Anyone here own an IteBte Buggy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerocket

Reaction score
Anyone on the forum own a 4 wheel buggy made by IteBte Ranch? Ken Willingham or Mike Groose are the people who make them.

Looking for references here... PM me with anything you don't wish to publicly share please.. or email to [email protected]

I am possibly ordering a custom made phaeton like vehicle --- this one will have one bench seat facing forward for the driver... and two single person seats in the rear.. facing each other... like a ??? I don't recall the term for it.

If we get it.. I will order it with both shafts for a single and a double tree for a pair. Comes with wire pneumatic wheels... and also could order steel or wooden wheels for ADS competition.

ADS PEOPLE --- can I compete at the LOW LEVELS with a single VSE in the PLEASURE shows??? how about the CDE's??? or do I have to have a PAIR with a 4 wheel? or steel/wooden wheels???

I THINK the rule book says wire wheels are ok until preliminary level... but don't remember for PLEASURE competition.

Link to their website:link to the phaeton like buggies

All I can say.. is from what I can see... and from what I have heard from the manufacturer.. it looks like a steal at that price.. custom made!!

THANKS

JJ

Oh I like those buggys I can help you with any information pro or con but they sure look nice

The term, for the vehicle you described, is "wagonette".

I am not *absolutely* sure(however, I understand you can look up the current

ADS rules on their website, so you might well be able to find the sure answer there!)-however, I know of no reason you couldn't drive a single to a suitable 4 wheeled vehicle. I would be sure to ask some questions about the overall weight of the vehicle(one of the major drawbacks about driving a single mini to 4 wheeled vehicle is the overall weight, especially with more than one person on board. It would not be as much of an issue if you had a "big" B-sized mini as for, say, a 32" A sized, but is definitely something to think about!)--and about the maneuverability. I went and looked at the website you cited; these vehicles "look like" they are genuine "cutunders" , meaning the front wheels will not hit the body of the vehicle, but will "fit into" the cutunder, allowing for tight turns;

however, there has to be a fifth wheel or similar for that to work. Some of the cute vehicles one sees turn out to be somewhat limited in their maneuverability, and also a bit top-heavy-which would be a tipping hazard, for sure, especially if you wanted to do marathon-type maneuvers! (In other words, fine for just going down the road, but not suitable for turning in a limited space!) I would surely recommend you KNOW, before you buy, the vehicle's capabilities in that respect, and how that jibes with how you want to use it!

On the wheel issue--my several-year-old, printed ADS Rulebook says that wire-wheeled and pneumatic-tired vehicles may be permitted(in an official ADS competition), at management's discretion, under the following circumstances: it's the show's first year as an ADS-approved competition; if the vehicle is an ANTIQUE wire-wheeled vehicle(long wire spokes, hard rubber tires); in maiden, novice, or junior pleas. driving classes, and at Training Level in CDE's. Any show, whether ADS approved or not, should have to publish their requirements in their premium, so you would know before entering what their requirements were. Wooden or metal wheels are heavier than pneumatic ones; even if you want to get both, and have them interchangable, it would be good to know the overall weight involved. Pneumatic are better if the ground is soft, as the narrower hard rubber inserts on metal or wooden wheels tend to be narrower, and "cut into" soft ground more, making drawing the vehicle along harder for the horse-but they DO get flats(and, a friend of mine recently shared with me that the solid inserts tend to loosen the spokes, causing loss and necessary repair, so they are NOT the "solution" some think....).

Good luck, and let us know what you get, OK?
yes.gif

The style you are referring to has one forward facing and one rear facing seat as well as a drivers seat it is called a vis-a-vis. I happen to have one total restoration in pony size and another that has not been restored but is in good servicable condition. The names of the makers escapes me at this moment but both are vintage vehicals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the information.

Weight for a 2 seater (both bench seats holding up to 2 moderate sized adults each) made of aluminum is about 225 pounds. We project the weight of the one we are considering.. ONE bench seat for driver and 2 single people side inward facing seats.. with the lenght of the buggy being between the 2 bench and 1 bench size.. also made of aluminum is also around 225.

Can get steel wheels or wood wheels as additional options.

comes with the wire pneumatic tires.

Yes, it has a 5th wheel -- have not yet inquired about brakes.

I have 32 - 38" minis for driving.. plan to do single with the 33 3/4 gelding and the 38" one. 32's would do pairs..

Think we will be ordering this later this fall. Construction time is 6-8 weeks then have to arrange to pick it up.

So.... sometime next spring.. assuming we have one.. I will post pictures of the finished buggy.

Worst case we will use it to drive around here..

Thanks again for the input.

JJay

Latest posts

Back