Anyone Hit in Oklahoma? Check in...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Targetsmom...thank you for the updates...I don't have facebook...so this is greatly appreciated.

This is so sad and so tragic. My thoughts and prayers are for all of those in the affected areas. The pictures in the news are so overwhelming, I can't imagine.......

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Yes, ongoing prayers, I was looking at radar today and there appeared to be more storms in OK. I'm glad to hear that some we see on this forum are okay.

My place and Leesa Conley's place (where my training stable is located) were spared when the monster tornado that devasted Moore, OK veered off and dissipated just a few miles before it hit us. We evacuated with our pets with just minutes to spare. The map shows the path it took (green line). The other lines are other tornados including the huge F5 that hit on May 3, 1999. Other Mini owners in the neighborhood include: Davie Killman - Sunday's tornado that went on to hit Shawnee OK touched down just past Davie's house (yellow line in bottom right of map); Bev Gray - 2 of her 3 children lost their homes in Moore; Sabrina Drewery - one of the tornados touched down less than 1/2 mile from her house; Bobbie Holdeman - her daughter and granddaughter lost their home in Moore. Becky Schultz of Redrock and the Luptons of Reflections both live in far north Oklahoma City. They might have been affected by the Sunday storms but I haven't spoken to them. Cell coverage here has been extremely spotty due to the loss of several cell towers. The Orr Family Farm in Moore was one of the first places hit. Last reports were that 50 to 75 horses were killed there and many more injured when their barns were completely destroyed. Lord be with those who lost their homes or family members and with the poor animals who were unable to protect themselves from these devastating storms.

tornado paths moore.jpg

Pat, thank you for that update and good map. We tried to track the path on Google Maps, using some addresses of folks we know in Moore. Have not heard from them; they were in the path so I'm sure things will be very confused for a while. I feel confident they are personally safe, but may have lost their homes.

I am glad to hear you are safe.

My late mother and my handicapped sister were caught by the May 3rd tornado in 1999. Leesa Conley and I hiked into their neighborhood to find them after the storm passed so I'm well aware of what others are dealing with at this very moment. My sister (who lives with me now) is still terrified of tornadoes and is unfortunately unable to drive or even to climb down the ladder into our storm shelter. So, if we're in the path of a tornado, all we can do is load up the dogs and get the heck out of Dodge. Which is what we did yesterday. We joined a small group of people at a nearby country store while we waited for it to be safe enough to return home. It seems that every year the tornadoes in Oklahoma get more numerous and more violent. They are now saying that this storm was an F5 in strength and had a debris ball of over 2 1/2 mile wide. No wonder there's such widespread destruction.

Has anyone heard from Barbara Kilkenny? My efforts have been in vain and I'm worried.

Thank you Pat! I wish I could pack up and go help, I feel so bad for all involved. Something similar, but Not at that magnitude, happened here a few years ago and unless you ever see it in person you can't even imagine it, photos on the News (as bad as they are) won't do it for you.

Something that has always worried me is like you said about the cell phone towers being down. Depending on cell service could cripple this country and it is slowly getting to that point.

Sorry I didn't have internet all week. Thanks for asking about us!

I'm devastated for all those people, horses & pets.
default_sad.png

The tornado in May 1999 I saw it from my front yard. I saw it on its way up north before it touched down.

Newcastle is I guess 25 mins north of us.

Tuesday a little after 5 AM I was talking to hubby on the phone when a strong storm hit. At one point it sounded like a train and I started to cry because I was worried about my mare & her colt that we had moved to a new pen that was next to the pen they had been living in. I worried that she didn't go into the barn. I worried about the baby kittens on the porch. I said I was scared and that I couldn't go outside. Good thing I hadn't!

At 6:30 AM when it was light enough, I was stunned to see that the wind had shoved our horse trailer straight up our dirt driveway 22 feet (left skid marks) and that the entire foaling pen that we had *just* moved our mare & foal out of had tree in it. They would have been killed for sure! I thank God we had moved them out of it and had not yet moved the next mare to watch into it. I have no idea how we're going to get that tree out of there.

Not sure if you can see..........

The foaling pen is kind of round. The tree fills the whole pen and would have killed my babies! You can see Kismet & her colt in the pen next to it that we had moved them to and the relation of size.

smaller-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! I'm so glad to hear you and all your little ones are safe. Every time they show scenes of the devastation on our news here it breaks my heart. How terrifying to be trapped inside and worrying about all that you love.

Robin I don't know how I missed your post...geeze...someone was watching over you with their wings spread out. You were so lucky to have gotten them out of that pen. Holy smokes that's scarey. Im glad you all are well

Yes Heidi. For SURE. We'd moved Kismet & her colt out just so we could move Ava in and I just felt strongly that I didn't want her in there yet.

Hubby cleared the tree out of the pen Monday, we moved Ava in there & she foaled 6 AM Tues. I'm very grateful!

We had a storm last evening and a big tree fell in Nort's place. I'm glad he wasn't hurt! A small tree in the mare's pasture fell too. Plus a lot of brances all around.

I am so glad that everyone we are hearing about is OK!!

Trees down and destruction can be "gotten around" - lost lives - can't.

Still keeping OK in our prayers and sending "cyber hugs" again!!

Sending lots of continued prayers for those going through this horrible storm period.

And still more tornadoes! Jan Tobey's place got hit - again! Second time in 3 or 4 years. Last reports are that all horses have been located and seem to be okay.

Sending prayers to folks in Oklahoma who are again in harms way. I don't know Jan Tobey but Im sorry to hear she was hit again Im so sorry and hope her family and fur kids are all safe.

Latest posts

Back