Anyone know about mini dachshunds?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyn_j

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Barry and I have been talking also my son Jasons input...we are going to look at smooth Dachshunds.... anyone care to share info? How do you think that would go with three corgis? They prefer to be outside most of the time but Im looking for a mostly inside girl that will once in a while scare the bejebers out of the mice in my feed room.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Well I love weanie dogs but don't own one...they are very busy (think terrier)...they are prone to back problems especially if allowed to get fat.......they tend to bark quite a bit especially when in groups......and there have been dozens of them going through the shelter my son volunteers at
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
some older and obviously no longer breeding worthy.....quite a few just dumped by the river or on the side of the road.........so sad ......thankfully they re home quickly so none have "HAD" to come home with us
wink.gif
yet

I believe there are a couple people on the board who raise or own them......

My mother-in-law has one . He is really a cutie . But is in very bad shape with his back . Won't go into all the details . But he needs to be put down . She just doesn't have the heart . Yet. He chases anything that moves . Thats how he ended up in the shape he is in now . If i had one i would make it wear a back brace when outside . I like the dapple color
yes.gif

I have a mini dashound (smooth coated)- Bart. Got him when he was just a puppy and I was 5, now he is 16 going on 17 and I am 21.

Love this dog to pieces, more than words. Just been a great dog, best friend.

He has never had back problems. He has been hit by a car when he was younger as he tried to cross the road while out playing-spent two weeks at the vets, then just two years ago while spending christmas at the cabin in the woods (literally) a cousin jumped on a four wheeler without looking and ran over him then. Came through both just fine. Just keeps going and going and I don't know what I am going to do without him as he is just like my kid, been with him for almost 17yrs.

His favorite past time was chasing Anything thrown ALL day long - and he still loves to play but not as much. Sleeps alot now, and can't see as well nor hear as well, but I love him still. Sleeps in the bed on his own pillow and likes to be under the covers.

Here he is when he was 15yrs old sporting a quick clip job- don't have any "current" ones on my laptop -

fa149679.jpg

Hello I see quite a few people already responded. I have a 6 month old female and she is such a sweet heart. Loves to cuddle but is independent enough to go outside. At 3-4 months old she was already finding and killing mice and some birds. She does bark some but honestly she doesn't seem to have time with everything to do on my 5 acres. The only time she barks is when she is playing with the new puppy. I do try and keep her from jumping but it is so hard to do
smile.gif
So we defenantly watch her weight and I would rather her be on the thin side than the heavy side for her back sake. Here is a picture of her when I brought her home at 8 weeks old. She was sitting on my lap at the computer table. Told you she was a cuddler
smile.gif

diva8wks4.jpg

My MIL has a black and tan 5 year old mini doxie (he's at the upper end for size of minis). Speedy is a little go getter and a bit of a picky eater, which is good thing since they often have back problems if they are too heavy. Speedy is just about the slimmest doxie I've even seen, but definitely not too skinny, just healthy. He's He11 on mice, my MIL has a greenhouse and he's always on the hunt for mice under the tables and such. He's a bit spoiled, so doesn't always mind, but he's still a great little dog. He does need his sweaters in the winter, as he gets cold easily; he can usually be found on the nearest heat register in the winter.

I had a mini longhair a few years ago when I lived in Chicago. I got it from one of the top breeders in the area. The dog was cute as the day is long. Sweet! really needed to watch his weight though. The biggest problem we had was that the dog had severe epilepsy. We were told by our vet that that was common in the minis. So maybe by now they have been carefully breeding that out. Hope so. Loved the mini longhair but also like the wirehair. Good luck.

My oldest brother and his family were going to get into breeding the Pie-bald minis. They are gorgeous! They are brindle and white spotted. They also had a dapple which was very pretty too. They have 5 now, all have been "fixed". The dapple had 2 litters of puppies, lost all the puppies, then after loosing the second litter, she died that night. They decided breeding was NOT for them.

They have one male, Kobe, that is awesome. All of them are really sweet dogs and don't bark that much. Only one of theirs is a barker. She is the oldest and most shy. The rest will love you to death.

My hubby's uncle has one also and she had to have back surgery because he let her get too fat. She is miserable now, barely able to use her back legs, but she is still trying to kick!

My niece has a black/dapple male. He too is a sweetie, not a big barker. He loves to cuddle with you. They just had a litter of Basset/mini dachsunds
rolleyes.gif
. They had 8 puppies, 7 females and only have 2 females left needing homes. She hasn't sent me photos yet.

I have 2 minis-- both long haired. I absolutely love the breed.

They tend to listen better than any other dog I've had. They prefer to be with us and don't need to run around the neighborhood. I've barely heard them bark. But when they do, it's because they're being protective. One tends to lick everyone with kisses, and the other doesn't like strangers or kids. But she is attached to me and rarely is more than 5 feet away. If I don't see her it's because she's visiting one of my daughters or eating-- both for short periods of time.

They enjoy going for a ride and like going to the barn. They don't have a problem with cats or horses. As long as they're with their humans, they're happy.

I've had a yellow lab mix, a boxer mix, a couple purebred cocker spaniels, and a purebred lhasa apso. I'm stuck on dachshunds and will probably never get another kind of dog.

jammie2.jpg

pokey2sm.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]If you breed them do you have to breed smoth to smooth, long to long etc? Why do you suppose that one lost 2 litters ??? is that a big issue with them? I figured back problems if you arent careful. What else should I watch for.[/SIZE]

Lyn

My neighbor has 2 Cardigan Corgis and a Daschound puppy. She is looks like an Aussie, she is the blue merle color with mostly blue eyes. They all get along well, but I can see where she will have back problems down the road.

We've had two throughout the years. When I was young, my Mom had a smooth dachsund (not mini though)...she was the best dog ever. My young cousin sat on her and broke her back and she had to be put down. My mom was devistated.

When I was about 14, my aunt gave me one of her puppies - it was a long haired mini dachsund, he was so beautiful, but not on the bright side, but so loveable - it seems neither of the ones we had had a mean bone in their body...they were very loving...and prissy too!

Latest posts

Back