Anyone here use Care Credit for Vet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
We don't use credit cards anymore since retirement. Paid them off, cut them up. Gone.

We live on a strict budget and it works for us just fine.

But last week my puppy became very sick. This could have been a very costly surgery which would have upset the apple cart somewhat but thankfully it was not. Then I heard about Care Credit for vet procedures and I thought this could be a very good card to have for me to use for the animals just in case.

I researched Care Credit and found a lot of negatives and very angry people calling the company rip offs and bogus. I also read about many who were happy with it.

Mr. Retirement does not like the idea one bit but I think it would be good for an emergency.

Anyone ever use Care Credit?

In my experience Care Credit will extend credit to people who don't need it and won't to people who do.

The premise is that the caregiver (MD, DDS, DVM, etc...) accepts a partial payment (I think 85% of the bill) as full payment from Care Credit immediately while the patient/owner pays Care Credit over time. For my business, a 15% discount is simply too large to pay for the service.

What I encourage people to do is have 1 credit card you keep hidden away and never use with a limit on it high enough to get you through emergencies and then either make payments to the card or get a short term loan from your bank at a lower rate and use that money to pay off the card.

Dr. Taylor

I fully agree with Dr. Taylor. That is what we do. I like to make sure my vets are paid anyway. They are important people to us; just as important as our personal physicians!

No Vet in this area will do payments.

When our cat Sadie, needed surgery in the tune $1,200.00.... I did not have the money. So I ended up getting Care credit.

I found out that Care Credit would love to issue us a card but decided against it so I got my own little Visa to use in case of a vet emergency so we don't ever have pull anything out of what I call the "nursing home fund" LOL

I used Care Credit many years ago for a colic surgery at UGA. At the time I didn't have almost 5k at hand and the university offered it as a option. Since I do NOT like to pay interest period I looked around and did not find any Visa or Mastercard that was offering 0% interest for 24 months like care Credit was so I did go with the Care Credit. If I remember correctly my payment was around $200. a month and I ended up payng it off before the 2 years. It worked well for me, no problems at all so I would recommend it.

At the time from their Website I recommended my local Vets to receive info. about it and both signed up and offer it to this day.

Since then I put back money for pet emergencies and when it got to a certain amount it just sits there, it's my do not touch fund. I did have a contingency fund back then but not for the amount of that darn colic surgery bill!!

Build a Vet. fee fund, I started mine with $20. a month, if you are faced with an emergency before it's high enough to use look around for interest free cards is my best advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back