Anyone ever use a refractometer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I am wondering what range the milk needs to be in to determine that foaling is imminent. I tested one of my mare's tonight and her milk is at 24 which is in the 'Good' range. Do they always go 30+ (Very Good) before foaling or not?
default_wacko.png

Becky.

I guess I wasn't aware the reading was acurate before foaling?? When you look in the Refractometer the level should be over 40 to 50 (depends on the scale that particular unit shows to). Best is when it's all one solid color. This is my first year messing with one. Just in case you don't know.....Make sure you zero it out with distilled water in whatever temperature you're going to test the milk so the unit is the same temp as the air temp in which you are testing it.

I know that was as clear as mud LOL!

Joy

Hello...

My friend has a colostrum refractometer, which we were using to test the milk to see if there was a correlation between the level of colostrum and then when the mare foaled.

This tool is SUPPOSED to be for testing the milk to see what quality of colostrum the foal is receiving. Right after the mare foals, but before the foal nurses, you are supposed to test.

Well the mare last month that we tested, tested VERY GOOD (27) and foaled THREE DAYS later. Unfortunately, she was also dripping milk. We watched the level of colostrum then drop over the few days down to 13. The iGg test on the foal is very low.

I don't think that it is an accurate tool for predicting a foal, but it can be an additional element you can use to see how close they are.

Andrea

I actually purchased the refractometer last year as I have read that others use it to test colostrum quality before a mare foals which also helps to determine when the mare will foal. I just now decided to use it to test this mare who has had thick, sticky colostrum for over a week now but not much udder. She is on double dose Regumate (6cc daily) to help maintain pregnancy.

The range on this refractometer goes up to 30 so I am trying to figure out if colostrum right before a mare foals is normally in the 30+ range or if she can foal when it is lower.

[SIZE=12pt]Please let us know what you discover
default_yes.gif
It's really great to have all the information you can get
default_biggrin.png
[/SIZE]

I never thought to try it that way. Facinating
default_yes.gif

Joy

I use the colostrum refractometer (scale goes to 30). What I have found (and others have told me), is that what you really look for is a big jump up and the foal usually comes between 12-24 hours later. Some mares you miss the jump, and some register at the top of the scale for days, but when I have had the "jump" I've had foals from within a few hours to one that was 25 hours from when I first tested. It obviously is just another backup check for foaling, unfortunately nothing is going to accurately predict foaling other than the mare laying flat and pushing!!! ROFL!

I tested again this morning and the colostrum went from 24 on the scale last night to 28 this morning. She's now close to the top. I'll test her again at noon and later this afternoon and see if she goes higher. I think we're getting pretty close.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back