Anyone here breed dogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenna

Reaction score
So with the whole NBC Today Show fiasco going around like wildfire with their one sided reporting on only the negative side of dog breeding it got me thinking and I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

Do you breed dogs? What got you into that particular breed? And what do you think about the NBC Today Show report?

I eventually want to breed Australian Shepherds but that won't be happening for a few years because I need to learn everything I can about them and lineage etc before I even think about purchasing my first show pup. (Lexi is going to be my agility dog/ intro to the conformation ring, I bought her on a Spay Contract)

There are a whole, whole lot of dogs in this country. I don't breed dogs but if I did, I'd be showing the heck out of it first and breeding for show dogs. As far as pets go, there are plenty of rescues out there, some with nice dogs that simply ended up in the wrong home for the breed.

Didn't see the tv show but there are plenty enough barn blind people out there.

Horses are overpopulated enough, and a mare can only have one offspring per year!

AKC response:

The AKC is extremely disappointed that The Today Show was given all of the information below but chose not to include any of it in their segment this morning. We met with the producers for an hour prior to the taped interview — which also lasted nearly an hour — and we provided them with supporting documentation, and they chose only to include less than 1 minute of airtime for AKC. They disregarded important facts that should have been told. In fact, we requested to receive a copy of the tape of the entire, unedited interview with Jeff Rossen so that we could show you all of the information we gave them, but their lawyers refused to provide the footage to us.

Here are some top facts that The Today Show didn't tell you:
  1. They didn't tell you that no other organization does more to protect dogs than the AKC and that "being the dog's champion" means, among other things, donating more than $24 million to canine health research, conducting kennel inspections, and offering more educational programs for responsible dog owners than any other organization.
  2. They didn't tell you that when an AKC inspector finds substandard kennel conditions they must immediately report it to the appropriate federal, state and local authorities to take action.
  3. They didn't tell you that, in many instances, the highly publicized raids for which animal rights groups take credit in the media have come about as a direct result of AKC's reporting to law enforcement.
  4. They didn't tell you that, as we explained to Jeff Rossen and his producers numerous times, there are no "AKC Registered Operations" or "AKC Registered Breeders" and that breeders use AKC services voluntarily.
  5. They didn’t tell you that less than 5% of AKC’s registration revenue comes from commercial breeders or that the AKC is a not-for-profit organization whose total revenues are less than the total marketing budget of the HSUS.
  6. They didn't tell you that AKC saw substandard breeders leave the registry in droves in the mid-1990's when we instituted an inspections program. We did it anyway, even though it affected our bottom line negatively, because it was the right thing to do for dogs. And, more breeders left when we began DNA testing.
  7. They didn't tell you that when AKC has concerns with legislation, it publicly puts legislative alerts on its website where anyone can learn about how a bill may potentially affect responsible breeders and dog owners' rights and not do anything to protect dogs.
  8. They didn't tell you that AKC works to ensure the enforcement of cruelty and neglect laws, as well as the provisions of the federal Animal Welfare Act. As a result, AKC has a productive working relationship with local animal controls, state and local law enforcement, state departments of agriculture throughout the country, as well as the USDA.
  9. They didn't tell you that AKC is well respected by lawmakers who consider us credible experts on dog issues, and rely on our thoughtful and considered advice when it comes to legislation that will impact dogs and their breeders and owners.
  10. They didn’t tell you that the purebred rescue groups they referenced are actually AKC breed parent club groups and affiliates that make up the largest dog rescue group network in the country.
  11. They didn't tell you that The Today Show's Natalie Morales made a TV public service announcement in conjunction with the Ad Council and the HSUS.

There are a whole, whole lot of dogs in this country. I don't breed dogs but if I did, I'd be showing the heck out of it first and breeding for show dogs. As far as pets go, there are plenty of rescues out there, some with nice dogs that simply ended up in the wrong home for the breed.

Didn't see the tv show but there are plenty enough barn blind people out there.

Horses are overpopulated enough, and a mare can only have one offspring per year!
Well said..

I worked for a boarding kennel last year and the owner ran an undercover type puppy mill - numerous breeds, inbreeding, mix breeding, poor facilities and no health care. Horrible situation. I've seen many dogs die or killed (by other dogs or human). The stuff I witnessed I couldn't make up. I had it under investigation with different animal control groups when I finally made the decision to find another job (I was a dog groomer for the kennel).

Definitely, research, get out into the show ring and overall be as responsible as possible shall you decide to breed.

Where I worked sold pet quailty puppies at cheap prices and some still never sold and in turn hung around just waiting until they were of age to breed.

I have met / purchased dogs from some amazing breeders though.. Not all are bad or puppy mill type.

Just like I assume all boarding kennels aren't bad but after working there and handing owners back their dogs in trash bags, rushing customer's dogs to vets because the owner and other employees didn't care.. Numerous preventable dog fights and injuries. Starved and beatend dogs.. Oblivious owners. So sad. I did everything I could to get the place investigated after I quit. Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for the info on the segment!

