Anyone have crabs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoddalottaFarm

Reaction score
Hey all!

I am currently researching Hermit Crabs. My husband had them when he was young and he's been wanting to get them again for quite some time. While I have owned almost *every* animal known to man, hermit crabs were never on my list.
default_smile.png
I have been reading books and websites, but am looking for "hermie" owners to talk to about their experiences and what works/doesn't work for them.

Thanks!!!

Never had them, just loved finding them back east
default_wub.png
Hope you have fun with them!

I had 4 of them for about 3 years. And 1 can NOT live by them selves. You NEED extra shells so when they grow or get sick of them they need humidity and i had to buy a heater you stuck on the side of the tank i have TONS of hermy stuff i spent a lot on and now its just put in the closet
default_sad.png
i want them agian but my mom doesnt want me to get more they are alot of fun and i used to take them to the beach with me i had spidey aka spider man lightning aka lightening striker and also Big aka big ben HE WAS HHUUUGGGGEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! his claws were so big!!! he pinched me once when we were at the beach cuz he was scared and OUCH lol

Growing up my cousins constantly owned them. They weren't allowed to have pets. But with me growing up with a dog, cat and goats, I guess I never really saw the point in them.

i'm sorry no i have't but have been looking to get my son a few...let me know what you learn and when you get some.

I have 3...Phil, Sig, and Kieth...I am fairly new at it too (I had them when I was younger though). I love decorating the tank into the "beach", "rainforest" scenes. You will need to keep the tank between 70-80 and the humidity has to be around 80 percent...three or more is a good number, they don,t like to be alone. They will need a fresh water and a salt water bowl large enough for them to "bathe" in. They love to climb so things for them to climb and hide under. Provide xtra shells for them alittle smaller, alittle bigger, and the same size they are now. Sand is the best bottom with a few rocks too. No painted shells. Food...they will eat fruits and veggies and even raw meat. Do not handle them for at leeast 3 weeks after you get them...they stress easy in new places. Have fun!

How did you guess??? ;) It is my favorite show! If I get more I have plenty of names picked out...Johnathan...Andy..Monty...Wade...Edgar...Josh...Jake...Freddy...and so on! LOL

I had five of the little rascals at one time, but it was many years ago. I remember that two of them were named Buster and Crusty, can't remember the others' names. Handwashing after handling is super important, as hermit crabs have a reputation for carrying Salmonella (like turtles). Also remember, they don't see very well, and anything that passes above them will cause them to "duck and cover"!

I have two. Electric blue dwarfs. They're busy little critters and clean every piece of left over food from my tank. Funny thing is they are in a 29 gallon tank and they are only about 1/2 inch long (including shells) but they always know where each other is chillin'. Very useful CUC.

We've had several over the last few years.....for our daughter's benefit. They seem to like the company of others of their own kind. Interestingly, they do have sort of different personalities. Some are more curious, some are shy, some are aggressive......Have yet to meet a lovable one, though.
default_laugh.png

They need humidity, so we do two things......They have a second water dish with a sponge in it. Plus, Brianna (supposedly) mists them daily with a small spray bottle.

They are scavengers, so in addition to the store bought food, they get small pieces of lettuce, apple, raw hamburger, and tiny dabs of peanut butter for occasional treats.

And yes, it's important to have extra shells available. Once their claws can no longer fit inside their shell when they tuck, they will be needing a larger one.

We've had several over the last few years.....for our daughter's benefit. They seem to like the company of others of their own kind. Interestingly, they do have sort of different personalities. Some are more curious, some are shy, some are aggressive......Have yet to meet a lovable one, though.
default_laugh.png

They need humidity, so we do two things......They have a second water dish with a sponge in it. Plus, Brianna (supposedly) mists them daily with a small spray bottle.

They are scavengers, so in addition to the store bought food, they get small pieces of lettuce, apple, raw hamburger, and tiny dabs of peanut butter for occasional treats.

And yes, it's important to have extra shells available. Once their claws can no longer fit inside their shell when they tuck, they will be needing a larger one.
my mom is so right we love these little guys

i have two right now

Humidity...hahah right....mine are living in 29 gallons of saltwater
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back