anyone heard of Clover hay????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
We have some first cuttings starting here in Nw Florida!!!

One place that has irrigation and last year had Beautifull hay, has a cutting of Bermuda/clover hay??????

I have no idea what that is. I have a friend that feeds it to her big horses, and said it is rich hay.

I have some of last years, and dont need to get any yet, but I am longing for the green hay, as I am sure the horses are. I was wondering if clover mix hay is bad, good or somewhere inbetween.
default_unsure.png

The next cutting should be all bermuda hay. I am waiting on a call back from my other hay guy to see if he is cutting yet. He has regular bermuda hay.

Also what is the differences in first, second cut ect???
default_saludando.gif

I can't tell you much because there are different kinds of clover (alsike clover is not great for horses but red clover is not bad) Clovers are a legume related to alfalfa. It is usually considered cow hay here but people do feed it to their horses with out any problems. The alsike unfortunately is a naturally occurring plant and turns up in our pasture with out seeding. It can cause liver issues and photosensitivety (sp) Horses grazing on alsike will often have scabs and cracked dry skin on their noses from sunburn (mostly shows up on white noses/pink skin) So it does depend on what kind of clover.

Every now and then a touch of clover jumps into our hay. The horses do love it. If it was an extremely low percentage of clover I would buy it, but I mean very low percentage, like little to hardly none. But if you are looking at say more than 20% clover, nope.

Was delighted to find a older gentleman still making clover hay this past winter....wonderful stuff for the young horses but needs to be put up right!

thanks all!!

I think I may get a couple square bales, and treat them with it a bit. I think he is baling squares too, If only round I will pass it up till next cutting which will be bermuda.
default_yes.gif

We have grown some clover hay here in Delaware.It is very difficult to get it cured correctly since the clover leaves are round shape and large they tend to cup and hold moisture and get moldy.I prefer hay with no clover especially if it is very humid where it is grown.

I have fed clover hay for many years to my quarter horses and now to my minis. They do like it but the main thing, as someone else said it has to be dried correctly or it becomes dusty and moldy.

Latest posts

Back