And if/when I do decide to breed, trust me; an immeasurable amount of time, money and effort will be going into it. I mean I haven't even decided on a Kennel/Farm name and there will be no breeding of anything before my research is done and my name picked haha.

I know that with horses and dogs there are so many out there already and would never make a crossing that I personally didn't feel would better the breed. One of my favorite past times (yep, totally nerding out here) is research. Whether it's a new breed, lineage, etc...when I make decision to learn about something I almost become obsessive in my need to absorb as much information as possible; hence why it took me two years to pick a breed of dog and an additional year and a half to settle on a breeder to get Lexi.

I've always wanted to breed horses and dogs; but never for a profit, because in most cases if you're breeding for a profit; some aspect is possibly suffering (quality, health, etc) not to say that breeders who do end up making a profit are doing it wrong, just that literally needs to be the sprinkles on top of the cherry and whip cream, not the bottom line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up around show dogs and breeders. I never knew a legit dog show person who didn't treat their dogs like equals. Heck, most would have laid down their lives for their dogs. I heard that when a certain animal rights group first organized, they would go around shows and let the dogs loose. The dogs would run out into the road and get killed. I advocate real breeders first before shelters, and I never advocate pet stores selling puppies and kittens. My sister used a puppy questionnaire and if you didn't pass you were ineligible for a puppy. She didn't breed until she had a line of owners set up. I didn't see the today show episode, but it sounds like an outrage. I can't watch most tv any more. They probably had some ignorant agenda based on the thoughts of some bleeding heart, completely out of touch with reality.

We breed Bernese Mountain Dogs on a very small scale; our girl, Callie, had 5 litters for us and has been retired from breeding since November 2011. She just turned 8. Her daughter, Katie, had her first litter on July 1, 2012, at 4 years of age. Our dogs are registered with the Canadian Kennel Club and are registered with Bernergarde.

We sell our puppies with a non-breediing contract, a two year health guarantee, dewormed at 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks, registered, microchipped, vet-checked, 1st vaccinations etc.

I decided on the Berner because they're just great family dogs. They're big, goofy, love able clowns.

We've been very careful in our selection and have, so far, heard of no health issues in any of the 50+ puppies we've sold (knock-on-wood). The Berner, like many large breeds, can be plagued with health issues (specifically bone cancer and hip and elbow dysplasia), so we're very proud of our track record.

Don't know anything about the NBC thing, but just wanted to share.

Well I guess I better put my flame suit on
default_nono.gif
I have been involved in rescue for years (cat,dog,bird). Since this is about dogs, all anyone has to do is look at petharbor.com and see all the dogs in shelters around the country that need homes. Just within 100 miles of my area, there were over 360 pages of dogs in shelters needing homes. Each page as 10 dogs on it. That comes to 3600 dogs in just one area!! IMO we could go without breeding for many many years and still have dogs that need homes. And yes, I have heard all the arguments (I don't want someone elses bad behaved dog, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but puppies are so so cute). I also advocate mandatory spay and neuter. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way I do, but since you asked, this is how I feel. Some may call me a bleeding heart, I prefer to call it a caring heart for all the dogs that need homes.

I'm glad breeders are still out there...the ones that do it responsibly and with the welfare of their dogs as their #1 priority.

Most shelters/rescue organizations won't adopt to my family because:

• we use an underground fencing system
  • we've had one dog get hit by a car and killed (which is why we have the underground fencing)
  • we do not vaccinate for every thing our vet recommends
Still, I believe I'm a responsible dog owner and have been for more than 25 years. My dogs are fed quality food. They get regular routine medicare care as well as "as-needed" care by a respectable, long-standing vet practice in our area (I've used the same vet at that practice for the last 15 years). My bills alone for our Golden (allergies) would scare most horse people! Despite this, my applications have been completely ignored and sometimes, when not ignored, responded to with disdain and poor attitude. They live in our home 100% of the time and are treated like members of our family.

in years past, I also needed to ensure that I wasn't bringing a dog into my home with my small children that *could* have a unseen issue. And no matter what an organization says otherwise, unless they've know that particular dog personally since birth, they can't say 100% that a particular dog hasn't suffered some kind of abuse or have unknown behavior issues. That's a risk I was not willing to take with my children. So we purchased our dogs from breeders. We did our homework and did our best to buy from quality breeders with quality dogs.

Now that my kids are older (teenagers), we can take a bit more risks. That's why we have our 3rd dog, a border collie mixed. We were told by her previous owners (it was a direct transfer from her first owners to us) that she had no issues. While she is a *wonderful* dog, she most certainly has issues. She's food aggressive and if she's feeling anxious/stressed is capable of biting. Our experience with dogs gives us the ability to manage her problems, thankfully but I could never re-home with this issue, especially not with a family.

