Anyones horses sheding yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifflunn

Reaction score
Went to brush my daughters mare last week and could not believe she was shedding. Checked everyone else no one else was- but this week everyone except the donkey is starting to shed.
default_unsure.png
Anyone have horses that have started shedding
default_unsure.png
The outside temps have been rolling
default_wacko.png
from freezing upto 50 the other .

None of ours that I can tell are shedding yet. I think it's related to the change in daylight, vs. the temperature but it's been very weird here, too. We've had blustery, fridgid days and then the past couple have been almost like summer with highs in the mid 70's.

I have 1 mare shedding like crazy up here in Maine. She's a new horse here, so I have no idea if she's always been an early shedder or not. I keep trying to tell her that this is not a smart time of year to be shedding here in Maine, but I brushed her the other day and was getting tons of hair off her. I have a few others that are shedding just a little, but not as much as this mare. If nothing else, it'll be less hair my clippers have to plow through come spring
default_rolleyes.gif

~Jen~

My mares getting close to foaling are shedding....the hormone thing you know. Lace and Mooney....they will foal in Feb. Everyone else is holding on to their winter hair thank goodness! Of course, Classy never GREW any! Coming from the gulf coast and having a late body clip we still have her in a blanket most of the time. I sewed extensions on the belly band and hope they are long ENOUGH! Someone needs to make expandable blankets for preg mares.

Charlotte

None are mine are shedding and hopefully they won't start. I know these nice temps won't last for long
default_sad.png

Leslie

My mare Rainbow is shedding a bit. We had a hard freeze last week, and now 50s at night and 70s in the day. I feel so bad for my baby, he is super fuzzy and so hot.
default_sad.png
We are in NW Florida.

Nothing real drastic here yet
default_no.gif
. Its still a little early for my fuzzy horses :DOH!.

It was really warm the past 3 days, one filly came in soaking in sweat. I have noticed on days when its warmer their coats seems thinner or lay down better, then on the colder days they fluff back out.

I do think my shetland filly is starting to shed just a bit, im really looking forward to shiny slick coats agian
default_yes.gif

Mine haven't started shedding yet, thank the Lord, with these Wisconsin winters you never know what the temp will be, first we have spring weather, temps way up and rain, now today were suppose to get rain and snow and temps back down in the 20s during the day next week and in the teens at night. Glad when winter is over, want to get the horses cleaned up.

We are in the low 20's to high teen's at night and in the 40's in the day. I haven't had anyone shedding yet. I have even blanketed one of my mares a couple of days at a time (water proof blanket) because I didn't like going out and finding 6" of snow on her back. Still, no shedding.
default_aktion033.gif

I have a stud colt that is shedding. He started when we were in our last cold snap about a week and a half ago. I was thinking since he is acting so silly over the girls he was already wishing for spring.

No one shedding here yet. But I've been keeping my eye out as we've had over 70 degree temps the last couple of days and my one little guy is prone to colicking on me when the temps go up that high in the winter. We should be downin the 40's or high 30's. I hope they don't start to shed yet....we still have a long winter yet to go.

No shedding yet here in NE Texas. Winter has been cold one day, warm the next 2-3. I had the air conditioner on one day, and the furnace on the same day, late in the afternoon. Wreaks havoc with the horses!

Our temperatures have been pretty consistent here in the NW but the daylight is definitely increasing quickly (yay!) and it wouldn't surprise me if Kody at least started in the next month. I hope not though, I'd almost forgotten what a pain shedding that much fur out is and I'm not ready to trace clip yet!
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

My stallion, Rolex, and my gelding, Tuffy, are both shedding like crazy already.
default_new_shocked.gif
All 5 of my mares are all keeping their coats so far though. Just the boys are shedding, especially Rolex. I've brushed and brushed and he's still shedding. We don't really get cold "real" here though, until mid February, and it usually only lasts a week or two. We did have only two days last week where it dipped down into freezing temps, that was odd, then it was back to normal, up in the mid 70's to low 80's during the day, and now he's shedding. This is his first winter here though, so I don't think his body knows how to adjust to Florida's roller coaster weather. I don't think the daylight hours here are clicking with him, cause the daytime is really short for now, so with that, he "should" be keeping his coat, but the temps keep telling him...let it all go, LOL. Poor boy, he's definately gonna need blanketing here in a couple more weeks if he keeps shedding like his is now.
default_unsure.png
I'll see if I can get a pic for ya.
default_yes.gif
Give me a bit, I'll be right back with it.
default_wink.png

Nope. I have hairy beasts who are ready to brave the harsh arctic winters that we experience here in Southern California!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

Liz R.

Our horses all start shedding a few hairs around this time due to the longer(more daylight) days.

Kim

Here is Rolex...see, I told ya, LOL!
default_wub.png

Rolex1-10-08.jpg

PS. I'm trying to let his bridle path grow out too, so he's a bit SUPER FUZZY along his pole & crest for now too.
default_wacko.png

Ok... I better go head back out there now...
default_saludando.gif

default_wink.png
This time, manned with my curry instead of the camera, LOL! :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
SWA- boy he is shedding lol Dori is shedding alot- but she hasn't gotten down to patches.

It seems to varries widely - no set spot or anything- for horses shedding- just that we all have fluctuations in our weather.

Our little stallion has been shedding for about 2 weeks.....

He's our first shedder of the season usually.....so from

that I am taking that spring can't be to far away.....

Golly, I forgot that means spring rains......we've had enough

rain to have used up this springs quota already......I'd like to

go straight to the dry season.....

Latest posts

Back