Anyone have any good potato soup recipes.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoMango

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a good simple recipe. Thanks for any help.

This is a delicious soup that is made for when budgets are tight. I love this soup. This looks involved, but it's not, trust me!

Good Potato Soup

Peel and cut into bite-sized cubes of russet potatoes. I like to use them rather than reds or yellows because they tend to fall apart more easily, making for a thicker, creamier soup. Just cover with water and cook until tender. Do not drain. I do a lot and make a big pot, but you can do only 4 potatoes or so, but cut the following roux recipe in 1/2 then.

While the potatoes are cooking, put one stick of butter in your big soup pot and add one big onion, chopped. You can also use a leek or two instead if you prefer. The onions/leeks really enrich this soup with their sweetness. Once the onion is nice and soft, add 1/2 a cup of flour and cook this for a few minutes. It might look goofy, but you've made a roux that will thicken this soup. Turn this off until the potatoes are ready.

Once both parts are ready, turn off the potatoes and turn on the roux with the onions. Spoon a few ladles of water from the potatoes into the roux, stirring to make it smooth, then pour in everything from the potato pot (potatoes and the water) into the roux in the soup pot. Bring to a boil. Now you can see how thick the soup is and can add enough milk to make it the consistency you want it. It will thicken up from this point as the soup continues to cook and the potatoes cook down. Be careful never to bring the soup to a boil again as the milk will separate and make it look funny, although it will not effect the taste at all. Also, be careful not to burn it, as it does so easily. So only simmer from this point.

Lastly, I add a big pinch of dried parsley, lots of black pepper, maybe some chicken base (bullion) if I have it, and salt to taste. This soup is even better the next day.

Hope you like it!

Jayne

I make potato soup pretty often pretty much the same way. The base is a basic white sauce.

I use salt, pepper, cilantro, sometimes white pepper. You can add chicken, or crumbled crisp bacon. I always add 1/2 cup diced green chili. A little cheese on top is also an option. Chives sprinkled on top is attractive.

I like the idea of using leeks! And I might start calling my white sauce a roux--that sounds so gourmet!

I once had the best potato soup. When I asked what the secret ingredient was.....I was told they pre- bake the potatoes in the oven whole wrapped in foil. Cool, peel cut/cube then add to your hot soup base that always has some real cream, milk in it, sauted onions, seasonings, butter and a tad of garlic.

By baking the potatoes you get perfect non mushy potatoes in your soup and extra good flavor.

Easy Peasy Potato Soup with egg dumplings....

Chicken Broth

small onion-chopped fine

diced potatoes

chopped ham or 4 slices of bacon chopped

optional=can of corn

Put everything in a soup pot and bring to boil then simmer till potatoes are almost done...

Mix one egg with flour to thick consistency....I use wondra flour -- you can add a pinch of baking powder if

you want fluffy dumplings....

Drop egg mixture into simmering broth with a fork or spoon.......simmer another two or three minutes...cover and turn off burner on stove....depending on the type of cook top you have this soup will stay warm for a very long time.......so soup is ready to eat when you are.............. This is a thick hearty filling comfort food! I usually add a can of corn drained

for color and to please my grandson -- carrots will work for added color too....they must be chopped fine -- carrots and/or corn is optional. NOT low cal......

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great. We are needing different ideas of things to do with potatoes as Pete came home the other day with a 50 pound bag!! Well, it was so much cheaper than the small ones. Yeah, great, if you can eat the darn things before they go bad!!! Only 3 people, and 50 pounds of potatoes!!!

Potatoes keep well if put into a cool, dark place
default_laugh.png

If you use baked potatoes for the soup, save the skin from which you scooped the potatoe solids, as there will be some left on the skin. Then, cut the skin into chunks, add some grated cheese and crumpled, cooked bacon (can add some onions, parley, etc. to taste).....broil for a couple minutes and you have a great tasting snak or meal. I like to bake my spuds without foil but, I rub the skins lightly with soft butter before putting into oven. The result is a crispy, tasty skin -- which I eat with the baked spud but, if making soup, etc., the skins are cycled as above.

I love potato soup! Also, corn chowder is great and useful for leftovers. Hate to waste!

Yum, these sound great!
default_aktion033.gif
My aunt gave us a fast easy recipe for a really good cold-weather soup a couple of years ago. One can of Campbell's Cream of Potato soup, one can of creamed corn, mix and heat and add crumbled bacon or other toppings to taste. Yum!! So easy even a college student can do it.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

Leia

Thanks, I will be writing this up and trying it out ASAP....
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back