Anyone here raise cattle? First time raising them???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabby-Chicken

Reaction score
This is our Charolais X jersey steer. Hard to tell from this photo but he is about to my chin now. I am 5'4"s. He seems to be filled in everywhere. Does he look finished? And can anyone hazard a guess on his weight? I have no clue. He is due to be processed in one month at almost 15 months old. Thanks for the help!
399417_436324119745520_488153628_n.jpg

He looks pretty good, at almost 15 months he's getting close to processing time, ours sometimes go a little longer, but that's mostly due to our schedule. No clue as to weight, as we raise Red AngusX cattle and they have a different build; but he does look to be filled in nicely, so keep up with whatever you are doing, it seems to be working. You won't regret homegrown beef, its the best.

Thank you Chandab, this has been a learning experience for us. I have no idea how much he weighs!

Thank you Chandab, this has been a learning experience for us. I have no idea how much he weighs!
Probably between 700-900, but with the charlois in there, it could be a bit more. I honestly don't know, maybe 400-500# dressed out (fair amount of "waste" with bone, hide and parts I don't eat); but in any case, you should get a freezer full out of him.

I hope you have a good processor available to you, as that can make a difference too in what you get. I like my hamburger in 2# packages and roasts sized to fit my crock pot (he's been pretty good on roast sizes, don't know the weight, I've just told him so it fits my crock-pot). My MIL recently gave us a few packages of hamburger and a couple roasts, they were out of room in their freezer, and I wasn't as impressed with their beef as our own home raised (they are actually retired, but my BIL had a heifer processed), they used a different processor. [The only way to know is word of mouth and trial and error. And, neither are fool proof, as everyone can have a bad day as easily as a good day.]

Thanks Chanda!

That is good to know! We have a great processor near us that has been recommended by everyone I have talked to!

Thanks for the guess, it gives me an idea of what he weighs now!

I"m trying to remember what ours have weighed when we've taken them in, I think the smallest was around 600# and the largest was over 1000# (we got him in late, so he was over 2 years old; we missed the opportunity before winter, and then were snowed in for 3 months, and we had to buy beef and that sucked). [Oh, and those are live weights, not dressed weights.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back