Anyone have any experience with COPD in horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendy4mini

Reaction score
We took the old rescue mare to the vet on Monday to have ultrasounded for a pregnancy check. I was very concerned because when she eats, her belly area and flanks looks like sporadic contractions. The vet took one look at her and said that it was COPD and he would not recommend sedating her for the pregnancy check due to her trouble breathing. Does anyone have any experience with COPD? I am doing some research on the internet and am growing in concerning if she is in fact pregnant. The poor mare is about 30 years and has never been taken care. She is so very sweet. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Our first mini has COPD so we retired him to a friend's place where he can live outdoors most of the time. He has a run in if he wishes, but he is out most of the time. That is all he has needed to stay comfortable.

The best thing you can do for this mare is wet her hay and possibly her grain to keep dust down, and let her out as much as possible. Then, no more babies. I wouldn't do any barn cleaning or bedding down with her inside, use bedding that is as dust free as possible.

COPD is like asthma or emphysema, the lungs can't exhale the air they take in and the victim has to work extra hard to breathe out. Did the vet offer meds for her or have other suggestions as to how to manage her problem, or make any comments as to the extent of her problem? keeping them cool in hot weather, keeping dust away as much as possible, even to the extent of soaking pelleted feeds for them instead of feeding hay, will all help. There are different drugs available that will give a bit of relief in some cases.

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Wendy,[/SIZE]

We have a 16 year old mare with COPD! You can help her with some meds like Ventipulman and Asium! Give me a call 423-418-4120 and I'll tell you what we do for Kopy Kat!
yes.gif

Bill

We had an APHA gelding with the condition and WWMinis uses the same meds we used for him....and keeping him outdoors, never in an environment where fungus/mold grows (forests). Another thing to help is to soak their hay before serving.

Bill, Azium is Dexamethasone and will cause her to abort. I agree it's the easiet and cheapest drug, but Ventipulmin (a bronchodilater) is safer right now. I agree with the "no dust" approach--soak the hay (Timothy seems to be best), soaked beet pulp, Equine Senior, etc.

I don't usually sedate mares to ultrasound them--is she fighting restraint?

The Ventipulmin people said that it is a smooth(?) muscle relaxer), so it shouldn't be used in a mare near term as it can delay labor.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT! I AM FEELING A LITTLE BETTER THAT THIS MIGHT BE A MANAGABLE CONDITION. THE REASON FOR THE SEDATIVE IS THAT THIS OLD MARE AND THE REST OF THE HERD THAT WE RESCUED HAD NEVER BEEN TOUCHED, WORMED, NOTHING. IT SO SAD BECUASE SHE WANTS TO FRIENDS BUT IS SO SCARED. I CAN PET HER ON HER NECK AND SHOULDER BUT THAT'S IT. I DON'T WANT TO UPSET HER BECAUSE HER BREATHING GETS WORSE WHEN SHE GETS UPSET.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. YA'LL ARE THE BEST!!!
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back