Anyone have a greyhound?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKC

Reaction score
I've liked greyhounds for years. I hope to adopt one someday when my kids are older. I got to meet one of my friends adopted greyhounds this weekend. He was such a character, very sweet and very tall.

Would love to see pictures as well.

Kim

These aren't mine, and they are mixes-- Greyhound and Catahoula Leopard Dog, but I think they are SO pretty and unusual looking!

hogan.jpg

hunter1.jpg

You can find these lovely dogs and more catahoulas in need of fosters and adopted homes here:

Catahoula Rescue Site, Monday's Dogs

I adopted a Catahoula just a few months ago and she is an awesome, very smart dog!
default_wub.png

Edited to add that these two boys pictured are in Kansas City, Kansas, but the rescue can usually help with transport!

Last edited by a moderator:
A few friends of mine have one. The SWEETEST dogs. You need to make sure that you have a nice fenced in yard as they are sight hounds. We see quite a bit of grey hound adoption because of the greyhound tracks there are down here in Florida. Beautiful, beautiful dogs and the ones I have known make great house dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago(almost 20 years ago) my ex-aunt's grandfather used to race them in FL. That's where I first saw them. We went to a track in FL. I remember seeing them racing there. He would send up the retired greyhounds to the VA area to be adopted out. Her mother adopted one, but didn't keep him in a fenced yard. He ran out of the house and took off after a car. I don't know remember if they ever found him.

Right now we aren't able to adopt one. We have almost 6 acres, but it's partially three board fenced. I would want a smaller fenced in area that was solid. I also, have small children. I would like them to be older before I take on any more responsibilites.

We have a local greyhound rescue that takes the dogs to different Petco's,etc. The friend that I saw this weekend.... she and her husband adopted their dog last year from a different rescue(which is no longer open). He's their second adopted greyhound. The first was from Florida. She mentioned she was unable to get another dog from the same rescue organization in FL. I don't know if that's a state issue or if it's just the rescue's rules. No out of state greyhound rescues.

The other greyhound that I fell in love with belonged to some friends who have a miniature farm and boarding kennel. Someone left this dog at the kennel. They never came back for her. My friends ended up keeping her. She was such a sweetheart. A big, beautiful brindle female. She loved to do the typical.. run and play.. then come in and ball up and sleep. Everytime I would go she would just stand there wanting you to pet her.

All three of the greyhounds I've been fortunate enough to be around have been very sweet.

Magic- Those dogs are very pretty and you are right their color is very unusual.

Kim

We don't personally have one, but we have a very good friend (and another miniature horse owner/breeder) here in Oregon who very active as a Foster Home for a Greyhound Rescue. She always has between one to three of them at her home when ever we visit.

It always amazes me that such big dogs can be so gentle and mellow......

Greyhounds are wonderful dogs, but as others have said a well fenced yard is a must. Another thing to be careful of is anesthesia - they are VERY sensitive and I believe you also need to be careful of some Dewormers - talk to your vet and make sure that they are "up to speed" when it comes to these wonderful dogs -- I would imagine the Greyhound Rescue you are working with can give you some wonderful, safe, veterinary references.

Back