Anyone use electric sheep netting?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do use the sheep fencing ,n I use live wire .we have a moose zapper electric fence (one of our largest ponies only respects the zap)I've been lucky with it .I use it for one of my round pens ( with no zap ) its easy to move n see . Horses will always find a way to get into trouble no matter how hard u try .

Quick update - today I installed three strands of hot wire a couple of feet off the existing corral panels, just to keep him off them. He wasn't able to move them any longer with them staked in place but was tearing his mane and neck to shreds sticking his head through and straining to reach as far in as possible. And also still getting way too much grass that way. I got a nice solar charger from Premier and used twine and step-ins for most of it with T posts at the corners. Once the grass dies in the fall I'll mow down the fenced-off part and extend the fencing to make a track all the way around the outside of his paddock. It will be about 6' wide on the long sides with a loafing area near his shed and a wider area in front as well (little grass there since that spot floods when it rains, that's his napping/rolling area). I forgot my fence tester at home but he kindly tested it for me - there was an audible crack and he seemed highly unfriendly towards the fence after that (up until then he was "helping" me very thoroughly, removing tools from my pockets, twanging the twine, stealing insulators from the bag, etc.). So, fingers crossed it holds!

Quick update - today I installed three strands of hot wire a couple of feet off the existing corral panels, just to keep him off them. He wasn't able to move them any longer with them staked in place but was tearing his mane and neck to shreds sticking his head through and straining to reach as far in as possible. And also still getting way too much grass that way. I got a nice solar charger from Premier and used twine and step-ins for most of it with T posts at the corners. Once the grass dies in the fall I'll mow down the fenced-off part and extend the fencing to make a track all the way around the outside of his paddock. It will be about 6' wide on the long sides with a loafing area near his shed and a wider area in front as well (little grass there since that spot floods when it rains, that's his napping/rolling area). I forgot my fence tester at home but he kindly tested it for me - there was an audible crack and he seemed highly unfriendly towards the fence after that (up until then he was "helping" me very thoroughly, removing tools from my pockets, twanging the twine, stealing insulators from the bag, etc.). So, fingers crossed it holds!
Abby glad you got a solution and a great plan going forward!
He sounds like a character!!! 😄

Finished the track today! He's still fenced off from the two sides that have been fenced off all summer. I have rigged a small cross-fence that I can shift slowly to open up the track a few feet at a time. Thus far he has been very respectful of the electric, knock on wood! The center was just mowed - it was taller than me in there! So glad that didn't all end up inside of Rowan! 36B7D95C-2C94-47D1-86B9-F86B488D1486.jpeg

Abby, that's awesome! You did a nice job. I guess there is an upside to us having a drought. I don't need to worry about green grass for very long.

Thanks! The only thing still left to do is that I ordered a taller ground rod that the charger will sit on top of. Once we get snow, having it so close to the ground won't be good, and I also think that the grounding is inadequate in dry weather the way it's set up now and the new rod will go deeper. Not that we've really had any dry weather this year but it does happen! Last year we had a terrible drought, this year we got all last year's rain plus this year's and all of California's too!

Finally got the whole track open last week and he is SO happy to be able to get all the way around. My friend whose horse lives next to him says she's seen him doing laps at full speed several times already. And I can just tell he's happier. :)

I will do my best, but so far this has happened only when I am not present! I have seen the divots in the ground but that's it. When I'm there he just wants to follow me around and receive scratches. 🤣

We have used electric netting for sheep for years. I'm not sure I would use it in a small space for horses though....a large pasture, yes..but not a small paddock. If set up correctly and grounded well, it packs a whollop of a charge and I would be afraid that the horses would either panic and hurt themselves getting away from it (they'll only hit it once)...or else "worry" about it if they were not able to keep distance from it. If they have enough space to keep distance from it if they desire, great. Some horses would probably be fine but they *can blow through it and get caught up in the netting too. We sadly had field rabbits get caught in it and die on occasion. We used the Gallagher products.

Thanks! So far the twine is working fine. My fence tester goes up to 8000V and it maxes it out, so I have a powerful charger even though it's solar. He's shown no inclination to test the fence after experiencing one shock. Not sure I would feel comfortable with just the twine as a perimeter fence for the paddock since it's not much of a visual barrier, but he has woven wire around the outside. I grew up with goats so I was expecting a similar escape-artist tendency but he seems quite averse to getting shocked. And, not anxious about it even in the narrower areas of the track, so that's good, and he's by himself, so no chance of getting cornered.

Latest posts

Back