Anyone wearing blankets in your barn?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Liz, that is totally uncalled for! LOL, I am extremely jealous.

I have a minor fortune in blankets and come January when I do trace clips so I can cool them off after working them I have most of them out of the bins and on horses.

And Marty, in answer to your original question, yes I have 5 horses blanketed. Most were clipped late and then we got cold early and I had to start blanketing, once you start it just keeps going. Yes it is a pain, yes I do a lot of laundry, but my horses are warm
biggrin.gif

My three and their donkey buddy have been blanketed or rain-sheeted for the last little while: it's been almost steady biting below zero temps here with a lot of rain and freezing rain the few times it goes above zero.

My two older ones (now into the elderly ages -- in their early twenties) lost condition badly last winter, so this year I ordered them each a set of winter blankets with matching rain sheets just to help keep the weight on them, and so far I have to say they are much healthier this time around.

Joshie, the donkey, slipped on the ice two weeks ago and pulled a muscle or something just behind his withers: he was really in pain for a bit. I put a blanket on him for a day or two, then treated the remaining muscle pain with a heat pack for an hour or two on the third day, wrapping him in a fleecy overnight that night. He seemed to be much improved, but would get very tight, achy muscles along there whenever he got chilled since, so I've kept him blanketed mostly until I was sure the muscles have healed up and aren't stiffening up any more.

Tonight for the first time since then he's completely pain free and seems back to normal. I took all their blankets off this afternoon and turned them loose in the indoor arena (we're back to 2 degrees above zero and freezing rain again here today) for a couple hours of exercise since they didn't get out today due to the icy paddocks and pathways.

Joshie's stalled right now with the others, wearing a rain sheet instead of a blanket tonight to keep the body heat on that pulled muscle more than anything else -- they can't move around enough to keep really warm in their stall. Will see how he is in the morning.

The youngest is wearing a rain sheet on the worst wet days: he came in shivering last week, so I dried him off and put him under a lamp until he was full of himself again, and have made sure he goes out with a rain sheet on whenever the mercury climbs since then. Just to keep him dry, not to keep him warm.

All four of them have lovely thick woolly coats, and the youngest definitely doesn't need a blanket unless he gets wet and cold together, so I am only blanketing the two older guys this year for the first time to see if that helps them keep their weight up through the worst weather this year.

If it helps, they will be blanketed whenever I think they need it in future: they really weren't happy or healthy last winter.

Leah M., over-protective mini-mom!

Nope ...no blankets today either. We had 12in of snow when i went to bed tonight. Woke up this morning and walked out to the garage ..got half way to the barn and realized all the snow was gone and i was knee deep in mud!! it was 40 today.

I got a feeling those blankets wont be being used for a while. (although this is ohio ..we might have a blizard in the morning ..who knows, not even our CHEIF weatherman has gotten the weather right since i can remember).

Leeana

Latest posts

Back