AOTE Survey

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane=P

Reaction score
I was asked to post this here from the AOTE Committee co-chair , Please read and let her know what you think ..JANE

Dear Club Member:

Please be advised that there is an AOTE Survey on the AMHA website http://www.amha.org/ OR THE DIRECT LINK IS http://www.zoomerang.com/recipient/survey....=WEB226DZLX7XCN. We would like you to "spread the word" about this survey, so that we can make decisions that will improve the AOTE program.

This Division, "Amateur Owned, Trained, and Exhibited," was formed for the Amateur wanting to train and exhibit their own horses. Many of the questions are based on suggested rule change proposals that were submitted to our committee by other Amateur Exhibitors. We realize that these rule proposals may be 'Hot Topics" and not everyone will agree, but as the AOTE committee, we would like to represent the majority of the membership.

One of the suggested rule changes was to eliminate the "clipping restriction" to family members only. The rationale of this proposal is that some of our exhibitors do not have family members available to help them and have medical issues (on blood thinners, bad backs, arthritis, ect...) which would prevent them from the sometimes strenuous activity of clipping an unruly horse. In addition, there is no way for the AMHA office to police who is clipping an AOTE horse and there are accusations of "cheating." Another proposal was to not allow "professional trainers" to transport AOTE horses. The rationale of this proposal was that there is no restriction on how long the AOTE horse can be boarded at the training facility prior to transporting and again, no way for the AMHA office to police..

There have been suggestions of expansion by adding Youth AOTE classes and adding Levels to the AOTE Program. Any ideas are welcome, we want to make this Division work for the membership.

Prior to the June BOD meeting in Texas, the AOTE Committee will meet and discuss the results of this survey so that we can make recommendations to the Show Rules Committee. The Show Rules Committee will then decide in June if any of these suggestions for rule changes will be brought up for a vote at the General Membership Meeting in 2008.

The AOTE Survey will be on the AMHA site for ABOUT THREE MORE WEEKS as we need to analyze the results prior to the June meeting. The AOTE Committee is dedicated to making the AOTE program bigger and better! Therefore, we would appreciate it if you would let your members know as soon as possible and encourage them to participate. Also, you do not need to be a current member of AMHA in order to take the survey. We are hoping that by improving this division we can increase participation both at the National Level and at the Local Shows by adding to our amateur membership!.

Sincerely,

Lorraine O'Connell

Co-Chair AOTE

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have real problem with having others clip your AOTE horse. If you cant clip your horse how are you able to show it? How are you able to feed condition ect, if you cant clip it?? I think people are trying to get this passed because they arent good at clipping, well practice thats what I did and all the others that are pretty good at it. I will anxious to see how this survey plays out. One more thing, keep boarding this class up and it wont be AOTE it will be amt.

I already went and took this survey, and boy did I have a lot to say.

I think this survey was a great idea!

[SIZE=12pt]I have taken the survey too. I still say if others are allowed to clip the AOTE horse then those who can afford to or aren't very good at it will have professionals do it for them. I also feel if the family member is a professional, hopefully the professional will have enough scruples not to clip the horse for the AOTE family member who is presenting the horse.[/SIZE]

If it is a hardship for some to clip their own horses then they should show in Ammy where it is allowed, not AOTE.

I have a very bad back and hip and it takes alot out of me to clip two horses and I must admit I'm not the best
default_rolleyes.gif
: at it either but I bred these horses, trained these horses, conditioned these horses (such as they are :bgrin ) and will present these horses. I hope AOTE remains AOTE and those who are not able to follow the criteria set in place to show AOTE, will show Ammy.

Not trying to be mean, it just gives some of us a place to do our best and take pride in our accomplishments
default_yes.gif
: I do love the idea of levels, and AOTE youth classes
default_wub.png
: Awsome :aktion033:

Joy

[SIZE=12pt]I have taken the survey too. I still say if others are allowed to clip the AOTE horse then those who can afford to or aren't very good at it will have professionals do it for them. I also feel if the family member is a professional, hopefully the professional will have enough scruples not to clip the horse for the AOTE family member who is presenting the horse.[/SIZE]

If it is a hardship for some to clip their own horses then they should show in Ammy where it is allowed, not AOTE.

I have a very bad back and hip and it takes alot out of me to clip two horses and I must admit I'm not the best
default_rolleyes.gif
: at it either but I bred these horses, trained these horses, conditioned these horses (such as they are :bgrin ) and will present these horses. I hope AOTE remains AOTE and those who are not able to follow the criteria set in place to show AOTE, will show Ammy.

Not trying to be mean, it just gives some of us a place to do our best and take pride in our accomplishments
default_yes.gif
: I do love the idea of levels, and AOTE youth classes
default_wub.png
: Awsome :aktion033:

Joy
:aktion033: :aktion033: I totally agree .

I have a bad back and shoulders yet I manage to clip my horse for AOTE. I say leave AOTE alone 'cept to divide in to levels 1 and 2 and if you can't clip or transport your own horse then show AMMY.

I so dont think its right to show AOTE and have someone else clip the horse. But then again I dont think its right that you can put the horse with a trainer all fall and then show aote in the spring

I agree with Kay. I think that the horse should not be with a professional for AT THE VERY LEAST a full year in order to show AOTE.

I very strongly believe that they need to change the rule so that you can allow unrelated youth to show your AOTE horse. I appreciate the opportunity to voice my opinion!

