Anyone have a pic of a foundered horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
I have heard of it alot but havent seen it, so if anyone has a picture of your horses hooves when or after foundering could you please post.

Thanks

Missy
default_smile.png

If a good farrier is involved there's not much you'll see in a picture except a deep wavy line around the hoof wall. Somtimes several lines if there have been several bouts of laminitis.

If there's no farrier involved they may look like Aladdin slippers.

From the bottom of the hoof, if there's rotation involved, you'll see a wedge of scar tissue usually just at the toe area.

Are you trying to tell if a horse of yours has founder or had laminitis ?

I adopted a rescue mare this spring that had been foundered. I did get pics of her feet but you might also notice a thick floppy mane/neck (cresty) along with the feet. My mares feet were in need of a trim but you can see how turned up they were from foundering.

Before

forum-4.jpg

After a trim

forum-3.jpg

Edit to add : When you hold the hoof in your hand, the hoof kind of wraps itself around your palm. It is easiler to cradle in your hand. Hard to explain but there is a difference, you can tell when holding a normal hoof.

Last edited by a moderator:
MY mini Giddy has a line on his back hoof on the front. He acts fine and it made me wonder??

MY mini Giddy has a line on his back hoof on the front. He acts fine and it made me wonder??
There are many things that can cause a line in the hoof... Stress is the big one; whether its stress from founder, a major weather change, serious illness (other than founder), or whatever might seriously stress your horse. Changes in feed can cause a ring to occur. Injury to the coronary band can cause a line to show in the hoof. Laminitis/founder also can cause the ring. I'm sure there are other things, but these are things I know of.

A couple years ago, my FILs young saddle horse got seriously ill, they thought they were going to lose him, but he managed to pull through. Shortly after, stress rings showed up in his hooves.

Well we havent changed anything. Giddy is the sweetest , calmest mini ever. He has been having the exact same amount of food and time out each day, so i dont know what could stress him?

I guess I will keep watching him and see ...

There's difference in the line. Most horse will have lines in the hoof wall. Change in feed, change in the weather ( more/less rain ) all sorts of things cause them. Founder lines are deep and very wavy, not even close to a straight line around the hoof wall.

The horse in the picture really doesn't look bad at all for a foundered horse.

I'll try and find you a picture of a really foundered horse.

Now is your line a crack or just a line in the hoof wall ?

Here's a good one. This is a mini that I've trimmed one hoof on to show the difference.

See how deep the lines are ? On the trimmed hoof that semi circle at the toe is scar tissue where the coffin bone is rotated away from the hoof wall.

founder.jpg

Great pics. to show and decribe. Thanks for the info

You definitely had something happen.

It kind of looks like a blow out but way too big.

Does not look like a founder line to me and it appears to be growing out just fine.

I sometimes see foals feet that look like this when they're growing out the baby hoof.

The other possibility could be damage to the periople area about 2 - 3 months ago.

Have you ever noticed the part of the hoof right at the coronery back looking white ?

The periople will look that way sometimes when we have a lot of rain and it is easier to damage at that time.

Do you see any thrush in the white line area at the toe ? You'll see separation right behind the hoof wall that has dirt packed in it. Check for that and it you do have separation treat with a good thrush remedy.

Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me.

You definitely had something happen.

It kind of looks like a blow out but way too big.

Does not look like a founder line to me and it appears to be growing out just fine.

I sometimes see foals feet that look like this when they're growing out the baby hoof.

The other possibility could be damage to the periople area about 2 - 3 months ago.

Have you ever noticed the part of the hoof right at the coronery back looking white ?

The periople will look that way sometimes when we have a lot of rain and it is easier to damage at that time.

Do you see any thrush in the white line area at the toe ? You'll see separation right behind the hoof wall that has dirt packed in it. Check for that and it you do have separation treat with a good thrush remedy.

Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me.
Giddy will be 2 in July... We have had alot of rain here .

I will have to look tomorrow for thrush or white. He is bedded down for the night...

Thanks for your help...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back