Anyone here who could help me identify...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
I have been wanting chickens for sometime, and was fortunate enough to find some at the feed store today. I got them this afternoon, they required you to buy 6. I went ahead and got 11 of them, just to have as pets and maybe eggs if they are egg layers. After looking and making sure all where in good health and eating and drinking and overall active, I picked what looked the best in the colors that I liked. They are happy and healthy in their brooder right now. They are so fun to watch interact with one another. They are inside the house right now, to help regulate their temp, and will slowly be moved to the barn then outside as they get older and bigger.

Anyone have any clue as to what breed they are? Here is a pic of most of them:

58435Chicks.JPG

I have 1 yellow one, 1 almost black one (not in the pic), 5 black/gold (one is bigger and is more brown, you can see her in the back) and 4 red/yellow. All are females. They are all about the same size, except the yellow, mostly black, and More brown, they are the same size, but bigger then the rest)

Thanks for any help in identifying them. I can't wait till they are old enough to explore outside. I am already building them a larger pen that connects to the barn so they can go in and out as they please.

cute little fuzzy butts!
default_wub.png

you should really join http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php it is a most eggscellent website!

I would guess the black yellow ones are either:

black austrolorpe

black giants

barred rocks

and the chipmunk looking ones are Easter eggers, also known as Ameracaunas

the white one- dont know. could be a leghorn.

the yellow ones...are they yellow or red? if yellow/golden-ish, maybe buff orpingtons.

good luck, they are adorable. Hope to see you over at BYC!!!

They are cute as cute can be. You could have Orpingtons. Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, White Rocks and leghorns in the mix..... And I'm willing to bet that little white one up front is a roo.....

I joined BYC and asked over there as well to see. Best I can come up with is the little redish ones and the larger white are leghorns, and the little black and golds wyandottes. But again I am not real sure. Will be interesting to see them all mature and see what they will look like as adults. And if did infact get all females lol.

Well, here's my guess. The ones with the different colored strip up the middle of the head are Aracaunas that lay the colored eggs. It's hard to tell on the darker ones, but if they have the strip, they could be Aracaunas too. The reddish tans are Rhode Island Reds, and the white in the front probably a white leghorn and I agree with Sterling that he's a rooster. See how the comb on his head runs further up and is bigger?

Also, if you look at the feathers on the end of their wings, sometimes you can make a pretty good guess that the ones that have longer end pin feathers are rooster and the shorter ones are hens.

Good luck with them and have fun.

My guess is rhode island reds and americaunas...that is what the feed stores usually carry...they are hardy and good layers...the big white one?...no idea. Have fun with them whatever they are!

I agree on the Ameraucana theory. I have 3 ameraucanas and 3 cuckoo marans and they all have wonderful personalities. I love the cuckoo marans for the VERY dark brown eggs, one hen lays almost dark chocolate color eggs and then my ameraucanas lay blue and one of the them what I call gunner green eggs. They are so cute when they are small but they are pretty funny when they mature. One of mine I call Henny Penny, she is too funny. Whenever she sees me out and if they are out of their run she comes running to me like no tomorrow, lol, and waits for me to pick her up.
default_laugh.png

Oh I just love chicks! I have no clue what yours are! But I did want to add that I'm very happy to know I'm not the only one with chicks in my house! LOL!
default_wink.png
default_wub.png
This is my first year for chicks and someone on here mentioned that backyard chicken forum, it's great!!! I got 12 from the feed store and now they are 6 weeks old! And crazy big!!!! LOL! I just check that forum if I have a question sence I'm super new at this. So far so good!!!!

Good luck with your babies!

I don't have chickens, but a couple of good friends of mine do.........They LOVE their "Easter Eggers". Their's are mature but are brown with black strips.....like your chicks. If you want nice colorful BIG eggs, those are going to be great for you. One of my friends gave me a dozen eggs from her Easter Eggers and their colors ranged from blue to green to teal and the size was the equivelant of the JUMBO size you get in the store.

Well here is a list of all of them, all 17 (Couldn't help myself I got more lol) Out of the 17, there are 9 smaller ones and the other 8 are larger/older, and here they are all are (Might have to do it in 2 posts, I'll find out):

First are the 2 larger I believe to be White Leghorns. One appears to be male, the other female. Since they are both the same age, but one is much rounder and the other tends to stand upright and be bossy (thats the one who you guys all think is a roo, and i think your right lol) Here are some pics of them:

58435Leghorn_Male.JPG

Maybe Rooster?

58435Leghorn_Hen.JPG

Pretty sure this one is a pullet

58435Leghorns_both.JPG

Both together

This one I believe is an Americana (Easter egger) pullet. She has blue tinted legs, and the odd chimpmunk look, just have one of this kind, and she is one of the larger chicks:

58435Americana.JPG

These next ones I believe are Rhode Island Reds (RIR's) I have 9 of them, 4 small and 5 Large. I have pics of the larger one, and then one small and one large together. I believe they are all pullets:

58435Bigger_RIR.JPG

58435Big_and_Little_RIR.JPG

And here are the rest they are 2 different kinds of Wyandottes. I have 1 large appears to be a roo, Gold Laced Wyandotte along with 2 little Gold laced Wyandottes. And then 2 small Silver Laced Wyandottes.

58435Big_GLW_and_Lil_GLW.JPG

The large one shown here is my friends, the one she picked out. And he is extremely friendly and will run to your hand in the pen, as the others all run away. He tends to argue with the Leghorn maybe Roo. So I am thinking they are the boys in the group.

58435Smaller_GLW.JPG

Small Gold Laced Wyandotte

58435SLW_Front.JPG

58435SLW_Single.JPG

Silver Laced Wyandotte, front and back.

Excuse the poor lighting. I was taking them without the flash so I wouldn't scare them

let me know how you think I did on guessing them all lol

Yep, the white chicks look like Leghorns to me, too. The "chipmunk" is almost inarguably an Americauna - the green legs are pretty typical. I disagree with the RIR's, though. I don't think they are anywhere near dark enough. My guess would be Buff Orpingtons, or maybe Gold Comets. The others? I can't really say at this point, although the two smaller ones look like they might be Americaunas, as well. Americaunas come in a wide variety of colors, I've had Americauna chicks that were anywhere from nearly gold to almost completely black.

Funny thing about Americauna eggs. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but they make really nice boiled eggs. With every other kind of egg, I have to let them get at least a week old before I boil them, they tend to stick to the shell otherwise. With the Americauna eggs, they almost always peel without sticking, no matter how fresh they are!
default_smile.png

I agree with Bunnylady about the RIR's. They look like they could be Buff Orpingtons or Bufff Rocks. They are just all so cute!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Bunnylady about the RIR's. They look like they could be Buff Orpingtons or Bufff Rocks. They are just all so cute!!!
It's hard to show in the pictures but they are actually dark. They have orangish colored bodies and then dark orange stripes on their backs. They may not be RIR's but they sure are cute. Thats why I got so many of them lol

RIRs' wing feathers look like the "chipmunk's" do, except in shades of brown and rust. MUCH darker than those kids look. When they've grown up a bit more (say, a couple of months from now) you should be able to narrow it down pretty easily. Enjoy your "cheepies" (my daughter's word - we have some too!)
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back