Anyone ever use Neosporin????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLC Stables

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Neosporin on a cut or something on a horse????

I sure have..I keep it in the barn for just such things and instead of the "brand name" I use the walmart equate version..works GOOD!!
default_yes.gif
:

I sure have..I keep it in the barn for just such things and instead of the "brand name" I use the walmart equate version..works GOOD!!
Ditto!!

I always have a tube in my kit out at the barn..

If the tube in the house goes missing, there's only one other place to look lol

I've used it on horses and dogs, too...

No problems, but my [human] doctor informed me that there is no scientific evidence of it actually doing anything. I still use it though, LOL...

default_yes.gif
:
same here. LOL. I have to save my pennies if I am ever going to get that harness I want, so saving a quarter on that triple antibiotic ointment is very important.

I actually keep a tube in each of my coats. One in my good coat in case I need it, one in my grubby coat in case I or the dogs need it, one in my barn coat in case the ponies need it. I mostly just use it on my hands when the skin around my fingernails gets cracked and dry though. I haven't needed to slap some on a critter in ages.

Just be sure NOT to use it for eye injuries. I figure you, Rob, will know this but for the benefit of others reading. Don't use it on the eyes as it can cause scaring. In my medicine kit for the horses, I have antibiotic ointment made for the eyes.

Additionally (again, for others as I think Rob knows), don't use it on deep cuts on a horse. That can cause an abscess which horses are prone to anyway. On a deep injury, you want it to heal from the inside out and if you use Neosporin, it will heal from the outside in, leaving now way for drainage which causes abscess.

Yes I have, but didnt really seem to work that well.

The best stuff I have used on a cut is something we actually had for a different animal. It would of worked well as it reduces proud flesh and stuff, but of coarse my boy had a reaction to it.

Actually no and it's not for puncture wounds, deep cuts etc. only minor abrasions on humans..not really effective other than the moistness which can be achieved with plain petroleum jelly. My Dr. (not vet) said throw it away. In cuts it will cause redness, itching and swelling and sometimes infection.

For horses I sometimes use a powdered sulfer but I ALWAYS have on hand a jar of ISP ointment it is wonderful.

I use Furazone rather than Neosporin but am always looking for things to add to the first aid cabinet. I'll keep it in mind. I also have an ointment specific for eyes.

I do and it works great...heals very fast! I've always used it for us and it works just as well for the animals. Also, I've found that vitamin e oil is very good. If you have a bad/deep cut where the hair won't grow back, put the vit e oil on after it's healed from the neosporin....it will make the hair grow back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used it on a horse but used it plenty on myself

BUT, I 2nd the tub of ISP .... that stuff is amazing !!!!

We've used Neosporin (or store brand) and Betadine ointment too and have used other ointments as well. The biggest issue is getting the wound clean before applying any ointment.

I use sterile saline solution then nolvason solution before applying any ointment to a wound.

Eye cream is a must here too - our horses seem to find every sharp blade of grass, branch, etc. in their pasture (40+acres) and we've dealt with minor injuries up to eye removals.

Latest posts

Back