Anyone ever go whale watching?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCaseFamily00

Reaction score
We're going on a much needed vacation in a few weeks to Newyork,Vermont and Maine if I can talk everyone in to it,lol. I would love to go whale watching has anyone ever done this? I LOVE being on the water,wildlife is a bonus
wub.gif
. Anyone from Maine?

I live in the beautiful town of Cape Neddick, ME, 2 miles from Ogunquit Beach. This is a wonderful tourist area with goreous beaches, shops and restaurants. As for Whale watching, there are several. In Kennebunk there is the First Chance Whale Watch; in Ogunquit the Deborah Ann Whale Watch; in Portsmouth, NH there is the Isle of Shoales. There are also many more the further you go north along the coast. Best bet is to google it and you will get a whole list. Just make sure you wear plenty of sunscreen. It is usually about a 4 hour adventure and you can get pretty burnt. Also plan to bring a sweatshirt or jacket. It can get colder out on the water.

Sue

I've been whale watching twice, and loved it!!! The first time, off Vancouver Island, we didn't see a single whale but the scenery and the bald eagles flying around the boat like seagulls was worth the price of admission.

The second time was off Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. It was mid-May, just a few days before the season officially started, so the usual boat wasn't ready yet. We ended up going out in a 9-seater Zodiac (like a big rubber raft!) On the way out, we were going "with" the swells and it was fantastic!!!! We did see some whales, and one was breeching!!! It still gives me tingles thinking about what an awesome sight that is! On the way back in, we were going "against" the swells which may have been three feet high, but felt like they were three stories high! We'd climb to the top of a swell, and then drop like a stone on the other side. My daughter was pretty scared, but she was only about 10 at the time.

It was one of the most exciting events of my life and I can't recommend it highly enough! If you get the chance to go, GO!!!! Even if the others don't want to go, GO!!! :)

Not in Maine but we did a sunset trip off of Province Town, Mass. That was very cool. We got to see a momma and calf Right whale which they said was a very rare sight to see. They said the Right's don't usually go up that high and especially that time of year. It was mid to late Oct.

If you definitely decide to come up send me email to [email protected]. I can recommend hotels, restaurants and things to do in the southern Maine area.

Bozley that would be great! I was just talking to my sister in law about it,they'll be going to. I did a little search on the hotels, some were pretty expensive
new_shocked.gif
. I appreciate the offer,i'll know more next week.

I went in BC. The pixs my friend took were amazing!!!...I sadly had my face in a pail the whole time...I'll remember gravel next time!

Whale watching is GREAT!

One summer we were in Newfoundland and went whale watching in a small boat. It was amazing. Sometimes a whale would pop its head out of the water and watch us! I think they called it "spying."

The whales were so curious and lovely. They would swim under the boat. I was afraid they'd come up and tip our boat over, but they didn't.

These creatures were so lovely and seemed intelligent in their own way. Made me sad to think of how big the whaling industry used to be.

I was fortunate enough to go whale watching around the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington. We were amoung a pod of Orcha whales. I had picked up a pamphlet about whale watching in this area and it had pictures of the whales with their individual markings, each named. It was so cool to try to pick out which one was which. Floating out there amoung the whales moved me so much that I found myself crying. Not sure if it was just the peacefulness or what. They are incredible creatures. Dramamine is my best friend!

Thanks everyone,pretty sure we're going
aktion033.gif
. It sounds wonderful
wub.gif
let ya know if we go. Still not sure where we are going,i'll now more in a couple days. We head to Ausable New York tomorrow,can't wait!!!!!!! I will be checking in on our trip,can't go long without the forum,lol.

Back