Anyone want to critique my yearling filly??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Hi,

Took these pictures the other day of my yearling filly. I think she is beautiful, but a little taller than I would like. She will be pushing 34" or over. What do you think???
default_smile.png

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

I'm not a confirmation expert but I think she is beautiful. Love her colour, she looks like a nice girl.

I don't do many of these but here goes....

Overall I think she'd nice. Great hip and shoulder. I think she's a lot of horse for a yearling, I would have guessed her to be a 2 year old, so the fact that she looks that mature is great. Really the only thing that sticks out to me is that her head is maybe a bit longer than what I'd prefer it to be, and it could be more typey but it is still nice.

Those are my two cents...

Her halter is way too long, should be up near her cheekbones... that'll make her face look prettier - not that it's a bad face at all!

Her tail is set on a little low - but overall she's a very nice girl! Most anything I'd nitpick about will probably change as she finishes maturing!

I think she's very nice. She has a good hip, and a good slope to her shoulder. She uses her neck well. Her tail set does seem low, but that may be because she is growing and looks to be "butt high".
default_smile.png
It's going to be fun to see what she looks like in another year!

Her topline is "decent", i wouldnt mind seeing her croup a little flatter and tailset a tad higher, she is also a bit long in the face. Other then that, i think she looks okay overall.

What is her breeding? Just curious.

Would you believe me if I told you she'd look better at my place?
default_wink.png

I think she is VERY nice
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone. Her tail is missing all of the top hairs from rubbing, so I still think it will be a little low once it grows back. I ordered some MTG for it. The halter she is wearing is the only show type of halter I have. I am looking into getting a new one. I also did see it was too big for her
default_smile.png

Leeana, She is Double Destiny bred and her dam is a daughter of FMA warpaint. from what I can see is she has her sires body and her dams face and head. I didnt buy this filly, I bought her dam bred to Triple Ks Double your Destiny. When you look at her dam, you would never guess that this is her filly. By 4 months old last year, she was almost as tall as her mom. But this filly has always had long legs

How do you decide what will make a good brood mare? I am just trying to look into the future of my herd. Questioning if I should keep her, knowing that she is going to be 34" or over. I am undecided I know that just having B mares is not a bad thing, but I just prefer them to be 34" and under because of loosing her A papers. 32" is about my preference.

And I also agree that she does look more mature and alot of horse for a yearling. I have another filly from last year, that is just a little peanut. When I take her new pics, I will show you all and see what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good horse makes a good broodmare! I think she would make a nice broodmare. You would likely want to breed her to something small(since she's taller) and with a really nice head and higher tail set.

I also think she'd be a great broodmare -- and in the meantime would expect her to show well
default_yes.gif

For her future Beau's, I'd look for fine boned stallions with high neck sets (as she has), short heads, long clean legs (dont pick a short legged boy, you can find "short" stallions w/ long legs) and a higher set tail.

If she were mine, I'd look forward to showing and breeding her. I really like her a lot and think she should do you proud in both departments.

Thanks for critiquing (sp?) I like her alot too, it is such a hard decision to make changes to your herd, especially when you have a pretty small one
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back