Anyone remember my "Baby Chrissy"???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Baby Chrissy was one of my very first minis I purchased early on. She was weaned abruptly and shipped and arrived here at a very young age of barely 5 months old and so small she was completely lost and distraught. Chrissy immediately dubbed me her mommy and I spent many days and nights with her dragging her up on my lap and hugging her to pieces and assuring her she'd was ok, all the while she nursed on my knee for comfort. By the end of winter, all my sweat pants had these big suck and pucker places in them. Chrissy learned very quickly that when she screamed, and I mean SCREAMED, I'd go running out to soothe her and bring her some of her candy and do anything she wanted me to.

Then she also became "Kicky Baby" because I found out fast that you couldn't touch her legs to clean her feet or she would fire both back feet at you in a hurry. Same thing when trying to clip her legs or giving her vaccinations in the hip...it was like "stick her and RUN!" cause boy Kicky Baby was really handy with those flying feet. Took her a while and a couple of good finger spanks to finally get over kicking at me.

Everyone made fun of her because she is the typical example of the old style larger boned mini. Didn't matter that she had straight legs, a perfect bite, nice length of neck and sweet face, yadda yadda there was nothing refined about this girl so she was called everything from an ugly piece of crap to a dwarf; but to me, she was the apple of my eye. By the time she turned two we had a real weight problem and she has always been near obestity level which made her appear lets just say less then lovely. All the conditioning and diets in the world were not helping and she did turn into quite a pumpkin and I swear her belly was down around her ankles.

Time marched on and besides being my Baby Chrissy and Kicky Baby she also was my "Little Red Haired Girl" and somehow became Boss Mare even though she could barely hit 31" on any given day. We finally got the weight problem under control to her complete disgust when I told her junk food would be out no matter how much she screamed.

Baby Chrissy will always be my baby and she's here to stay whether she's refined or not. Its 6 years later and here she is, still a spoiled rotten character. She will never be a leggy refined halter show horse by today's standards (but you don't have to be to live here), never had a foal, and we still have some weight too loose. She has not been body clipped because she sheds very well and now she is sunbleached. A certain Redneck colt has made a disaster out of her mane and tail but anyhow, here's my Chrissy after her bath such as she is today: I just took these.

This is her "I am a diva look"

halterpic1.png

This is her "There better be some candy around here look"

halterpic2.png

And I have no idea what she thinks she is doing here.....she made this up by herself.......maybe its her studdy look???

hookedneck.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Marty, What a neat story about your sweet little boss mare..

She is lookin good!

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she's beautiful!Personally I like the bigger boned horses over the style today. I think they are Big, Bold and Beautiful!

She has grown up very cute I have one of those there better be some candy around here diva's as well

I think she is a pretty girl Marty. I see no characteristics from those photos. She looks like she is a doll. And that nice dark red too.... awesome. Have you tried showing her? Would she like it?

I have six stalls and would actually like 5 horses. At this moment I have (9) whoops. BUT it gets so hard to keep the ones that get in your heart or the ones that are really what should be produced. I like a horse with muscle. Not looking like a gust of wind would knock it over. I would do better in the show if I liked the extremely refined horses I think. But I just can't make myself. Someday I will find the happy medium. I want a horse that can pull a cart, or jump a jump if we wanted it to. Not crack it legs off.

I love your story
default_wub.png
... and KUDOS for getting her back into shape. I am sure everyone knows how much you love your horses and take such excellent care of them, cuz it shows !

Marty, what a pretty girl she is. Her story is remarkable. I actually love her build, kind of like my Bailey. At least when you wrap your arms around them for a cuddle, they don't break!

I think she's gorgeous, Marty, and I love the story, too. Do you have any baby pics you could post for those of us who haven't been around very long?

Thank you all for the sweet comments. I always said if Chrissy were only 4 feet taller I'd throw a saddle on her and go rope down some cows! She's built like my very first quarter horse! Here's her baby picture Miniwhinny on her first Christmas......my perfect Christmas pony
default_wub.png

LITTLEchrissy.jpg

I remember her well, Marty...she was a cute baby and she's a little doll now! I COMPLETELY understand about you keeping her; I have one very similar--Barely 30",gorgeous 'RED'. compact, but very balanced, correct all around, with both refinement AND substance(which aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to what many seem to believe....!) I have NO "use" for her, and agonized over selling her, but really want to KEEP her, just for the enjoyment of owning one so cute,so nice, and so small! (Going to sell half of my driving pair instead; just am not 'doing' the pair driving thing, and know that I never will, at my age and stage in life.)

HURRAH for cute little red mares!

Give 'Baby Krissy' a big hug, and maybe a peppermint?! on my behalf, will you?

Margo

Latest posts

Back