anyone ever just ride in the trailer to see

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
Ok...I feel really stupid for posting this and my friends all thought I was nuts. One friend said I should be a sales person for a horse trailer line. ahahahha

With going to the shows and just transporting my horses I thought, I wonder what it must feel like for them in there. Is it too hot?? is it too Windy?? so one day, my husband and I went to deliver a foal to his new home. It was extremely hot that day and I wanted to know what my baby must feel like in that trailer. I wanted to make sure it wasn't too hot for him and I also wanted to make sure he was not too nervous or sad. So I rode in the trailer with him. Its a two horse/stock trailer with open vents in the front and the sides are open on top...So there was plenty of air circulating. I have to wonder how many other crazy horsie moms have done this.

Just so everyone knows, in case you haven't tried it....it was fine...the air circulated just perfectly and I never even started to sweat it was 96 degrees with lots of humidity. It wasn't really bumpy or anything. I actually called my friends and my mom from the back of the trailer to give updates. hahahahahaha
yes.gif

Yes, I have! Only I didn't ride in it just to find out I had to ride with a yearling stallion that was trying to jump our deviders and everytime we tied him up he tried to get tangled. Soooo, the only option ----ride with him. He did great! And so did I. It can be really dangerous and I would NOT advise it. After being locked in the trailer I got to thinking what if we wrecked. There is no way for my rear end to fit out of those little windows and you are basically locked in from the outside. (Ours is a closed trailer with windows and lots of vents) SO DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! I have not ridden in it again.

YEs I have been called a dummy for doing the same thing. I wanted to know if we were driving smooth enought to keep from tossing them around. And we were doing good by the way. LOL Maryann

It is probably illegal and not very safe...but yes...I have done it. If it comes to the point of me being safe in the rare chance of an accident and the possibility of a sick horse or upset horse needing me--I am one of the idiots that would worry about my horse first. I know the whole thing about "people are more important" and all...but my babies are my world and so it will remain.

Mary--I can SO see you doing that!!! hehehe

-Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden a couple times in emergencies taking horses to New Bolten. It really makes me drive better when I am pulling a trailer, now that I know what the horses feel like back there!

Virtually everybody I know has ridden in a horse trailer at some time or another. I have a neighbor who regardless of what the law says hauls his kids (both kids are well into their teens) in their 26 foot trailer on a regular basis. Now I have seen what the inside of a trailer looks like after a day on the road and I for one would not look on that as a pleasant place to travel. The safety aspects alone make it a foolish move. I would ride a few miles with a frightened foal but after that I draw the line. Seatbelts and air bags have better safety records than camper and horse trailers for human occupants.

My daughter did when we were rushing Gabby to the hospital in Georgia. It was a three hour ride, but she was so close to having her baby we didn't want her to go into labor and us not know it. I wasn't sure if it was possible, but she was very sick and we just didn't know. A TRAILER CAM WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE!

Shannon said that the bumps weren't as bad as the starting and stopping and the NOISE. It's made us much more aware of how we drive when there's a horse in the trailer.

rolleyes.gif

Working for different farms in the past I have ridden many times in a trailer and

I don't like it! I have had to ride with either sick or very young horses and it does

give you a greater appreciation of how the horse feels! I have also ridden in the

trailer with some absolutely HORRIBLE drivers that really should be made to ride

in the trailer and have someone drive the way they do! It isn't safe and I don't

reccomend doing it. This was also before trailer cams came out. Linda B
wub.gif

I have for emergencies much like others have stated, but I also know of some that are taught how to drive a rig with a horse trailer by putting the person learning in the trailer and going around the block. Teaches those kids what it is like to have to stand with nothing to hang onto. The dividers were removed for this exercsize and one direction it was very quick starts and stops and fast turns, the way home was nice and slow starts, stops, and turns. One really understands what it is like to be a horse once one has ridden in the trailer.

Yep... it is also illegal in most states to have a person riding in a trailer of any kind.

No, I have not. The night that Khaki had colic so bad and we took her for surgery, I thought about it but Priscilla didn't think I should, and she was probably right. Khaki got sedated before we left by the vet but when we got to to the hospital and opened the trailer, she basically rolled out. She'd been her back, legs in the air... it was one of the worst nights of my life
no.gif

Yes I have, in every trailer we havee had and also in the bus I wanted to know exacttly what the animals would have to put up with and found it very helpful and actually had my husband change a few things.

I did not then or now feel foolish for caring about what my horses were going to encounter!

Bonnie
yes.gif

I read what everyone said, and I totally agree its not the safest thing to do. but I just had to know what it was like for my horses. Also, my baby needed me. he was scared and I wanted to be there for him just in case. It wasn't a long ride but I didn't want him to freak out. I am glad there are other mini moms and dads crazy enough to do the samething for their babies if they needed to

Yes, I've ridden with our horses several times in several different trailers we've owned. It's not legal, but I still think every horse owner should experience it.

One thing that it did for me was after the first experience, I was even more careful about hitting the brakes or going around curves and turns! I also discovered why a horse tends to prefer NOT to ride HEAD first in a trailer!
ohmy.gif

MA

Only for short distances, to check out what the trailer rides like when we're buying a new trailer. I want to know how smooth it is, how noisy, how dusty. I can tell you which makes of trailer I would NOT buy (I cannot for the life of me see why so many people haul those trailers that rattle & clang everywhere except the roof....which BOOMS.) I was appalled when I "tried out" a friend's trailer, and learned how the roof would flex & then straighten with a BOOM!

I have - not really by choice, but by necessity. I had to ride with Dawn when I brought her home from Surgi-Care - about 35 miles. Not really comfy, but not real bad either. I made the ride several times as I had to support her when we were going up and back. Sure was glad when she was able to ride by herself. Trust me when I say I am really careful how I drive. I can appreciate the bumps and turns.

Barbie

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Does 7 1/2 hours on the way up to a horse show then 15 hours the whole way back count?
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I got my first horse trailer, a small 2 horse, back in 1977.

My friend has taken a HorseMasters course in England a few years before and

she taught me how to trailer the correct way, according to the teachers of her

course........They did that by putting the students in the back of the trailer and hauling them around......and that's what she did with me.

I went for a ride in the trailer without the horses, however. She told me to balance myself as well as possible and she drove, safely, up hills, down hills, to stop lights and signs and lots of corner turning.........

I came away with a great respect for what I could potentially put a horse thru if

I didn't use caution........it was an eye opener for sure........

Yep sure have in fact as a groom it was my responsibility to ride with the horses both in the trailer and airplanes Of course they went in the big air rides with box stalls and traveled first class and yes other grooms were in there with "there" horses as well-= once we got to the show they were under our watch at all times.

In fact lots of good memories with that
smile.gif

I do find it silly though that in many states you cant ride in a trailer but you can ride in the open bed of a pick up truck
rolleyes.gif
wacko.gif

i did last year for my show, the trailor had no roof & midnight tryed rearing over it!
ohmy.gif
after midnight tryed 2 times, i got in with him & he was good as gold
rolleyes.gif
it was good... a little windy!
yes.gif
laugh.gif

Yes, a couple of times in emergencies on the way to the vets, and several times just "around the block" or so to see how a trailer felt. And I agree, it sure makes you think twice about taking those corners too fast or hitting the brakes. The Sundowner I have now is a nice ride, but one of my past trailers got traded off after a ride in the back.
wacko.gif

Jan

Latest posts

Back