I believe it is the same people who are AOTE participants who are the most likely to allow an interested youth a change to try out showing with their horse, yet in order to do this, and encourage participation in our breed, they have to give up a whole slate of classes designed just for them.

If we allow AOTE horses to be clipped by others (pros), why draw the line there? If a pro can clip a horse, then why can't that same horse then be prepped for the ring by pros?

Once a line is crossed, it gets easier and easier to cross.

Leave AOTE alone and let those who can't meet ALL the criteria show in the regular Amateur division!!

If we allow AOTE horses to be clipped by others (pros), why draw the line there? If a pro can clip a horse, then why can't that same horse then be prepped for the ring by pros?

Once a line is crossed, it gets easier and easier to cross.

Leave AOTE alone and let those who can't meet ALL the criteria show in the regular Amateur division!!

I have to agree here..... I can completely understand if there are medical issues that prevent you from clipping your horse, however I think AOTE should be for the do-it-yourself person.

I do think that an AOTE horse should be allowed to be transported to the Regional or World show, but, not by any professional. I myself can't take the time from work to be able to drive to TX, so I have to have my horses shipped.

I hope all of you filled out the survey with your thoughts and concern :aktion033:

I already filled out the survey with my thoughts that non-AOTEs should be allowed to clip AOTE horses, however I was thinking more in terms of performance, as the clipping part is really incidental to the rest - the process of training your own horse to drive, jump, do obstacles, etc. is what counts. I can definitely see how in halter AOTEs should have to clip their own horse. Perhaps there could be a rule that if a horse is showing in performance only, it can be clipped by a non-AOTE? That would certainly make things much easier for those of us who show multiple horses in performance only.

You know I just cant shut up on this issue of clipping. My feeling is that if you are the one training and conditioning the horse isnt part of the clipping also showing that you can do it? I mean thats whole point of this class correct? Yes some of us arent as good as others, practice practice. Some may cheat, well I sure they feel like a louse when they truely didnt win class. I play by the rules as Im sure most do.

I do understand where you're coming from, and after reading all of the responses to this topic I have changed my mind and do agree that for halter classes, where the 'look' of the horse is such a key criterium of the class, AOTEs should be required to clip their own horses.

For performance classes, however, clipping is only a very minute part of the whole package, and you're not judged on it. Rather, you're judged on the horse's performance and skill which in turn is indicative of your own skill, and is what to me at least, the AOTE division is all about. I don't think that a stellar clipping job gives you an advantage in performance classes. Accordingly, I think that it would be really nice if AOTEs had the option of having someone else clip their performance only horses.

Because of the current requirement, I have always clipped my own horses. I would, though, take advantage of a new rule allowing someone else to clip for me. My 60+ hour work week doesn't allow me much time to spend with my horses and so long as the classes I'm preparing for aren't halter classes, I would ideally like to spend my show-prep time training and conditioning, not clipping. When you show 5+ horses per show, time spent clipping really adds up, and it is likely that I would have the time to go to more shows if I could minimize time spent clipping, since I only have limited vacation days at this point of my career. Additionally, I have a very bad back, and clipping really aggravates it. It's not that I can't clip, it's just that if I had the option to have someone else clip my performance only horses for me it would give me a chance to go to more shows and support the AOTE program even more than I currently do.

I thought the AOTE class was specifically designed to encourage exhibitors who are new to showing and might be intimidated by the other classes. It should stay ALL amatuer==training and exhibiting. If "experts" are allowed to do any part of it, such as clipping, then the whole purpose of the class is lost. There are amateur classes for the other levels of exhibitors.

If an exhibitor has several horses to show, perhaps he could select one or two he wants to use for the AOTE, and enter the others in the amateur classes. If AOTE starts getting complicated with exceptions, it will undo the whole purpose of the class.

As for transporting, that is another matter. Some new amateurs may not have a trailer. Since I am not in favor of Amateur Police, it might have to be strictly honor system if the transporter is a professional.

Alrighty unfortunately I missed this survey I think but like Brenda said I don't see how you can show your horse if you can't clip it. Now if you have something that medically prevents you from doing it on your own then thats alil different I believe. But AOTE are supposed to be strictly for those individuals who do it ALL by themselves. I do all my own stuff. I do ask for advice and often if I am doing something right or wrong. I think thats different of course.

What about farrier. Do you have to do the feet also?

If they get sick can you call the vet?

Do you have to give the innoculations?

Where do you draw the line? And remember it must be across the board and not on an exception basis.

default_smile.png

C'mon get real, farrier and vet are TOTALLY different. AOTE is AMATEUR OWNED TRAINED AND EXHIBITED. That means ALL the things leading up to showing the horse should be handled by the amateur owner. As for having someone else clip performance horses I don't think thats fair either. I don't know about some people but my driving horses are clipped just as nicely as my halter horses. Thats how you learn. Linda B

Every one seems to be hung up on the clipping issue. I agree that AOTE horses should be clliped by the owner. But what about those horses that left the trainer Dec 31, And 30 days later show up in an AOTE class, or the horse that was national top 10 and now shows Aote. These are some of the real problems.

Alrighty unfortunately I missed this survey I think but like Brenda said I don't see how you can show your horse if you can't clip it. Now if you have something that medically prevents you from doing it on your own then thats alil different I believe. But AOTE are supposed to be strictly for those individuals who do it ALL by themselves. I do all my own stuff. I do ask for advice and often if I am doing something right or wrong. I think thats different of course.
You didn't miss it .... look to the right of the AMHA home page in the the boxes ... trust me it's there.

Latest posts

Back