anyone up that has any ideas for a preemie foal just born

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpotze

Reaction score
My mare just foaled...a reg bag...but I got the baby out okay....Mare's first breeding date was May 19 of last year...so I think that puts us at 316 days. This isn't a maiden mare...she has always has plenty of milk...but has nothing tonight. What can I do?

Becky in Ohio

No milk and a red bag? Was she on fescue?

Get on the phone call local breeders, your vet, whoever. Someone has some frozen colostrum. You do not want to wait for morning on this one.

Edit add: Proper order of go, call your vet first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call your vet asap! They may have some frozen colostrum you can feed or failing that, you will have to get plasma into the foal otherwise he/she has no immunities. You can also give the mare Domperidone which ought to bring her milk in, but it may take several days to do so. First concern is getting baby fed! Good luck, wish you were closer - I have frozen colostrum from my first two last week.

Jan

The worst thing is...one of my other mares foaled six days ago...and I didn't even think to get some colostrum from her.

Horses aren't on any fescue...

I have called the vet and they told me to give milk replacer until morning and then they will have to IV the filly. I tried to get some milk from my lactating mare...but she won't give me any unless her colt is standing right there and he is not being very helpful....there aren't any other breeders close by that have any frozen colostrum.

This is not starting out my foaling season very good. I lost a foal almost a week ago...a maiden mare that had a terrible distocia.....the foal tried coming with all 4 feet....there was no way the vet could get it out...we worked for over 2 hours and ended up loading my little mare up at 2AM and took her down to OSU. They had to do a c section as the foal was so twisted....and my mare is still in ICU...hoping to be able to bring her home on Tuesday. All this on top of just finding out that my husband has some serious health problems.

Prayers would REALLY be appreciated.

Becky

This is an EMERGENCY.

Call your vet for either frozen colostrum or a plasma transfer NOW. And if YOUR vet doesn't kick in, get on the horn to any or all vets -- even if it's goat colostrum. Horse colostrum is best, of course.

In the mean time get some Domperidone or Oxytocin for your mare to help bring her milk down. Your vet will have one or the other. Otherwise, you're looking at a bottle baby.

You have 6 hours from birth for when it's best for the foal to take in the antibodies from colostrum through its stomach. The foal will still take in some antibodies between 6 to 12 hours but the ability will be diminishing as time goes on. Then, you're looking at probably needing the plasma transfer anyway.

You are on a time-clock here! Wishing you all the best.

I have given Tommy oxitocyn...and have called 4 different farms and gotten no answer...I'm sure everyone is sleeping. On call vet said to wait till morning...I called him again!!!

default_no.gif

I have given Tommy oxitocyn...and have called 4 different farms and gotten no answer...I'm sure everyone is sleeping. On call vet said to wait till morning...I called him again!!!

default_no.gif
If this foal has not had colostrum, which it hasn't, then your vet is DEAD WRONG in telling you to wait untl morning!!! Wait for what??!! That foal does not just need milk replacer, it needs the colostrum!

Good Luck, I hope you are able to find some help AND colostrum soon! Also, YES to the domperidone too!

take a bucket a really warm water(not hot) and towels to the barn. Soak the towels in the really warm water and wring them out, use them as warm wet compresses on the udder. Hold the warm wet towels on the udder , keep repeating, don't let the water cool down too much. and be careful not to burn the mare. Water must be warm but safe. Many times the warm wet towels will bring the milk in. Have you tried milking her at all? Sometimes that will stimulate milk production.

Good luck!

Robin

PS... I have a sick foal at home. He is a couple days old. We have been giving him Seramune (orally) Its IGG in a bottle, and can be given po, ask the vet about this, ok, maybe it would help???

take a bucket a really warm water(not hot) and towels to the barn. Soak the towels in the really warm water and wring them out, use them as warm wet compresses on the udder. Hold the warm wet towels on the udder , keep repeating, don't let the water cool down too much. and be careful not to burn the mare. Water must be warm but safe. Many times the warm wet towels will bring the milk in. Have you tried milking her at all? Sometimes that will stimulate milk production.

Good luck!

Robin

PS... I have a sick foal at home. He is a couple days old. We have been giving him Seramune (orally) Its IGG in a bottle, and can be given po, ask the vet about this, ok, maybe it would help???

Yes, try the warm wet towels, and try milking the mare using a syringe like a milking machine (flip the syringe upside down and pump, my vet showed me this a few years ago when I had a mare foal without milk). Also the oxytocin (sp) as mentioned above will work fast. Between the drugs and manipulation, she should have milk in a couple of hours. Good Luck, you certainly deserve something to go right. All my best, Wendy

Robin's suggestion is a good one..........along with the drugs to bring the milk down, milking, etc...

I'd also continue being a B*tch on Wheels with the vet.

If you see the baby beginning to fade........give it a little kayro syrup off your finger or a small amount in a syringe.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Wish I could biff your vet on the backside of his head right now.

take a bucket a really warm water(not hot) and towels to the barn. Soak the towels in the really warm water and wring them out, use them as warm wet compresses on the udder. Hold the warm wet towels on the udder , keep repeating, don't let the water cool down too much. and be careful not to burn the mare. Water must be warm but safe. Many times the warm wet towels will bring the milk in. Have you tried milking her at all? Sometimes that will stimulate milk production.Good luck!
YEs to all the above - warm compresses definitely help bring the milk down - it is likely there - just slow to descend. You need to keep at it - and it DOES work!

The two foals that arrived here in the past 2 weeks were 314 days - and 318 days - and neither one was a preemie, thank goodness!
default_yes.gif

Sending prayers for your foal and hoping you got some help. Im about an hour from you and I know TSC carries foal colostrum and foal lac etc. Hoping for a good update

I don't know what vet you are using, but it sounds like time for a new one. PM me if you want a phone number. She is a repro expert, works on minis and is in Centerburg.

I am sorry to say we don't have any colostrum on hand or we would have been happy to help.

Oh, and I am sure you are aware, TSC is in Mount Vernon, not far from you.

hoping your little one does ok, prayers being sent your way, I think this weekend I am going out to get some milk replacer and some foal colostrum. Better to be safe than sorry.

I know this isn't much help but prayers for your little mothers milk to flow like the faucet and all to work out for your little one. You were so blessed to be there at delivery to help them along. Hope you got that vet in gear or found a supply of replacement antibodies.

Mary

Latest posts

Back