Anyway to slow down a stallion???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
I pasture breed. I am getting ready to pull my stallion for the year. He is a very very bad pacer. HE willl go all day and night and ignore food. He is already a bit thin, not bad but don want him worse. I cant put another horse with him, tried that and he is just mean to them to keep her away from the rest of the group.

I will be keeping him in a smaller paddock to help with that but any other suggestions?

The only time he will stop is when I stall him. I do have him on ulcer preventatives as well because he has had issues in the past with them and worry this will do the same.

My stallions often slim down in summer and gain back in the winter.

We leave our stallions with some mares over winter as they are calmer that way.

I have a stall walker from the time mares go out, until the time they come in, he paces. But he has learned to grab a mouthful of hay or grain and walk and chew.

Do I like it, heck no. My other stallion doesn't stall walk. He is nice and calm.

The only thing that slowed him down, which was last year, he had a smaller buddy on the otherside of the wall from him. This year he doesn't have anyone, so I attribute his stall walking to that. I have to find a stall buddy again.

I solved a full size horse stall walker by hanging some bleach bottles from the ceiling at a safe height so he couldn't get in trouble on them and putting a couple of Jolly balls in his stall. They were intended to be toys to prevent boredom which could perhaps be the cause but they inadvertantly turned out to break up his pacing by tripping him and breaking his concentration - he eventually stopped altogether!

My boys have a girlfriend with them all year. One is a non-breeding mare, and the other is one I dearly want to get a foal out of. Otherwise they run themselves to death. I've heard goats make good companions also, but never tried it.

My stud does the same thing. I ended up buying him a mare as a companion and he relaxed completely. I just keep the mare cycling to prevent a pregnancy, and as a side effect every few weeks they get some fun.
default_smile.png

HE is fine with the girls, and once I get them check if they are in foal I will leave him with them. HOwever, I cant just put one or two with him and not the rest. It doesnt solve anything. HE still paces the fence and if the mare gets to close he beats on her.

Our senior stallion, Raider, always would pace and lose weight during the summer, even though he had his girls.

We got to a point where we would pull him into a a little "station" that we built just off his area to give him his extra grain, morning and night. He got used to the process.

He always had "his girls" year round.......As the girls got into their third trimesters, we pulled them to the foaling pasture. But he always tended to have someone with him.

Sadly, that isn't an issue any more......... Deal with your fellow........make it work....... and treasure him.

All our boys run a fence line with our mare paddock. As long as the boys can see the girls everyone is happy. I've never had a problem with any of them pacing. Even the stallion I am leasing paced when he got here and after about a week he calmed right down and just hangs out.

One of my stallions is the same way! With mares or by himself, either way. I take him out and tie him up with extra food while I feed the rest of the horses, by the time I get to his pen he's finished, so I put him back with his mares and feed them their normal. He's finally putting on some weight this way, but still needs to gain a lot more. And I have a fat mare in there since she eats the food he doesn't care to eat, that is why I had to start taking him out and tying him up to feed him his extra food separate! (he's worse if he's by himself so that's not an option)

Jessi

Latest posts

Back