Anyway to get my mini to shed out completely?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
I only have 2 horses, 1 bigee and 1 mini and my mini Giddy still has some thicker hair on his belly and under his jaw. I have been brushing and curying him for a couple months but cant get all the hair off...

I dont want to buy clippers since I only have the 1 to do. Since the clippers are expensive..My biggee sheds out beautifully..

Any ideas??

Or ideas on cheaper clippers??

Thanks

Missy

You can go to Wal-mart and buy a set of dog clippers for about $30. I use them on my minis with no problems.

The hair under the jaw will not shed off. That has to be clipped to be removed. Belly should shed... ALL my horses here except suckling foals have slicked off but I do own a yearling with a belly mohawk right now. It's about and inch thick and is coming off on it's own. I'm going to be taking posed pics of him soon so if it's not gone by then, good old Double K will lend a hand
default_biggrin.png

You will not be able to body clip a mini with cheap clippers, I'm sure. My Andis Suger 2-Speed ACG's were $130 and they will clip a mini but not sail through the coat like the Double K's and the coat must be clean (Double K's will clip a dirty horse if you want, like for rough clips early in the season). The cheap ones for pets just aren't up for that amount of work. But, a cheap set would be perfect to do bridle paths and that jaw "beard"
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Get some cheap dog clippers and just go lightlly over the long hair in the direction the hair is growing.This will remove it and the horse will finish shedding out naturally.the chin and jaw hairs will have to be clipped like Jill said.Good luck

I don't know, but it may too late in the season to start this, but FLAX SEED is known to help burn off a winter coat........However, you'd still have to trim their "beards".
default_biggrin.png

Thanks everyone. I did go trim his beard last night and I will try the other things.

Great Tip! Thanks!

My mini-donk is STILL hairy. It's taking FOREVER for him to shed :DOH!

Dog clippers from WallyMart....hmmmm....I can handle that!

Lori

I have a mini that I've owned for 10 years. He just doesn't shed out fast. Here we are with 90 degree weather and he still has a pretty thick coat. Takes lots of brushing. I haven't had time to shave him, but try to get him brushed each night. I'll have to try that flax seed on him. (Plus he loses hair in patches. Poor guy!).

Basketmiss, I've had real good luck this time of year...well actually starting in late April... With giving a thorough bath then a good trim job. (I use one of those rubber curry things with the real soft squiggly fingers) Show sheen or a similar product after the bath. The bath gets all the loose, dead hair out of the coat and leaves it glowing.

Cowboy and Skipper were both prepared this way for their photo shoot a couple of years ago. Take a look at their pictures on our web site. I think their coats look awesome. Skipper should probably have had his forelock died, but I didn't have time.

After a body clip the hair often tends to grow back in with a bit of a rough look to it and never looks as good as a natural shed.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back