Anyone know anything about the...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Dynamic Duo

Reaction score
We recently found out we might have to be moving to Dallas. I've only been throught it on the way to Fort Worth for a competition. Anybody have any knowledge of the area?

A good friend of mine and her family moved there about eight years ago or so, as her husband was transferred to that area (they've since moved again). I do remember that they had a difficult time finding horse property near the city of Dallas, they had to range far out, forty miles or so, to find a place. I visited many times and it was a beautiful area. Too hot for me though!
default_smile.png

Whoa, just noticed that you are currently in Houston; you ought to really like it around Dallas then, lol! Good luck!!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born and raised in Dallas, haven't lived there in many years but I do get back pretty regularly as both my daughters now live there. If you are looking for horse property and don't have to be close in, the area north of Dallas/Ft Worth is horse country. Aubrey, Pilot Point, Gainesville, Denton.....home to many many horses and top trainers from all disciplines. In Dallas proper, there are still boarding stables.

Do you have a specific area you will be working/living in? I'll be glad to tell you what I can about it.

Jan

I live just outside Dallas. Been here all my life. I live in a smaller town called Wylie.

Do you know what side of Dallas you/he will be working in? Traffic is pretty bad. So you will want to live on the same side of town that you will be working in. Fortunately, there are plenty of small towns all around the outskirts of Dallas that you can live in without having to live in the city.

Find out where you will be working and I'll be able to tell you what towns to look at for living in.

The Bad: (Just like Houston)

Traffic

Hot

too many people

Summer storms can be bad (tornadoes are not uncommon)

The Good: (Just like Houston)

Close to everything

Lots of horsey things going on

Exciting city to be a part of

Lots of lakes and recreational areas

Some of the best equine vets in the nation

I have lived in the Dallas area for 26 years. There are a lot of small towns surrounding the Dallas area to accommodate horses and country living. I agree the traffic in Dallas is bad, but salaries make the trip worth it. I currently live 1 hour east of Dallas. I prefer to live outside due to lower living cost and taxes. Nice to work in the city, but nicer to live in serenity. It is a good balance for us. You can find property as close as 20 minutes, but rather pricey. Let us know if you have any specific questions.

Kelly

I live 36 miles north of Dallas--thats 45 min to 1 1/2 hours away, depending on traffic. We looked long and hard to find horse property that was affordable and in driving distance, and ended up in Princeton. Market is better for buyers right now--and there are still a lot of horse places tucked around. Find a real estate agent woh specializes in Horse Property or ranches; ous was invaluable.

BTW, I had no idea I had so many "neighbors"!!

We're actually in Fort Worth.

I agree, it's better to go out a little farther and have some quiet. Plus it is cheaper. (Although with the price of gas it might not stay that way!)

Lucy

Well, we have no idea were in Dallas. My dad flys there tomorrow. My mom says if we do, I have to sell my horse
default_no.gif

Why? There are plenty of places to board if you don't get enough land, and Houston is NOT that far that you couldn't get him hauled up here.

Lucy
Mom says we "wont be able to find any cheap places"

Ditto what Lucy said--there are tons of places to keep him until you're settled or even long term.

Well, we have no idea were in Dallas. My dad flys there tomorrow. My mom says if we do, I have to sell my horse
default_no.gif

Why? There are plenty of places to board if you don't get enough land, and Houston is NOT that far that you couldn't get him hauled up here.

Lucy
Mom says we "wont be able to find any cheap places"
Define "cheap"? I see many places about $150/200 on Craigslist all the time. For biggies. Pasture board is OK, too. And much less. Maybe you could work off part of your board?

Don't give up so easily.

Lucy

Latest posts

Back