Anyone try catnip tea as fly repellant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I have tons of the stuff, will let you know if it works. I may add it to the apple cider vinegar and dawn dish soap mixture.

I tried the vinegar/dawn soap recipe and it works great on the flies but does little for mosquitos which at the moment are the greater of the two evils here with all the rain we've had.

Has anyone used listerine for the mosquitos??? I've read that it repels them and have thought about spraying some and trying it, but was afraid that it might draw ants. Sure don't need anymore of those suckers around here.

Candice I just did some searches and research is now saying that Catnip works better than DEET for mosquitos! I also have had good luck with vinegar/dawn on flies.

It sounds promising but since my cat (all 2.5lbs of him lol) stalks and pounces on my foals already :DOH! I'm not sure if dousing them with cat nip would be a good idea. LOL

Whitney, Exactly how do you use the catnip? Is this a tea that you are making yourself or is it something that you can buy?

I have 4 HUGE clumps of catmint growing. I'm going to steep it in boiling water just like tea and put it into a spray bottle. I'll try it on ME first as the horses aren't really bothered by mosquitos at the barn but I have them in SPADES in my backyard, so I'll know fairly quickly if it works. If it does I'll mix it with the vinegar/dawn. I was going to try it last night but didn't have a clean kettle (can you tell where I spend my time)?

Catmint grows like a WEED most mints do. So if you get yourself a small plant in a month or two with miracle grow you'll have a BIG BUSH and its hardy to zone 3 I believe so it will come back every year. I also dry a bunch in the microwave for the barn cats in the winter.

This link gives you the scoop on catmint

http://dopamine.chem.umn.edu/chempedia/index.php/Catnip

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be anxious to know if the catnip works. I have never had any kind of luck with Dawn! I can bathe the dogs with it and the fleas come back double. I do use the white vinegar/listerine/baby oil mixture for flies and mosquitos on the horses and me. It works fairly well. I think it needs to be put on morning and evening to be the most effective.

Latest posts

Back