Anyone ever have problems with MTG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLC Stables

Reaction score
So get this.............where I put the MTG (right around the base of the mane) THE HAIR FELL OUT............

It was crazy, so my horse has these bald spots on each side of his mane on his neck...............not a good thing. Now trying to decide what to put on the bald spots to get the hair to grow back. Any suggestions???

Oh, no, Rob, that is awful! No, I haven't had that problem!!!

I would definitely be alarmed about it here you are trying to GROW hair and it's a fast track to baldness.

default_sad.png

I would say to wash the area well and probably just use a light bit of Vitamin E perhaps to help the skin and follicles heal?

Maybe an allergic reaction is my best guess.

Liz

Yeah I am thinking that and the bottle might have been old............so I threw it away.........funny thing is, did it on a second horse too, just caught it quick enough.

I am washing daily and putting on an anti-fungal just in case................going to search some more for a good treatment.

Rob,

Contact the company that makes the MTG and let them know what happened and what they suggest!!!

Robin

i have never had that happen at all! MTG regrows hair so fast. Did you shake the bottle really well??

I agree check with the manufacturer. We have used a couple of bottles through the years with no problems & one was sitting for about three years...... I have heard Preparation H helps hair to grow back quickly on body hair loss.

I know this is a serious subject, and I believe the advice already given is likely good----but-----Preparation H??? What is it supposed to do, just suck those little hairs right up out of the skin?

(Ducking and running, Cathy....!)

Margo

This may seem like a dumb question, but how often did you apply the MTG? The only problem that I have seen with it was a girl years ago that applied several times a day, the hair did fall out on that horse (from skin irritation) but cut it back to once a day and it grew back quick.

I was actually applying every other day.........thanks everyone, and yes I shook the bottle really well, cause it settles.

I read on a different forum about similar problems. I think that some horses just take it differently. I use it and it has worked fine on my mare's mane.

Hi Rob,

Try using Eqyss Mega-tek Cell Rebuilder. It works very well when trying to regrow hair.

Amanda

I ordered a few bottles last year for some rubbed out manes and the warning on the bottle says: to pretest an area for adverse reactions, wipe off any excess that gets on the neck, and to apply only once weekly, that applying more frequently may result in adverse reactions
default_sad.png
and to keep them out of the sun... I know when I ordered mine a paper came with it that said it could cause hair loss and to adhere to the directions for best results. I haven't any any problems, just wonderful results. Perhaps your horse is sensitive to it? Hope you find something to regrow the hair, let us know what works!!

Preparation H??? What is it supposed to do, just suck those little hairs right up out of the

Preparation H ~ aids in reduction of proud flesh and encourages hair growth on wound sites.
- Found this on a big horse site.
Guess it is such a stimulator that it promotes hair growth. Products that claim such probably contain some of the same ingredients. Have read using Preparation H on several big horse sights.

Last edited by a moderator:
:no: :no: :no:

I will tell you, MTG is the worst thing I have ever spent my money on!!!!

It balded my yearling palomino............balded my friends 2 show ponies. Took at least 3 months to ever look right again.

In my opinion................[SIZE=18pt]STAY AWAY FROM SHAPLEYS MTG[/SIZE]

l used it on some of the tops of tails last summer that had some rubout and it worked great but l also put it on a yearlings forelock that was skimpy thinking that would beef it up and in less then a week it was all gone period looked like it got shaved right of when her head was clipped and caused some scabbing where l put it. Turns out she just had a bad reaction to it and it's taken from last Aug. till now and she has maybe about 2 inches of fuzzy forlock sticking out of her winter fuzz up there. l wouldn't use it again at all on her for sure. Other then that l had good results using the stinky stuff on the others.

Wow,, is the best stuff for Maggie's dandruff and have used it on her for 5 years with no problems at all.

So I think like with anything, some animals can be sensitive to different products. Just like people and people products. IE..one can use it no problems...but another can't and has a bad reaction.

Am sorry for your mini Rob.

Best thing is to keep the tail washed and conditioned once a week, with PH balanced products made for horses. Thats what we did in the old days.
default_wink.png
:

Well Rob I don't know what to say on this one. I haven't heard anything but great stuff about the product before this. I have a couple of friends who about swear by it for their Apps. I sure hope you can figure something out to help reverse the process....let us know -k-

Latest posts

Back