While I recognize there is a big problem out there, I will always do what's best for my family first. And sometimes that will mean buying a purebred puppy from a good breeder.

I am so glad there are shelters, but there wouldn't need to be shelters to the extent that there are if more pet dog owners were responsible. Most people who invest their time in showing/titling and breeding are responsible because you aren't going to put that much into something without putting your whole self into it too. Getting pets from shelters is often encouraging this irresponsible dog ownership. It is the folks who a) don't realize what they're getting into b) don't take the responsibilty of dog ownership seriously c) tie unspayed females outside or to a tree d) want to make money e) want to make the next new designer breed (eg mutt) f) want to experience a breeding project whose dogs end up in shelters. These are the folks that aren't going to invest in testing eyes, elbows, and hips before they stick two ends together. They aren't going to be concerned with titles or genetics or improving upon specific breeds. It is not a perfect world, but I don't believe in punishing good breeders for the acts of puppy mills and irresponsible owners. Again, glad for shelters, but if I were to get a dog, I'd do my research and find a breeder.

Unfortunately a good breeder cannot guarantee they are selling their dogs to a good home. Just like the shelters and rescues cannot either, for that matter. But why breed more dogs when we are already over run with dogs in shelters/rescues. This is where mandatory spay/neuter comes in to play. For the almost 40 years I have been involved in rescue, the best dogs I have had the pleasure of knowing, have all been from rescues/shelters. Yes there are wonderful, responsible breeders out there, but there are also wonderful dogs that desperately need homes. Why breed more???

Well...if you're going by the, "There are far too many unwanted dogs" argument, I'd suggest that humans stop breeding for a while, too; there are far too many humans on the planet and many many unwanted children up for adoption.

that is sooo true. We all as animal lovers naturally talk about the over population of dogs, cats and horses all the time. We point out the hoarders who want them all but can't properly care for them and blame the breeding farms/backyard breeders that keep the market flooded and the rescues full..... but that all pales in comparison to all the children who need homes.

Do you ever think about all the people you know who spend several thousands of dollars a year on their animals and the ones who spend their time and money at animal rescues in regard to the children who could go to college on that money or would benefit from the same compassion? .....or that while we all gripe about someone breeding another litter or birthing another foal that there are children going to sleep hungry?

matt, that is just unrealistic.

i will put my flame suit on, too...if a person is not showing, health testing and seeking to better their chosen breed, they have no business churning out puppies. responsible breeders make sure their puppies are going to homes knowledgeable of their breed. i can only speak of my chosen breed, great danes, but the biggest reason so many danes end up in rescue/shelters is because people *think* they want a great dane. then that cute puppy is suddenly a 100 pound+ giant dog with NO manners (and oftentimes no bit inhibition because they are sold when they are 6 weeks old) and they either don't know how to deal with these problems or they choose not to and end up giving the dog up. and my all-time favorites...well, i didn't know he'd get THAT big!...he eats too much! what part of "great dane" don't they understand?

there are danes in rescue with all sorts of health and/or temperament issues because these back yard breeders are getting enormous amounts of $$$ for mediocre puppies and so they just keep breeding and breeding and breeding without any thought to where these puppies ultimately end up. i have seen people spend upward of $1,500+ for a back yard bred puppy when they could have gone to a responsible breeder, paid the same (or less) and gotten a well-bred pet quality dane. it boggles my mind!

if you think it's ok to breed your dogs just because they are fertile and you wanna make some $$$ selling puppies, just spend a day at your local pound (usually a friday) when they are lining dogs up to be euthanized because they can't find homes for them because they are 1-vicious, 2-ugly, 3-old...the list goes on and on.

Believe me, I feel that a lot of humans should stop breeding also. But as Charlene mentioned, that is unrealistic. We do have at least some control over the animal population. I think going to a shelter as Charlene suggested is a wonderful idea. It is also sad and heartbreaking. I get knocked down all the time for my beliefs. Have been called a nutbag, PETA freak (although I have never belonged or believe in PETA), whack job, etc etc. Doesn't bother me a bit. What does bother me is animals being euthanized for no reason other than we have too many on the planet.

The question was asked and that is how change comes about, with dialogue. Nothing happens overnight, but I hope it does change in the future. For the sake of the animals. Most humans I could take or leave. They created the problem.

Check out this link. This is what I mean by a good breeder. A good breeder is going to put in more thought, action, and expense into their breeding than anyone. I believe in breeding less, but breeds need to be continued. You cannot quit altogether. We cannot quit with the minis altogether either. http://rufflyspeaking.net/puppy-buyer-ettiquette/

Check out this link. This is what I mean by a good breeder. A good breeder is going to put in more thought, action, and expense into their breeding than anyone. I believe in breeding less, but breeds need to be continued. You cannot quit altogether. We cannot quit with the minis altogether either. http://rufflyspeaking.net/puppy-buyer-ettiquette/
Hey, I know Joanna VERY well!!
default_smile.png
Thanks for linking to her blog!

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back