Anyone seen this video of the Boomer Schooner?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eeeekkk...even though that’s not exactly what happened to me, seeing the ponies cantering off pulling the upside down wagon base behind them brings back bad memories for me. Hopefully the two ladies nor the two ponies/minis (they looked a little big to be minis so I’m not sure) were not injured.

Driver did not have a clue. I think someone told him to sit there and hang onto the lines--and that is all he knew about driving.

I think it's interesting they said it was a stuck wheel. All those wheels looked like they were rolling to me. I agree with minimor. They are lucky it didn't turn out worse than it did. Thank heavens!

The wheels all appear to be turning. Certainly the horses began their tight turn before any wheel locked up and forced a sharp turn--whcih I do not believe happened at all. With no guidance, the horses just decided to cut their run short and doubled back. Had the driver actually been driving, he could have 1) drove them properly in a larger arc or around the stadium, whatever he was supposed to do or 2) stopped them when it.became obvious there was a problem, or at least TRIED to stop them--he just sat there and did nothing.

I heard today there is a big flap about the incident. Some people wanting to do away with the Schooner because it is cruelty to animals. I thought the people came off a lot worse than the horses did. I don't follow football (I'm in Oklahoma but not an OU fan) so don't really know all the details.

I have viewed the video a number of times, have come to believe that, while the driving was TOTALLY inadequate, the vehicle lacked any sort of device(fifth wheel, or the like) that would allow the front axle to pivot. Result: that the only way to 'turn' the rig w/o overturning would have been in a HUGE and VERY GRADUAL arc, and certainly NOT at speed. BIG TIME design flaw, IOW. I recall when a couple began building and promoting a 'cute' covered wagon for minis. Trouble was, they didn't know how to properly build such a vehicle. It would be in no way 'safe' to drive unless going very slowly and pretty much only in a straight line. ! It was off the market before long....not surprisingly.

Latest posts

Back