Anyone want to see my 'new' tandem??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
I finally got my computer back up and running--which means I can crop pictures with my program again, and so, post new ones! YAY.

Anyway, for Mighty Minis CDE this year, I am planning on driving a tandem! I've been working them for approx. two months and they are finally working like a real tandem.

My wheeler is a very nice 6 yr old gelding, Elvis, owned by Tanglewood Farms(yes, I have permission to 'show' him off). This will be his first show and CDE.

My leader is my 10 yr old mare, Fascination, also from Tanglewood, but owned by me. She is my main driving horse, the one that I have been showing consistently for almost 3 years in ADS events.

My harness...in these pictures, it is a mix of 4 different harnesses, and some assorted 'spares'. 2 of the harnesses used are mine, and there are a few pieces that haven't been changed/finished yet. Elvis will be driving in a 'soft' collar, and Fascination will be using her show saddle. Other than that, most of that shown is the show harness!

The cart is Tanglewood's meadowbrook, which is graciously on loan, just like the horse and parts of the harness! As you can see, they look great with it!

A tandem also must have a groom, but...my groom is behind the lens on the camera! But I always drive the tandem with a helper--it could get ugly otherwise.

On to the pictures!

This was grounddriving a week or so ago. Elvis' breastcollar had gotten pulled forward by Fascination..

f2ae9e71.jpg

This was today, at the start of the drive, so Elvis is a little stiff and Fascination's not pulling up like she should. Today was also the first day with the meadowbrook and the tandem.

f2ae9da9.jpg

Getting better! And neither horse is clipped--Fascination was done two months ago, Elvis...not within the last year or more.

f2ae9d87.jpg

I just love this picture...this is how it is supposed to be!

f2ae9d65.jpg

biggrin.gif
I am VERY excited about this, can you tell?? And maybe an appy and a pinto don't match too well....but the rest(stride, conformation, willingness to work) all does!!
yes.gif

Boy oh boy I"m here. I always rush to your posts to see the stuff you do that never ceases to amaze me. You are simply incredible. Outstanding! Just completely outstanding.

I'm with Marty! That's cool!

I am in awe of your abilities and those of your horses.

Looking great and best wishes in your competition!

Liz M.

I'd love to see you driving these two in real life, I think it's pretty unique or at least I haven't seen it very often, good job!

That is so awesome! I love the appy and the pinto by the way... and it does look like they stride the same. He looks like a sweetie! What happened to Dan??

Looking good!!! Fascination is just starting her characteristic gait in the last picture- Elvis is still worried about bumping into her bum isn't her? Common with a new wheeler, and far better than him constantly trying to over take her!! Do you think you have the traces a little long- or is that deliberate??

Wow! That is so neat! I can tell you've worked hard on this and it's great that it's all coming together! AWESOME JOB!

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Boy I was really starting to wonder where the HECK you were. I really enjoy your posts and PICTURES. Thank you.

I am so glad to see minis in tandem! this is what I really want to do in future.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I have my 2 year old stallion and I bought his weanling full sister (both are blue roan pintos) this year in hopes they would be the same size for tandem. They are marked really similar but the filly looks like she will be smaller. So, I may not be using them together, but only time will tell! I definately want to do this tho!

jennifer
saludando.gif

I always love seeing your pictures! They are looking really good!! Looks like they will make an outstanding team.

Awesome!!!
aktion033.gif
I am excited for you and can't wait till after the competition to see more pics and know how it all went!!! Good luck!
biggrin.gif
oohh that reminds me I really need to get out and clip Hershee...we may be doing the ADS show in October, and now that this horrible humidity has broken, we're getting more seasonable days so we can get back into the swing of driving!

Have only seen one other tandem, and it was three up -- at a show. Very nice and co-ordinated, something that must require excellent training of horses
aktion033.gif

It appears the wheeler is the only one who really does any real pulling. Is that true?
smile.gif
I like the challenge but, think a pair would be "easier"....for me. Hey, I rarely drive -- and then only for fun. But would love to do more, as it is fun. Since I purchased a trained driver, guess I ought to get moving!
wacko.gif

Can't wait for more pics.......it's a learning experience for the rest of us. Good job!

That is great. I am very impressed with anyone who can drive tandem. Good luck at the show! They really look wonderful.

Great pics. Looks like fun and a lot of hard work. It does look like the wheel horse is doing all the work though! Have fun and show us more pics from the show.

Thanks everyone--its so fun driving them...and when you get that 'perfect' moment, its worth everything(even if it only lasts for a second!).

Yep, the wheel horse is the one that does all the pulling. Well, Fascination gets to help on the straightaways, like hills and such, but curves...the reason the leader stays out of draft is so as not to pull the wheeler down.

What happened to Dan??
My mom's driving him single at Mighty Minis--he was a mite bit too small to keep up with Fascination, as well as he was happier as a wheeler(which is definitely not the position he should have in a tandem with her). So he'll be there, and we should get pictures!

Fascination is just starting her characteristic gait in the last picture- Elvis is still worried about bumping into her bum isn't her? Common with a new wheeler, and far better than him constantly trying to over take her!! Do you think you have the traces a little long- or is that deliberate??
Hitting it on the head as usual Rabbitfizz! He is still a little uptight about this horse in front of him(he does like her though) and the whip and the reins going past his eyes. However, he has made progress in leaps and bounds and is smart enough to stop if he gets nervous enough. It helps that Fascination is a 'steady' horse--she takes care of him. And yes, the traces are a little long, but Elvis much prefers this setup to the shorter one. For not being worked in 3 years until I got a hold of him....he's adjusted pretty well.
smile.gif
As for Fascination, she's so happy to have a horse that can keep up with her!

Just beautiful. In a perfect world it would be nice if the horses were matched in color as well as movement etc, but man, just to get the two of them moving like that is unbelievable! Congratulations. What a lovely team.

Yep, CountryHaven, I'm just happy to find a match for Fascination!

Here are some pictures from today. Elvis was being a beastie and was doing his 'jig walk' in warmup, which he hasn't done in the tandem for a while. So we decided not to fight about it and went to trot and halt work and eventually cooling down into walk work(we are doing LOTS of stop and stand, since I know we'll be doing that a lot at the show!), which went well. He walked quietly at the end of the work out...so hopefully he will remember that is how he is supposed to do it! He has a lovely walk when he wants to, which is usually--big steps, overtracking by 3-4 inches, etc.

Fascination is such a good mare...she just ignores him and does her job(which she loves).

My photographer wasn't exactly the best in the world, sorry for the extreme tilt, LOL.

f2aa200e.jpg

f2aa2000.jpg

Whee! A week and a half!

Latest posts

Back