Anyone famous in your family tree?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinkky

Reaction score
I have 2!

I am related to Mark Twain on my grandfathers side and I am related to Pat Garrett on my grandmothers side.

What about you?

I think we'd rather be connected to Mark Twain
default_wink.png
but my mother's side were the original Pirates of the Caribbean. More like infamous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Diana was a 22nd cousin of mine, on my dad's side. My brother on the other hand is cousins with Barry Manilow, although I can't quite remember how closely.

Only one I know about is Lucy Maude Montgomery (author of Anne of Green Gables amongst others) She was my fathers great (or great great can't remember) aunt.
default_smile.png

My husband is related to Robert Wadlow, the tallest man in history... not really famous, but that's all I've got.
default_smile.png

My late husband's family were related to George Washington. Not me, I got the infamous. I am about a 5th cousin of Jesse and Frank James!

Guess I'm considered an "old blue blood" in American history?
default_unsure.png

My mother's side:

1. Robert (Bobby) Burns, the Scottish poet, best known for "Auld Lang Syne", the New Years Eve song.

2. Robert Morris, a signor of the Declaration of Independence. He never had children. However my mother is descended from his one nephew.

3. Walter Irving, listed as an "automotive pioneer" for Oregon......He and a partner were the first to bring "horseless carriages" into the state.

My father's side:

1. Miles Standish.......Yep........My dad's niece (my cousin) went through the effort of having a family tree done with the help of the Mormons (who are known to keep amazing records.).........and a few years before my dad passed she sent him a copy.

Because of that copy of the family tree, I discovered that a dear close girl friend of mine and I are VERY distant relatives! LOL! Curiously, she and I look very much alike!!!!!!!

Faye and I ended up in business together (an antique mall) and it became a good joke when people would come into the shop and mistake me for her....... or the other way around........ And then, a few years later we both took a "girls vacation" together to Las Vegas. There were several occasions where folks asked if we were sisters.
default_biggrin.png

2. The Pratt Family in the Philomath/Corvallis, Oregon area........one of the first pioneer settlers there. There is a Mary's Peak and a Mary's River in that area named for my great grandmother.

History is cool..........It teaches. Hopefully it teaches us what NOT to REPEAT! But also teaches us things to appreciate.

My great aunt was Emmeline Pankhurst. She was my dad's aunt.

My dad, Cecil Pankhurst, was in the Tractorcade that went to Washington DC in 1979. He was also jailed in Hidalgo, Texas in 1978 for fighting for farmers' rights. You can read about the American Agriculture Movement beginnings in the book called "Gentle Rebels".

Through my mother's side of the family, we are related to Zane Grey who is a famous author of many westerns.
default_smile.png

On my fathers side I am related to Martin Van Buren, the 8th President

Of the U.S.

I'm not real sure of the number of generations removed, but my Great (11 greats back I think) Grandfather was Peregrene White, son of Susanna and William White, and was the first white child born after the landing of the Mayflower. Have thought of looking into membership in the Society of Mayflower Descendents, but since society is rather boring and I can't see much importance of it, have just let it slide (besides, thats a club that doesn't have anything to do with horses, so how great can it be )
default_wink.png

I'm not real sure of the number of generations removed, but my Great (11 greats back I think) Grandfather was Peregrene White, son of Susanna and William White, and was the first white child born after the landing of the Mayflower. Have thought of looking into membership in the Society of Mayflower Descendents, but since society is rather boring and I can't see much importance of it, have just let it slide (besides, thats a club that doesn't have anything to do with horses, so how great can it be )
default_wink.png
That is too funny, my mothers family were also on the Mayflower when it came over. Myolder sister did joing the Society of Mayflower Descendants and the Daughters of Revelution (not sure if I have that one right) but it all has to do with your descendants coming over on the Mayflower. I am also distantly related to Winston Churchill and somehow I think on my fathers side I am related to the Baxter family (Baxter State Park in Maine). My sister did an extensive family tree a few years back. I really havent taken the time to go over it but I guess I should it could be fun!

Julie Flanigan

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

My great grandmother was Robert E Lee's cousin. She was a Lee too.

We all have "E" as a middle initial and that's where the E in REO comes from!

Yes, on my mother's side we were related to Samuel Johnson, who was the Doctor on board the Mayflower. My sister checked into the Mayflower Society and there are scholarships available to decendants of the Mayflower. I love the research stuff....

Wow, it looks like we can start a new off-shoot for Lil Beginnings called "Society of Mayflower Descendants that have small horses
default_laugh.png

Wish I could add mine, but don't know anything.

I was adopted so don't know anything about my family. not even if I'm irish or not?? don't know that either.

bummer!!!

I am a direct decendent of Captain James Peebles of the Royal Scottish Army in the reign of King Henry Vll of Scotland and direct decedent of Aquilla Wiley of the founding people of Wiley County Tennesee back in 1759.

Not sure if they are famous or not but was really cool doing the family history!

Mom's side....... The French part, started coming over in 1599 to Acadia...now called Nova Scotia.
default_laugh.png

Great Grandfather was a Native American Baseball player

The Acadian french side goes back to 1st Baron MIUS d'ENTREMONT of Poboncoup, first Baron of Acadia.

Dad's side.... much of the family came over to NC before NC was NC.... it was totally uncharted territory.

Dad's direct line come from the brother of James Wilson who signed the Declaration of Independence.

Last hanging of a horse thief in NC was done by my GG Grandfather..... lots of Sheriff's in that line.

There are a few more interesting characters in my family but that is just what I can remember off the top of my head.

This is so COOL!!!

My grandmother and my mother were members of the Daughters of the American Revolution too...... I didn't know about there being Scholarships for Mayflower Descendants! Will definitely look into that. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back