Anyone use Equi Spot?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
A couple friends and I were talking about the tick and fly problem and they said they use Equi-Spot on their big horses. I think I'm going to get it for my big guy and...naturally... started wondering about using it on the mini's too. Does anyone use it or something similar???

I wouldn't use it on the big guys or the little ones... its not all that effective and can cause some nasty skin problems. I'd rather use fly spray than the drip-ons.

We tried it a few years ago on our big horses, I think when it first came out and it was not very effective. I thought spray was alot more effective and cheaper too
default_smile.png

We used it last year on our big horses, and I didn't see any results. I just use the fly sprays they work lots better IMO.

I have used it for YEARS about 5 I think and SWEAR by it, I couldn't stand doing 2 times a day wipes. and Equispot was a God Send, My horses are bug free while I'm being chewed up right beside them, i have even considered rubbin myself down with it, lol

ok kidding, But yes 14 horses I use it on ALL of them for my minis i use half a tube per mini, And personally have NEVER had askin problem or anything, I would NOT go without it,

I tried it years ago on my two big horses, and one of them seemed to be alergic to it (puffy, watery eyes). I didn't use it anymore but it could have been a reaction to something in his field vs. the EquiSpot...

we also tried it years ago and every horse had a reaction to it. it was horrible.

Thanks for the replies y'all. I really appreciate them.

Kay, what kind of reaction did your horses have??

The flies I can help control with spray, it's the darned ticks that drive me and the horses crazy. Last week my big guy (Dee) had somewhere around 50 ticks around his sheath area. Adams Flea and Tick Killer killed them, but I sure would like to find something that would help keep them off. One of the problems (if you can call it a problem) is that my grass is taller than the minis and belly high on Dee. Sure wish my hay man would come cut this stuff.

I call this picture "tall grass".

Tallgrass004.jpg

I've used EquiSpot in the past and liked it for the most part. I used a whole tube on the big horses and a half a tube on the minis. The biggest problem leading to it's lack of effectiveness is that ANY water (i.e., sweat, rain, rinsing off) will dilute it and wash it away. None of the horses had reactions to it tho. I switch sprays like crazy because they all last about 15 minutes and the EquiSpot DID last much longer. I also use Seven Dust lightly...big horses get about 1/4 cup once a week and the minis get a couple tablespoons once a week. I put it down their backs and let their natural twitching and skin action move it around. So far no reactions and NO TICKS!!! We have a bad tick problem (they actually climb up the barn walls!!!) so that is my main concern. I have also had good luck with a cattle product....insecticide ear tags. No, I don't ear tag my horses! :bgrin I actually put the ear tags (2 per big horse and 1 per mini) on breakaway collars. They last about 3-5 months and have worked really well for me.

i put it on 3 horses. by the time i was applying it to the 3rd the other two were going crazy! they were itching, bucking, running, throwing themselves to the ground etc. Put an emergency call to the vet and he said to immediately bath them and get the stuff off. You should have seen us at 8:00 Pm frantically bathing 3 horses as fast as we could. Thankfully the bath helped tremendously but the itching kept up for about 2 days. (but not the intense itching that about made them crazy when applied)

I didnt apply even half a tube as i was being really cautious.

Before I moved back here my shetland was living here being cared for by my renters (members of my family). Their kids managed to get into the barn and dump out my big bottle of very good fly spray (there goes about $65 down the drain) and he never seemed to have any on him when I came out anyway so i decided to try the equi spot stuff. His hair fell out at the application areas. It seemed to keep the flys away for a little while but not for very long and of course he now had these nasty bald spots. I never tried it again.

Thats so wierd we all have such different opinions of it. And I have found that rain didnt effect the power of it at all, lol

The biggest thing I noticed with other users is they did NOT use every 2 weeks as directed so got flies etc.

But I honestly have not had any itching, hairloss nothing in 5 yrs.

So I will keep using it, I can;t imagine not, lol

Boy Gracie you're right about the different opinions and results. I was hoping 15 people would respond and all 15 would say "use it.....love it". No such luck. :eek: I just might have to try those ear tags that ropenride mentioned. Thanks again everybody.

Back