week.

I knew one breeder that had nice pom puppies, until I saw her at traders village( big flea market), and I refuse to go to her.

We have a small apt 800 sqft so I dont want anything that will no be able to run around

Ive seen some

Anoki, has great advice. another dog is a grayhound. They are major couch potatoes, but extremely lovey dovey. And when you want to turn up the volume they can do that too. They adapt very easily. Normally I would suggest a retired racer but see you dont want an older dog. Ive got to think there are alot of people who breed them that do not race and would have puppies.I would each make a list of things you would like to be able to do with the dog,

swimming, hiking, frisbee etc, then narrow that list down to trainability, how much actual time YOU have to spend with the dog and how much one on one time each breed needs, then narrow that list down....then crumpple all your lists and go with the cutiest love muffin you can find....I like the ones that will lick ya' to death!! Keep us posted!!
Greyhound would be cool, but I would feel bad because they are pretty big dogs. Im either with horses or at home relaxing, I need a late night running buddy but any dog can do that.

Shelters have puppies too! Why not go and have a look? If they don't have any then, have them call you if any come in.

We got a puppy at a shelter. They brought her out and she ran right to hubby and started kissing him! She's had no issues at all! She even fetched and sat when told. Perfect manners! She's an Anatolian mix and she'll be two next month
default_wub.png

The shelter we got her from gets puppies in all the time. Pure breds and mixes.

Just going to add my 2 cents worth, here is a dog your soon to be hubby will love, and they are couch potaoes, but love to go for a short walk, great with kids, or others, easy to train, and will wiggle waggle all over the place for you, they will kiss your face and are very loving. Take a guess! They are pricy, even expensive, but worth every penny! Have you guessed yet? they weight about 50 pounds, not alot of shedding, no long hair, just a lot of fun! Ok I'll give it away, the English Bulldog!
Thelife001.jpg

8ef858fb_1144704.jpg

AWE!

Reo see I learned something, I would be happy to get a puppy from a shelter only see full grown around here, doesn't have to be a pureblood, just something I need to know if its going to stay small.

He loves this dog, but at 80 pounds and NO brain he isn't a good apt dog. He is with my hybrid wolf. That's why I want a little dog. Just to prove the other half likes dogs hahahaha

oakley.jpg

Often times larger dogs are better apt dogs then smaller dogs. If I were you I would at least look at older shelter dogs of medium sizes - they are usually more then happy to lay around all day and there are many wonderful dogs at shelters now (or go thru a breed rescue where the dog is being fostered and you can go visit and spend time with it to make sure you are a match)

I would not rule out a larger dog especially if you do not get a puppy simply due to being in a apt

I have not looked lately but this is where we got our great doggie!

http://www.wcspca.org/

For a fee of $95 we got the puppy, a bag of dog food, a collar & leash, a CD, she was insured, her nails were done, she was spayed, microchipped, etc etc.

If we were to get another dog it would be from them!

The Animal control had brought her in (lost?) and she'd been at the shelter for a month or so.

From the get go she sat in the car and has never messed in the car or house. She's just a great dog!

These folks really CARE about the cats & dogs.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back