Anyone going to the National Drive in Kentucky?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura Leopard

Reaction score
It's coming up on October 7-12. We're going up for the weekend. It will be great fun.

Laura

The National drive is at the Kentucky Horse Park. It is a great big gathering of driving people. Kind of like a convention except it's low key and full of fun.

Laura

Wow, I can't believe it is that time already! It cannot possibly have been a year already since the last drive! I hope I will be there, I had a blast last year!

I will be going from Wednesday through Sunday. I went last year for only the weekend, and it just wasn't enough time for everything! The vendors have evrything you could possibly dream of: carts, harnesses, grooming equipment, clothing, stall accessories, etc, etc. I spent hours driving through the fields and lanes with several friends. We played in the water hazard for almost an hour. There are opportunities for private lessons from some big name clinicians, as well as demonstrations, and even a driver proficiency test through the CAA. Plus a parade through the park, a trace pace, and even a Mimosa drive! You also get admission to all of the KHP attractions and museums. It really is one of my favorite things to do. And the fees are really quite reasonable. Here's the website: http://www.nationaldrive.net/nationaldrive/index.html

I hope to see lots of forum members there!

I am but not bringing my mini. I'm going with a friend who has a biggie. I cant wait to go shopping! Anyone else from Florida going? Kathy

I'll have to put it on the calander... I missed every mini class this year! Shelbyville, Louisville, etc... had them all planned to attend, then forgot and got distracted!

I am pretty new to driving and self taught. I am not sure that I am ready to take a horse to the Drive but would love the opportunity for learning. Are there many that attend without bringing a horse? Do you need to have the horse to attend the clinics?

Thanks,

Kathy

I've always wanted to go, and now reading about the mimosa drive (I assume that refers to the drink and not the tree...) I REALLY wish I could.

I just told Leia the other night to forget the whip holder -- my cart needs a cup holder for my coffee -- and it could double as an "adult beverage" holder!

Yes... you can come without a horse. There are clinics to attend and shopping to do. I'm sure someone there will have room in their wagon if you want to ride around. That is the primary focus of the event. Driving your horse for pleasure.

Laura

For those who are going, don't forget to wear some sort of button or badge denoting you as an LB member! It's always such a pain to realize later you met someone but never realized it or said hello.
default_wacko.png

KathyB said:
I am pretty new to driving and self taught. I am not sure that I am ready to take a horse to the Drive but would love the opportunity for learning. Are there many that attend without bringing a horse? Do you need to have the horse to attend the clinics?
Thanks,

Kathy
The clinics are basically seminars so you get to perch on the arena railing (okay, or a chair) and watch an experienced trainer explain some aspect or other of driving using a demo horse. I found them very valuable last year! I flew in from the opposite side of the country so sadly was horse-less but found plenty to do. The big horse people are always looking for a spare body to throw in their carts as ballast so it's easy to catch a ride.
default_wink.png
You can even take individual lessons without bringing your own horse; the trainers seem to have spares you can use.
default_new_shocked.gif
It's well worth going, horse or no horse.

Susanne said:
I just told Leia the other night to forget the whip holder -- my cart needs a cup holder for my coffee -- and it could double as an "adult beverage" holder!
Now Susanne...you know better than to drink and drive!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_nono.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Leia

How would a broke but somewhat green horse do(stallion)? He has been on 1 trail ride, 1 show, and driven around home. thanks, would love to go. Saw everyone talking about it last year and would love to attend. dionne

Now that I'm in Kentucky i was looking at the KHP page and saw that listed and really think i'm going to try to go. If anyone is coming without a horse and would like to drive in it, i can bring some of mine along. I have one that is excellent for ANYONE and then i have a couple that would be ok for Intermediate to advanced. I also have a big mare who drives but no cart for her... anyhow let me know maybe i can arrange some horses for people!

Hey nathan we will have to hook up to go for a ride when thins cool down...man it's been hot the last few weeks!! Did Dans horse arrive ok?

hillary

I'm going, horseless...although I have a good friend who has offered to drive me around. Really looking forward to it!

What do you suggest we 'wear' to make us obvious as Lil Beginnings folks?

Yup! I ended up driving to NH to pick him up, we got so fustrated with shippers. They cancelled last minute THREE TIMES. It was a good drive! 2200 miles in three days :p

Boinky said:
Now that I'm in Kentucky i was looking at the KHP page and saw that listed and really think i'm going to try to go. If anyone is coming without a horse and would like to drive in it, i can bring some of mine along. I have one that is excellent for ANYONE and then i have a couple that would be ok for Intermediate to advanced. I also have a big mare who drives but no cart for her... anyhow let me know maybe i can arrange some horses for people!
Dang, really?! Boinky, I would love you forever!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm used to a pretty sensitive, strong-minded, independent horse so if you've got one that takes some finesse I'd volunteer to drive it as long as he/she has a brain attached. Crazy, I don't do!
default_new_shocked.gif
Heck, can I take a shot at the tandem?
default_biggrin.png

evedex said:
I'm going, horseless...although I have a good friend who has offered to drive me around.
Okay, that's it- I'm going. It isn't smart financially but as someone unlikely to ever make Nationals there's no way I'm missing meeting all of you guys in one place when I have the chance!

What do you suggest we 'wear' to make us obvious as Lil Beginnings folks?
Well, there's always the official LB button but since I didn't have one last year I went to the local craft store and bought one of those 3.5" jumbo memory buttons and made my own. I used different colored markers to show all the groups I was in in big print (LB, COTH, minihorsedriving on Yahoo, CDE4VSE) and then made a smaller button with all my aliases (hobbyhorse23, Spyderwind, Kody's Mom, Leia). I think this year I'll put the buttons on my hat instead of my shirt but otherwise it seemed to work well.

I also made a list before I left of who was going to be there, what they were driving and where to find them and checked people off as I met them. By the end of the Drive I had enough contacts to find the others by word of mouth!
default_biggrin.png
If you're looking for me I'm always easy to spot...I'll be the vivacious "teenager" with a wavy ponytail down to her rump who's talking too fast about driving.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Do they have venders that sell mini stuff? Not that I really need anything but if I gotta leave my mini at home I should bring her back something
default_rolleyes.gif
! Kathy

Leia,

yep actually all of my horses are very sane and probably most of them could be driven by a beginner but they are more "green" and easily"broken" than my beginner horse. someone does something wrong they are more suseptable to bein messed up... (know what i mean?) and i just hate to put them in that possition..then i'd be mad at myself forever because I allowed them to be screwed up. Most of them an intermediate person would probably not hurt them at all.

As for tandem you can try.. i honestly haven't driven them tandem for over a year but I doubt it would be a problem..LOL. I could certainly give it a whorl and see how they do after i get back from nationals (heck maybe i'll take them in the fine harness pairs or more this year. at nationals...LOL).

I live about 45 minutes from the park i think so it's a hop skip and jump up there.

Latest posts

Back