Anyone work your horses with a golf cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
My wonderful hubby and my brother in law went together

and got me a used electric golf cart for an early birthday gift yesterday.

I wanted one to travel our property instead of riding our lawn mower

which I have done may times.

But I've read of people using them to condition their horses.

We tried our 2 geldings (very bomb proof geldings) this evening and they did great

there is a back seat that faces the rear so used a longe line in case I had to let out some

lead but they did great.

any suggestions for horses not so bomb proof with people with experience ponying horses this way

haven't tried any others yet but want to avoid any potential problems. I thought of just troting them behind it while it was moving first with me on the ground to test them out.

I'd like to hear your experiences

I think I remember one of Tony's pictures having some behind a golf cart. Sure hope someone responds....I have one too and am not sure how to get them started with it.

Don't know how I ever lived without my golf cart LOL. I work horses on it all the time - just use your head about it, go very slowly and watch them until they get the hang of it. Most catch on right away assuming they are broke to lead. In 10 years, I think I've only had one or two who just didn't get it. I have one little mare who would trot along just fine, and then every 2-3 minutes she'd slam on the brakes. We finally gave up on her, not worth a neck injury. It allows me to get show horses out of the round pen and do straight line work, and to take them out on the property up and down hills, much more interesting for them as well as me.
default_smile.png
(and we check fence at the same time). I work two at a time unless I have a stallion on, and make sure the two get along. You can get in a wreck if you have one back there kicking the other. I know not everyone agrees, but I have found it a very safe and effective way to exercise them, esp since we are a bit more limited in what we can do since they don't get ridden. No way could I put in the miles on foot that we do on the golf cart.

Jan

We used to have one and also had a nice long drive way........ Just go gradually with a longer lead. It also might be good to have a second person initially.

It does take a bit of time for some horses to figure out what you are doing.
default_smile.png

I do. When I bought Abby the lady I bought her from told me she works with a golf cart. I didnt think anything of it until I wanted to get her fit and ready to show. The vet told me no lungelines with her stifle. We had a 4 wheeler that was too hard for me to use. We got a golf cart one like yours with the seat in the back. I dont have her behind though, I have her next to me on the drivers side that way I can do it by myself. She does very well. We started with her daughter I sat in the back hubby drove. Now I can do her by myself but she can be a little hard to handle at times, she gets going faster than the cart or slams on the breaks but I'm sure with more time she will get the idea. I only work her for about 5 to 10 minutes max. Have fun golfcarts are great. I haul feed and hay in mine too, the backseat folds down to make a flat bed. Kathy

Ours are all trained to go with the golf cart. You never know when it will be necessary to move horses quickly and the golf cart can help do that. We tie them to the seat right next to us so they stay beside us. Yes we also tie one on the opposite side too, but only after we are sure they are comfortable with the golf cart. And then there are two of use until we know they won't get in trouble. It doesn't take long to get one going steady. And as said before, it gives them a chance to get out of the round pen and see the world.

We bought a used golf cart several years ago, and wonder how we did without it! It's also good for hauling different things back and forth between the house, barn, and pasture.

It works great for exercising horses, as long as you are careful. Two of us in the cart......one driving......one hold lead on the horse to keep them next to the cart and away from the wheels. We've got some large hills in the pasture and can go up and down them with the horse......thus building those hip and chest muscles. Our horses like it, one in particular can't wait to go. We've measure the distance up, down, and around the hill on the exercise route and in twenty minutes or so can do three miles with some walking and trotting.

I have worked mine behind our golf cart. The older gelding does fine. The filly want to run fast and drop her head to catch a bite of grass so it takes some very careful manuvering to take her with the cart. She also has been known to drop her head and step over the lead rope and then hop along on 3 legs! Our stallion hates to exercise and when he's behind the cart after only a short while he will run up and bite the back end of the cart. Minis are such fun.
default_laugh.png

Back