Anyone else?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reijel's Mom

Reaction score
My maiden mare is at 354 days today. It is our first baby, out of our first mini, and we have been watching her carefully since day 290.

She has a decent little udder but just the clear sticky fluid, and not much of it. Sometimes it's easily expressed and other times it isn't. She's had the fluid for close to 2 weeks.

Over the past week the mare appears to have gotten much rounder/larger, quite suddenly in my opinion. But sometimes you feel that you are just seeing things when you watch them so carefully!

Other than this - no real signs of progress from what I can tell. Maybe a slightly more V'd shape, not anything dramatic.

I actually did call the vet this AM to see if she thinks it's time she comes out for a wellness check. Haven't heard back yet.

Just hoping others would share their stories and whine along with me, and possibly give me some tips on anything additional to cover with the vet when she does call back.

P.S. I do not think there has been any fescue exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well let's see... I started watching Diana at about day 311 when we thought she was due April 7 for 336 days. March 20th. We hope she foals this week. So that would make it an even 60 days we've been watching her. sigh

Well, we feel like we have been watching forever, because we started watching a mare last year at 300 days around June 1. From then until July 9, I slept in the guest room where I could watch the camera and listen to the monitor without disturbing my husband. Turned out it was a false pregnancy. Don't want to scare anyone, but I had no trouble getting milk from her, which went from clear and watery to white before she decided not to let me take any more samples. Then we had 2 mares bred for this year and one aborted right after Easter, so we are down to our last chance. This mare is due May 30 and we put her on Mare Stare May 1, but we haven't been watching her that closely until now. Buzzer just went on tonight. She looks huge, her bag is getting pretty full and tight , and she seems to be relaxing in all the right places. But ask me in another month......

Well, we feel like we have been watching forever, because we started watching a mare last year at 300 days around June 1. From then until July 9, I slept in the guest room where I could watch the camera and listen to the monitor without disturbing my husband. Turned out it was a false pregnancy. Don't want to scare anyone, but I had no trouble getting milk from her, which went from clear and watery to white before she decided not to let me take any more samples. Then we had 2 mares bred for this year and one aborted right after Easter, so we are down to our last chance. This mare is due May 30 and we put her on Mare Stare May 1, but we haven't been watching her that closely until now. Buzzer just went on tonight. She looks huge, her bag is getting pretty full and tight , and she seems to be relaxing in all the right places. But ask me in another month......
I asked an "experienced person" when I thought my mare was ready. I said 2 days, he said 3 weeks. She delivered the next day. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Sue

We’ve had mares foaling since March! We did have a bit of a break between foalings, and now are watching three mares. I think we are within a few days to a few weeks, but you know how that goes! Our last foal is due sometime in July or August. It's been a long season, but well worth all the sleepless nights.

Hope you all get some relief soon. Very best to all of you.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I purposely breed my mares to space the foalings out. I had a friend's mare here to foal as well. She was due March 20th and she foaled May 14th. My first mare was due April 20th and has not foaled yet! My second mare was due May 17th and I am now waiting on her as well. What the heck is going on?????
default_wacko.png

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with posting pictures of my girl? I would have to send them to a person through Kodak gallery.

Vet called back and says she wonders if she is even pregnant at 355 days, but she hasn't seen her since around day 300 - at which time she thought she was probably bred and just starting udder development.

She may NOT be bred and honestly that is ok, this little baby was just going to be a forever pet for us as all our animals are, and we can create another one of those some other time, but the constant mare stare is just getting tiring!

I have 4 more mares to foal this year. One is starting to bag up and since she was pasture bred, I have no idea how many days gestation she is.
default_wacko.png
Two are due in July based on 11 month due dates and one more in September. Those last 3 are sired by Redrock Magic Maker and I can't wait for them to get here!
default_biggrin.png

Any others want to pipe in that are at 355 plus days waiting. . .and waiting. . . and waiting?? I could swear my girl is bred, BUT. . .

Sorry, I am not waiting anymore. But I can tell you Miranda foaled at 349 days. She is not a maiden. I will help watch her for you. It is the least I can do! My Maiden foaled at 330 days a few years ago. Hopefully she will go soon....
default_wink.png

Well we have been watching our maiden mare since day 300 since we were told that miniature mares can go early. She is 379 today. She is definately pregnant 2 weeks ago we had her ultrasounded to make sure that everything was ok. She has completely dropped, hardly any bag but some. She is just now starting to get soft around her tail. She is happy as a lark and still runs around and the baby kicks. But I am at the point of giving up. Seriously!! :DOH!
default_no.gif
default_biggrin.png

Oh my, chocolat dreams! Please be sure to post when you have that baby - can't believe you are still waiting!!

Sorry, I am not waiting anymore. But I can tell you Miranda foaled at 349 days. She is not a maiden. I will help watch her for you. It is the least I can do! My Maiden foaled at 330 days a few years ago. Hopefully she will go soon....
default_wink.png

Thanks but my girly isn't on camera
default_smile.png
. Hubby and I work opposite shifts so there is just a short window when no one is home, and if she was showing signs she wouldn't be left unattended. Took a vacation day to watch her as a matter of fact - FOUR Fridays ago
default_biggrin.png
! Was just SURE baby was coming that day.

Your Miranda foaled a GORGEOUS baby!!

Would any nice forum members be willing to let me PM them some pics of my girl to see if she does indeed appear bred to you?

I'm not savy enough to post photos. Someday when I have some free time I'll learn
default_smile.png

Well, my maiden mare went 387 days this year so don't fret yet! lol. I would be happy to post your pictures for you. Just email them to me at [email protected] and I will put them on. I look forward to seeing her.

Thanks, Painted Meadows, much appreciated
default_wub.png
!

I should note that the 4th shot down (udder close up from the back) was from this AM, when her udder is at it's largest. All of the other shots are from approximately 2 weeks ago, but I wouldn't say there is a lot of change from then to now.

I've been watching one of my mares for weeks. Just when I think she can't get any bigger, she does. Her udder went from very small to huge in a matter of days. When she goes in at night there is a slight change in udder size but not much. According to the foaling estimator she is due on June 16th, I did it for 340 days. I don't know how she can go that long, she's huge!!!

Leslie

I wish I could be more help to you, but I have a mare that has looked like those pictures for about 4 weeks now. I don't know the exact days of gestation as I didn't breed her, but she was supposed to be due the last week of April or first week of May. She looks sooo miserable right now.

my mare looks much simialr to yours! Her bag looks exactly the same, real loose in the back end but my gal is alot more V shaped it wont be her first though, and she normally foals at the 320 day maker, I have been waiting but I think her bag needs to fill more she will be at 320 days may 29th and she has never carried a foal past the 320 days, but you never know with your mare as madien mares sometimes dont really get all that big until they foal. Just keep an eye on her you never know!

You are very welcome. Glad I could help, she is super pretty and I hope she foals for you soon!!

Latest posts

Back