Anyone use Ultrashield Green on a baby?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly Chisholm

Reaction score
Poor Sterling is rubbing parts of his face raw from being itchy from flies. We have a Mr. Stinky up, use fly predators, and remove poop, but the few flies we have love Sally's and Sterling's face. Sally has a fly mask which Sterling regularly pulls off. She has Appy eyes, poor thing. I am hesitant to use a fly mask on Sterling. I have a friend whose foal ate his fly mask and of course needed surgery.

So after much research, I ordered Ultrashield Green for them. It's just a bunch of plant oils mixed together. I haven't had much luck with "natural" products, but if this helps without hurting them, it would be worth the money. Anyone ever use this, and do you think it would be safe on Sterling?IMG_20200718_170144.jpg

Poor Sterling is rubbing parts of his face raw from being itchy from flies. We have a Mr. Stinky up, use fly predators, and remove poop, but the few flies we have love Sally's and Sterling's face. Sally has a fly mask which Sterling regularly pulls off. She has Appy eyes, poor thing. I am hesitant to use a fly mask on Sterling. I have a friend whose foal ate his fly mask and of course needed surgery.

So after much research, I ordered Ultrashield Green for them. It's just a bunch of plant oils mixed together. I haven't had much luck with "natural" products, but if this helps without hurting them, it would be worth the money. Anyone ever use this, and do you think it would be safe on Sterling?View attachment 42031
Oh, Holly, so sad that little guy looks with those flies! They are absolutely horrible this year!! I have the same problem. Have been putting SWAT on jawlines but can't get too close to eyes ( feels like Vicks near our eyes I think). It helps a little bit. I have had people tell me to cut or braid my ponies' hair but it seems to work like a fringe to keep out some of the flies. Poor Sterling. He looks so much like his mama! His face is so sweet!

I just went out to spray. Sterling was excellent! He didn't mind the spraying or the rubbing on his face (kept trying to bite the cloth :) ). I just love this little nut.

Sally hated every part of it. :)

Poor Sterling isMVIMG_20200801_113127.jpgMVIMG_20200801_113149.jpgMVIMG_20200801_113149.jpg a mess with shedding his foal coat and rubbing.

Poor Sterling, he's such a wonderful little guy. The flys are horrible here this year too. I put fly fringes on my little ones but if you're worried about him eating them that won't work.I would think all the natural ones would be safe for him if they work. I'll keep thinking........

My vet told me to use a spot-on for fly protection for the eyes. I just apply it behind the ears and down along the mane. It works pretty well. I don't use the whole tube. I save it for the next time he needs it. As well as flies in the pasture, my guy was particularly bothered with flies on his face when we drove a road near a creek.

My vet told me to use a spot-on for fly protection for the eyes. I just apply it behind the ears and down along the mane. It works pretty well. I don't use the whole tube. I save it for the next time he needs it. As well as flies in the pasture, my guy was particularly bothered with flies on his face when we drove a road near a creek.

You used this on a mini foal? Which brand? The green stuff worked a bit, but of course, there were still flies around his eyes.

Latest posts

Back