anyone heard of this

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very sorry for your loss. How horrible to have something happen so quickly like that

Not having an answer sometimes is almost as hard as the loss itself.

You know my lawn guy (ok so really he is more like my weed guy) has told me he has seperate cutters and mowers he uses for pastures and areas close to livestock. That he worries if he was at a house before mine and used chemicals and then cut there lawn (most dont have him as just a weed guy) and used the same machine near grazing animals that they might not get some leftover clippings stuck on/in the machine or that some leftover chemicals can be transfered ?

I dont know if that can even happen but I did like that he at least thought about it.

Thanks for sharing your loss with us in order to help others to keep this from happening.

I am so VERY sorry. I have spent a week mowing my pastures, mainly because of those stubborn wild yellow flowers that take over. The minis pastures I use my riding mower that has a mulcher, but the last couple of days I have been working on my fullsize horses pasture with my brush hog, most of what I am cutting is weeds. But, I was concerned about the souring and mold, and my husband said they wouldn't eat it. Well, I am heading out to move them...I don't want to find out the hard way that he is wrong (wouldn't be the 1st time :eek: )

Again, I am so sorry, I can only imagine how you feel and I really don't think a small amount of grass clippings, would have got him down so fast JMO, not an expert, if it's not to late maybe you should have an autospy (sp) just so u know for sure.

Bob,

So sorry for your loss.

I used to feed some grass clippings to my horses ages ago, I was lucky that I never had a problem; but after hearing about other people's tragedies, I quit, its just not worth the what ifs. [Now the lawn clippings go to my bottle calves and they love them; we don't use anything on our lawn, except the lawn mower.]

and you won't know for sure unless you have an autopsy done (sorry, I forget the phrase for one done on an animal).
I believe the word you are looking for is "necropsy".

I'm sorry you and Vickie lost him Bob.
default_sad.png

From my college nutrition classes the responses on the grass clippings being high in carbohydrates and fermenting rapidly are true. The main reason for the difference is the lawn mower almost works like a micro processor in that the clippings are cut short but also have multiple abrasions on them which if left in the sun they would dry much faster than long lenght grass or even hay. But in the gut the digestion process progresses very rapidly (way beyond what a horses system is capable of handling) which is likely the cause of the scours. The acid produced increases rapidly and often there can be rapid gas build up as well. Some horses can handle this to a degree and others it can be very lethal especially if there are other facters involved.

Bush hogging or mowing pastures is usually a little different in that the grass and weeds are the same that the horses have been eating or had access to. Thus they are not nearly as enticing as a treat. Your basically cutting what they would eat. If spread out some what they tend to dry out rapidly in the sun. Once dried they now become basically hay. If it is the same grass and weeds they would not eat live they are not likely to care for them dried either. Now I am sure there are some horses out there that would inhale anything just mowed just because it is easier to eat, less work.

Sorry to hear of your loss Bob and hoping everyone including myself will keep this in mind when mowing near the pastures.

Mark

Yes, grass clippings are very dangerous to horses - especially fresh cut. It does not take much, but they will ferment very rapidly in a horses gut, and this can lead to a rupture or toxicity. Bottom line, don't feed grass clippings. When a lawn is newly mowed, it is best to leave the horses off of it for a couple of days to ensure that they have dried out sufficiently that they won't ferment.

I am so sorry for the loss of your horse, I had a friend lose her horse to the same thing not long ago. :no:

Stacy

I have heard of problems with grass clippings before.

They can cause founder if fed too much and the horse is not used to it. Also if the damp grass clipping set for a couple of days, can develope molds, botulism and other stuff. The grass clipping ferment very quickly and can wreak havoc on a horse- not so much with a cow that has 4 stomaches. Depending on what type of grass it is too, will tell what type of problem will develope from eating the clippings.

I would be awfully nervous that it wasn't grass clippings that caused this death. . .I think a lot of us mow our pastures and don't have any problems (though I would never deliberately feed grass clippings).

I would be so scared that it was something else that could be contagious to other horses in the area.

I'm very sorry for your loss!

so sorry for your loss :no:

how horrible

we have always mowed our pastures with our horses in them but I know not to feed grass clippings but I never thought small amounts would hurt them as mowing with them in the pasture. But it sounds like it was a small amount you fed

Lori

Please accept my condolences for your tragic loss. ((((((Hugs)))))) to you and your wife.

Latest posts

Back